Author Topic: Green should get bulk of PF minutes  (Read 3281 times)

Green should get bulk of PF minutes
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think for the Celtics to be at their best moving forward Jeff Green needs to be playing extended pf min. He's not great defensively or rebounding there but neither is Bass or Wilcox.

It gives a new look and maybe can change thebdynamic of the team a bit.

Also think Terry should start getting heavier minutes (prob obvious) but we should give him a shot to run this team or at least try and carry them offensively for extended amounts of time

Re: Green should get bulk of PF minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I think for the Celtics to be at their best moving forward Jeff Green needs to be playing extended pf min. He's not great defensively or rebounding there but neither is Bass or Wilcox.

It gives a new look and maybe can change thebdynamic of the team a bit.

Also think Terry should start getting heavier minutes (prob obvious) but we should give him a shot to run this team or at least try and carry them offensively for extended amounts of time

Hmm.

Starting Bradley, Lee, Pierce, Green, and KG would make Green the likely 2nd option on offense.  That might be pretty good.

Clearing things up w/the 2nd unit by moving up Green opens up scoring opportunities for JET and Barbosa to score more and run a pick/pop with Bass, which should be pretty good, too.

As much as I don't like Green at PF, this might make the most sense.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Green at PF is not good.  I think I'd rather have Pierce play PF with Green at SF if we're going that route.

About the only time I like seeing Green at PF is when we face LeBron/Melo, or other SF's masquerading as PF's.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
We might be forced into it now just by pure numbers and depth but I've never been a big fan of Green at the 4.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree.  I like Green at the 4 with Paul at the 3, particularly when you consider that the top two teams in the East like playing their superstar small forwards as power forwards. 

Doc also ran a bit of Jeff at the two with Paul at the three in the Sacto game.  That's the kind of ability-to-guard-multiple-positions flexibility that I've been hoping for out of Jeff Green. 

I feel like the kid is starting to pay off. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Green at PF is not good.  I think I'd rather have Pierce play PF with Green at SF if we're going that route.

About the only time I like seeing Green at PF is when we face LeBron/Melo, or other SF's masquerading as PF's.

I don't think it matters who is the 3 and who is the 4. They will pic up who ever they match up with better, and run the same plays.

It's like when people say Sully is at the C ad KG at the PF, and usally Kg is playing the Center, unless the Center isn't as athletic as the PF.

So it would just be a matter of do you want them on the floor at the beginning of the game at the same time.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Theoretical reasons to play Green at the 4:

1) More athletic than most 4's, better transition opportunities

2) Quicker with more range than most 4's, could lead to offensive mismatches

Probable Outcomes, based on Green's career;

1) Overall weakening of an already weak rebounding unit. Green's rebounding at the 4 would be among the league's worst from the power forward position

2) overall weakening of the frontcourt, weakening the unit as a whole. Green has shown zero ability to play acceptable defense against bigger stronger opposing 4's

3) a slight offensive advantage from Green, but not one big enough to compensate for points 1 and 2

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I have to think we stick with what is finally starting to work.  JG at the 3 backing up PP, and reducing Paul's minutes so Green can get between 25-35 min a game.  JG just isn't an effective PF.

We have had enough changes to the lineups this year, with tinkering early, and with injuries now.  Keep JG mainly at the 3 and only move him to the 4 when we want that matchup on D (melo/LBJ).

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anyone else think Green is one of the best dunkers in the league? He is taller and jumps higher than lebron.

A 6'9 dunking the way he does, its just plain unfair. Two dunks tonight. Eventually every other possession he will start dunking it =]

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I have to think we stick with what is finally starting to work.  JG at the 3 backing up PP, and reducing Paul's minutes so Green can get between 25-35 min a game.  JG just isn't an effective PF.

We have had enough changes to the lineups this year, with tinkering early, and with injuries now.  Keep JG mainly at the 3 and only move him to the 4 when we want that matchup on D (melo/LBJ).

This makes the most sense. Pray Wilcox can get healthy, that Bass comes around.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Anyone else think Green is one of the best dunkers in the league? He is taller and jumps higher than lebron.

A 6'9 dunking the way he does, its just plain unfair. Two dunks tonight. Eventually every other possession he will start dunking it =]

jumps higher than lebron? nope, Lebron is probably the most athletic player ever, or top 5 at least.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Theoretical reasons to play Green at the 4:

1) More athletic than most 4's, better transition opportunities

2) Quicker with more range than most 4's, could lead to offensive mismatches

Probable Outcomes, based on Green's career;

1) Overall weakening of an already weak rebounding unit. Green's rebounding at the 4 would be among the league's worst from the power forward position

2) overall weakening of the frontcourt, weakening the unit as a whole. Green has shown zero ability to play acceptable defense against bigger stronger opposing 4's

3) a slight offensive advantage from Green, but not one big enough to compensate for points 1 and 2

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

The thing is he is still probably a better option than bass and clearly Wilcox. Its more about necessity than anything. Bottom line I think more floor time for him gives us a better chance to win at this point

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

jumps higher than lebron? nope, Lebron is probably the most athletic player ever, or top 5 at least.

trust me, Green jumps higher. Lebron is athletic but doesn't have the highest vertical

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:04 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Id classify Eric Bledsoe for just as athletic as lebron given their height/weight differences

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Id classify Eric Bledsoe for just as athletic as lebron given their height/weight differences

Here is the thing about athleticism: Height and weight matter, a lot. Eric Bledseo jumps higher, runs faster, and has better lateral quickness than Lebron, but he's only marginally more athletic than most guys his own height. Lebron meanwhile is faster, quicker, stronger, and more co-or donated than virtually anyone his own size in the history of the game. There are athletic freaks on Lebron's level, but precious few of them could put it together like Lebron can.

And Oddly enough, the perfect example is Shaquille O'Neal. Sure, he was slower and couldnt jump any higher than just about any 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the league. But he was stronger, faster, quicker, more explosive, and more co-ordinated as a package than any 7 footer who has ever played.