Author Topic: Sullinger's Injury  (Read 5146 times)

Sullinger's Injury
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:16:09 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
When I first heard about Sully I was so bummed and worried about his long term future as a Celtic.

But from what I understood from pregame live the Celtics knew he was eventually going to need this at some point to correct it. And he can actually come out of this "fixed" and have a longer healthier career.

Did anyone else hear it this way, or am I trying to put way to much positive spin on this crappy situation?

Re: Sullinger's Injury
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
yea I heard the same thing too, but still skeptical . The only good thing is Sully is used to using his IQ and strong body, and not athleticism .

By the way in the pre game show Tanguay said he wants Sully to lose 25 lbs. He thinks he has so much skill that he can still be effective 25lbs less. Donny was disagreeing , saying it would affect his game too much .

What do you guys think ?

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:23:32 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
it would affect his game because like big baby, they use their weight for positioning and boxing out.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I wouldn't say 25 lbs, but 10-15 would do wonders in my opinion. That's less weight on his back, would make him more explosive, quicker on second jumps, help his conditioning so he could play at a high level longer, and make his postional defense even better.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I wouldn't say 25 lbs, but 10-15 would do wonders in my opinion. That's less weight on his back, would make him more explosive, quicker on second jumps, help his conditioning so he could play at a high level longer, and make his postional defense even better.

And soon enough, we'll have Brandon Bass v2.0!

But I think he needs weight somehow. Hm. Lose 15 would be good.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
yea I heard the same thing too, but still skeptical . The only good thing is Sully is used to using his IQ and strong body, and not athleticism .

By the way in the pre game show Tanguay said he wants Sully to lose 25 lbs. He thinks he has so much skill that he can still be effective 25lbs less. Donny was disagreeing , saying it would affect his game too much .

What do you guys think ?

I agree with Tanguay. He should drop 25 pounds, and then add muscle weight. He should take cues from David Lee and Kevin Love. And delete Glen Davis' number if he has it

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

What do you guys think ?

His large frame is part of his game, if he's going to lose some pounds it should not be more than 10. He seems fine workung with the large body, 10 pounds should be enough.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:37:24 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Losing 25 completely, yes that would affect his game. Losing 25 pounds of fat (which he certainly has to lose, and adding 10 pounds of lean muscle would do him wonders. It would help his back to no end. Especially with the amount of core strengthening he is going to be doing over the next 9 months

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:56 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
i fully expect sully to be the incredible hulk next season.
could you imagine a muscular and leaner sullinger with a stronger core.
great hands, soft touch, big backside to box out with.
and plays like an 80's bigman.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:58:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think people understand that Sullinger has 10% body fat.  What's your body fat percentage?

If Sullinger lost 25 pounds, that would include a significant amount of muscle.  He's not a great athlete.  Sully has to have size down low to do what he does.  If he lost a bunch of weight it would seriously hurt his game.  More than the potential added agility or lift would help it.

Losing weight for big bruisers is not always a good thing.  Look how much it helped Perk to lose a ton of weight (not one bit).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:56:16 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

And soon enough, we'll have Brandon Bass v2.0!

But I think he needs weight somehow. Hm. Lose 15 would be good.
Sully has way higher iq than bass so i don't worry bout v2.0.lol but i do agree that he needs to lose weight and gain lean muscles instead.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:17 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He seems very strong.  He's not cut up but I'm sure he has plenty of muscle under his flab.  I wouldn't mind him taking off 7-10 lbs of fat and then evaluate the results.  I'm sure it would help his game.  I've never really seen a player get worse from getting in better shape.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-phUvichQ6xU/Ti2FI3BfO4I/AAAAAAAAFWk/XDB7L6hukQY/s1600/h0sojlikj.jpeg

i think he just needs to put on solid muscle

When a professional basketball player has to suck in his stomach for a photo, he's probably got a little fat he could well part with.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He seems very strong.

He only benched 185 lbs 9 times at the combo that is pathetic.   I am sure he is stronger now with pro workouts but when he came here he was big but not strong.   Some guys know how to use their butt and their body.   He does have that in spades.   I do think he has the potential to be very strong and the best is yet to come.  Guys can play strong without being strong.   Sully has foot work and positioning so he plays much stronger than what he is folks.