Author Topic: Sullinger's Injury  (Read 5145 times)

Re: Sullinger's Injury
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I had noticed the pat several weeks Sully had put on weight and seemed  to move slower and less effective.the effort was there, but I guess he was hurting. And keeping it to himself and inside the locker room.

Sully really needs to trim down and hit the weights...........

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Sully needs to lose some abdominal fat and strengthen up his core.  He's transitioning from fat kid to pro athlete.

Sully is listed at 280 pounds. I don't believe he's at 10% body fat.  I'm guessing he's at around 13%.  That would give him around 37 pounds of fat on his body and 243 pounds of lean mass. 

If he can get to 6%, that would be a weight of around 260 pounds, with 15 pounds of fat and 245 of lean mass.  I'd rather have him at 270 with 255 of lean mass and 15 pounds of fat, something he should be able to do in a year, with the right diet and exercise (assuming he can exercise within a couple of months after the surgery).     

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Its now official, just like Bradley, Sully will have nagging injuries for the rest of his career... But I still dont want Ainge to trade them
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
I missed that Sully already had surgery.  Sounds like it went well, which is great news. 

Feel like slapping Falk for this though ...
“The Celtics knew when they drafted him there was a certain level of risk that required surgery, as did several other teams,” said Falk. “Some teams treated it like he was going to have a heart attack or something. [The Celtics’] Brian McKeon is one of the most confident team doctors I’ve ever dealt with. There were so secrets, nobody was trying to hide any facts. There was a possibility that he could require surgery, but the recovery time is less than an ACL.”

Don't joke about heart conditions for any Celtics player dude.

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I had noticed the pat several weeks Sully had put on weight and seemed  to move slower and less effective.the effort was there, but I guess he was hurting. And keeping it to himself and inside the locker room.

Sully really needs to trim down and hit the weights...........
I hadn't paid attention to him in recent games... and was shocked to see him check in one of those right before the injury. Kid looked nothing like he did in training camp, his rear end was GINORMOUS.

I didn't think he had weight issues at the start of the year, but now he clearly does.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This stuff is so hard to know, because it could all be spin.  We do know this was a known issue, because it was widely publicized before the draft.  But as far as whether the surgery can actually fix the problem longterm, it's hard to tell.

If his injury in the first place was something that could have been fixed with a surgery, I don't know why they wouldn't have just done that right away. 

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This stuff is so hard to know, because it could all be spin.  We do know this was a known issue, because it was widely publicized before the draft.  But as far as whether the surgery can actually fix the problem longterm, it's hard to tell.

If his injury in the first place was something that could have been fixed with a surgery, I don't know why they wouldn't have just done that right away.
He's got a disc issue in his back. Once you have surgery for this, my understanding is it's all downhill from there (as in, it never goes away, and you may periodically need operative work again).

So I don't think this is going to fix the issue long-term.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Bad injury. Tough surgery.

Same surgery as Dwight Howard.

The good thing is he is younger and that really helps. He also barely relies on his athleticism. That's a plus.

I mentioned before that I have had this surgery. Sully will never be able to come back 100% to where he was from an athletic standpoint. Yet, since that wasn't a huge part of his game it's hard to tell how impacted he will be.

I don't expect to see as sever a decline in Sully as we have Dwight.

That being said I would wait until he shows something, and then really think about moving him if you can get a good return. After this surgery he is no where near as untouchable as I thought and I no longer believe him to be Kevin Love 2.0.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Larry Johnson had a known back injury, and had a very productive career

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Who knows how effective the surgery will be but with a guy like Sully (smart, tough, talented with good character) you hope for the best - he looks green in green banging under the boards.

He's not ripped but he looks like one of those guys who is just naturally really strong and probably never had to lift too hard to be stronger than most of the guys he's faced over his career.

I think if he could trim body fat and get about 10-15 lbs of upper body muscle he could really be a load in the paint. He looks small through the shoulders next to guys like Reggie Evans.

The good thing is, it doesn't appear that he has as long of a way to go as Perkins did when he arrived in the league - Perkins was doughy...  Sully has "some cut" to him already. 

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I missed that Sully already had surgery.  Sounds like it went well, which is great news. 

Feel like slapping Falk for this though ...
“The Celtics knew when they drafted him there was a certain level of risk that required surgery, as did several other teams,” said Falk. “Some teams treated it like he was going to have a heart attack or something. [The Celtics’] Brian McKeon is one of the most confident team doctors I’ve ever dealt with. There were so secrets, nobody was trying to hide any facts. There was a possibility that he could require surgery, but the recovery time is less than an ACL.”

Don't joke about heart conditions for any Celtics player dude.

Or any, ftm
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully is most likely used to playing in pain already.    Hopefully he can rework his body , strengthen his core.    Most of his game comes from his instinctive skills.  Since his game is about brute strength. and positioning , I think he'll be ok.   Reduced pain and a better weight and more core strength he could actually play better.   Sully is ten times smarter than Howard.   Howard 's game was above the rimland dunks.....he looks as if he has maybe 80% of his original lift.

I'm confident Sully will return and will still play well......if he works on his body like he should.

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Been around three or four of these, and you never entirely come back.

With appropriate training - and scrupulous weight management - this deal can be managed, although I've never seen a back surgery athlete go more than five years without some sort of problem.

It certainly isn't good news for a player who looked like he was going to be an outstanding pro.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."