Author Topic: Green should get bulk of PF minutes  (Read 3283 times)

Re: Green should get bulk of PF minutes
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He is a better SF
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Anyone else think Green is one of the best dunkers in the league? He is taller and jumps higher than lebron.

A 6'9 dunking the way he does, its just plain unfair. Two dunks tonight. Eventually every other possession he will start dunking it =]

jumps higher than lebron? nope, Lebron is probably the most athletic player ever, or top 5 at least.

Id classify Eric Bledsoe for just as athletic as lebron given their height/weight differences

Here is the thing about athleticism: Height and weight matter, a lot. Eric Bledseo jumps higher, runs faster, and has better lateral quickness than Lebron, but he's only marginally more athletic than most guys his own height. Lebron meanwhile is faster, quicker, stronger, and more co-or donated than virtually anyone his own size in the history of the game. There are athletic freaks on Lebron's level, but precious few of them could put it together like Lebron can.

And Oddly enough, the perfect example is Shaquille O'Neal. Sure, he was slower and couldnt jump any higher than just about any 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the league. But he was stronger, faster, quicker, more explosive, and more co-ordinated as a package than any 7 footer who has ever played.

Jason Collins vs Shaq 5 mile race. Who wins!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I have to think we stick with what is finally starting to work.  JG at the 3 backing up PP, and reducing Paul's minutes so Green can get between 25-35 min a game.  JG just isn't an effective PF.

We have had enough changes to the lineups this year, with tinkering early, and with injuries now.  Keep JG mainly at the 3 and only move him to the 4 when we want that matchup on D (melo/LBJ).

Jeff's been getting a lot of minutes at the four lately, though.  That is a big part of what's been working.   He also played some minutes with Paul in the Sacramento game where they were playing the 2 and the 3 together. 

That's the versatility and flexibility Doc's been saying that he wanted Jeff to bring to this team.  I'm not sure why it's taken him this long to start utilizing it more. 

I don't want Jeff Green pigeon holed in to one role (backup small forward, for example).  I like him being used in multiple roles.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I have to think we stick with what is finally starting to work.  JG at the 3 backing up PP, and reducing Paul's minutes so Green can get between 25-35 min a game.  JG just isn't an effective PF.

We have had enough changes to the lineups this year, with tinkering early, and with injuries now.  Keep JG mainly at the 3 and only move him to the 4 when we want that matchup on D (melo/LBJ).

Jeff's been getting a lot of minutes at the four lately, though.  That is a big part of what's been working.   He also played some minutes with Paul in the Sacramento game where they were playing the 2 and the 3 together. 

That's the versatility and flexibility Doc's been saying that he wanted Jeff to bring to this team.  I'm not sure why it's taken him this long to start utilizing it more. 

I don't want Jeff Green pigeon holed in to one role (backup small forward, for example).  I like him being used in multiple roles.

I think the critical thing is that matchups are critical. Against Lebron, I think Green can pull it off. Melo too. Against Pau Gasol? Paul Millsap? Blake Griffin? It's a slaughter that makes the difference between a win and a loss.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 12:33:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I think the critical thing is that matchups are critical. Against Lebron, I think Green can pull it off. Melo too. Against Pau Gasol? Paul Millsap? Blake Griffin? It's a slaughter that makes the difference between a win and a loss.

I agree.  It's all about the match ups.  It was interesting in the last Miami game, I found myself thinking that Spoelstra would have been better off replacing Battier with Haslem down the stretch of that game.  If he had done that, would that have forced Doc to take Green or Pierce out of the game?  We needed both of those guys down the stretch.  Green for his D on Lebron and Pierce for, well, everything else. 

I just loved that. It was great coaching by Doc.  He definitely won that chess match by outMiamiing Miami. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd like to apologize for the sentence 'the critical thing is that matchups are critical'. I will drink a beer as penance, and pray that is sufficient.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 12:41:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I'd like to apologize for the sentence 'the critical thing is that matchups are critical'. I will drink a beer as penance, and pray that is sufficient.

It may take two or three (more) to atone. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:48:21 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It make take two or three (more) to atone.

Done and done.

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 01:50:46 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Indeed proceed, I believe you should proceed indeed.

Sorry, couldnt stop myself.