Author Topic: So Melo could be worse that Collins  (Read 9641 times)

Re: So Melo could be worse that Collins
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 03:14:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This might be one of the most unfair threads i've ever seen on CB. Then against i've seen them for every rookie for the past 5 years.

Yeah, pretty silly to make a judgment about a guy based on how he plays in a handful of minutes of garbage time.

Until Melo plays 10-20 minutes a night for 5-10 games, we can't really draw any conclusions.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 03:55:23 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Until Melo plays 10-20 minutes a night for 5-10 games, we can't really draw any conclusions.

There are reasonable conclusions that one can draw if he doesn't get that playing time.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 04:55:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

There are reasonable conclusions that one can draw if he doesn't get that playing time.

Sure, that he's not ready yet, or at least that the coaching staff doesn't think he is, or that it would be better for him to spend more time learning before playing him significant minutes.

That's not the same thing as saying Melo is worse (e.g. less productive / even less skilled offensively etc.) than Jason Collins.

The point is, until he's played some real minutes it's stupid to draw conclusions about his ability to produce at an NBA level because there's just no visible evidence one way or another.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 05:35:53 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Like others have said, it was too limited of a sample size to draw too much from it in my opinion. Also, doesn't he have a quad injury or something?
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:33 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Give him time.  Look at how long it took Courtney Lee to get comfortable in Boston, and even Jeff Green has only just started to come alive in the last month.

You're talking about a guy who's yet to place even 10 minutes of NBA time.

Hell even Sully looked like his game needed alot of work in his first month or so of action. 

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
LOL!!!! He played like 2 minutes in garbage time against a guy who was already warmed up & playing well.

Unfair thread...

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You could see his bad hands on that rebound.   But he looked huge out there and had great size.  I think he has been working hard on his body.

Defensively, he is a better help defender  and shot blocker than Collins and has great potential there.   But he was clearly lost on some of the rotations and still isn't up to snuff and needs work.

I don't think his team mates like him or the they don't respect him because usually guys try to get a guy they like a point or shot when they come in.   I saw several times where he was posted up and they ignored him.  There could be several reasons for this:   1) They don't like him  2) They were stat padding for themselves  3) They don't trust him or 4) They see him as a threat.

Give him the ball down low when he has position!

Sully had tons of basketball IQ.   I don't think Melo does save on defensive.   But that is ok because I think he is a hard worker.  He looked like he has been in the weight room a lot.   Now he just needs to play with a tennis ball against the ball all the time until his hands improve, juggle and do ball handling Maravich drills.  If he does this his hands will improve.   Hands are easy to improve, foot coordination is much harder.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think he was a particularly good player in college, and I don't expect him to become a starter in the NBA.  That said, it's too early to say anything about where his skills will eventually end up, and it's certainly not fair to make long-term judgments based upon a handful of minutes in his first NBA game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The only things Melo's two minutes of garbage time showed me:

He's big.

He's wide. 

He needs a better drawstring on his basketball shorts. 

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
For the record, I'm not calling Melo a bust.  I think he was obviously nervous and it showed.  My ONLY point was to say that right now, at this moment, that Collins is better prepared to help the Celts than Melo. 

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 10:09:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's big.

He's wide.

he did look huge.

I was laughing at this shorts issues too, dude was D-ing up with one hand on his pants because the other was holding up his pants.

I don't think he is a bust.  He is a project.  Our system is built for a limited C because it was designed with Perk in mind. 

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Yes, it was only two minutes or whatever but he was a beat slow.  He was chasing the play, not keeping up.  Same problem that O'Bryant had.  That is not something that can be taught.  It is innate reaction time.

I fear he is not that good.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
If in those 3 minutes if PT Melo grabbed a couple of rebounds, dunked a ball or two, and has a monster-block on someone, we would be putting him into the HOF.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Yes, it was only two minutes or whatever but he was a beat slow.  He was chasing the play, not keeping up.  Same problem that O'Bryant had.  That is not something that can be taught.  It is innate reaction time.

I fear he is not that good.

He's been dealing with a leg injury. 

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The only things Melo's two minutes of garbage time showed me:

He's big.

He's wide. 

The last point being most glaring IMO.
Yup