Author Topic: CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry  (Read 8587 times)

Re: CBS Sports that teams "have begun inquiring" about Jason Terry
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm torn.

I want to play out the season and see the team go down fighting.  At the same time, dumping Terry for any sort of positive asset makes sense.

As a fan, I'd rather see KG and Pierce retire in green like Bird, McHale and DJ did.  But at this point, not making a move is just delaying the rebuilding process and likely making it harder.  If this team had played up to its potential and we were 2nd or 3rd in the East, you could argue for giving it one last run.  As a sub .500 team that could very well lose the 8th spot to Philly if Bynum ever steps on the court, what else is there to say?

Mike

Think of it this way:  if we get a couple of sold-out home games in the playoffs, the team is more likely to use that money to buy a draft pick.  That's gotta be worth at least as much as we're likely to get for Pierce in a trade.

With the next salary cap/luxury tax rules, I suspect the buying of draft picks is going to almost disappear.

And if Ainge could get Danny Granger for Pierce, kicking his tires and then either resigning him for using his expiring contract would be better than just about any 25 to 30 draft pick.

Mike

Is a declining 29 year old coming off an injury really going to help our rebuilding effort?

I think Pierce's contract would have as much value at draft time as Granger's would going forward.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:49:06 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If that trade doesn't help us this year, pass.

That's pretty illogical thinking IMO ,we aren't competing for anything , and Terry is on a long term contract. What's the point of keeping him if you can clear cap space and pick up a pick ?

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd trade him in a heartbeat he is not peforming at all and has been a big disappointment outside a few games but I like him as a person.  But I would want draft picks or young guys who need a new start.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no way, you keep him. He has been huge post rondo. Where was he all year long?

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
no way, you keep him. He has been huge post rondo. Where was he all year long?

He's been masquerading as a washed-up Ray Allen in Doc's offense while Rondo pounds the rock.

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

That's pretty illogical thinking IMO ,we aren't competing for anything , and Terry is on a long term contract. What's the point of keeping him if you can clear cap space and pick up a pick ?

You might not want to compete for anything, but I am, and the team certainly is.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I was hard on Jet......but I now think maybe Rondo walking the ball,holding it , killing the offensive flow  was large part of Jet , Lee,and Greens problem.

Not kick n. Rondo when he is down,  but Doc and DA need to make him play a looser offensive game where he doesn't stand around dribbling the ball all day

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
love Terry,  but this would be a no brainer. 

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Let them inquire.

Don't give up on Jet, Danny!

Just hang up the phone, plain and simple.

The buzzards have been flying over this team for yrs, now.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

The fact that next year's draft is weak and any player we get back is most likely going to be utterly useless - think Jajuan Johnson at best.

Terry has the potential to play better with Rondo out and a bigger role, and I have a feeling he will.   The deadline is three weeks away, so why not hold onto Terry until then and see how he goes?

If his production goes up then we have two possibilities:
1. His trade value goes up
2. He proves he is worth keeping

Either way we are better off than if we trade him now for nothing.

If we MUST clear cap space I'd much rather trade Bass to Toronto for Pietrus (assuming they have the cap space to swallow his contract) and slide Green into the starting PF spot.  Terry's much more valuable to us than Bass if we do get to the playoffs due to his historical tendancy to perform at a high level in the playoffs and in the clutch.  Plus he's a veteran leader who could help player development, whereas Bass is hardly a role model.

With Rondo gone Terry is really the only backcourt player with have with extensive playoff experience.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Glad to hear some teams are still interested in acquiring Terry.

At this point, I'd give him up for a second round pick if it meant getting under the luxury tax.  That should be Danny's #1 option.  No sense at all in paying luxury tax for a team that probably won't make the playoffs.

I agree with others who have mentioned the Grizz -- they could use a bench shooter and they have trade exceptions.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 04:02:02 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I've been much more open to trading Lee/Bass/Green than Terry, who will be huge in the playoffs.  At this point though I wouldn't complain if he was the difference maker in us getting a serious 4/5.  Barbosa is perfectly capable of those minutes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've been much more open to trading Lee/Bass/Green than Terry, who will be huge in the playoffs.  At this point though I wouldn't complain if he was the difference maker in us getting a serious 4/5.  Barbosa is perfectly capable of those minutes.

In what way will Terry be "huge" in the playoffs?

Hitting those big threes that will cut the late game lead to single digits so the final score doesn't look so bad?

At this point, cutting money off the cap so we can avoid paying the luxury tax for a borderline playoff team is a bigger priority than possibly being a bit more competitive if we do make the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 05:44:50 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

You might not want to compete for anything, but I am, and the team certainly is.
This. Whoever's thinking that the C's are not competing for anything must be a faux fan. I'd say keep terry, get a servicable big and trade bass then see how far this team go.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 07:44:08 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
With Rondo gone I'd like to see what Terry can do.  I think more touches and more minutes will make him more effective.

Please don't suggest rebuilding yet.  Whoever watced the 1993 season will remember it was a little depressing watching the team without Larry and with McHale and Chief hurting.  But the team still made the playoffs and McHale was able to turn back the clock.  It was amazing to see.  The next remotely exciting game was the 1998 opener against the Bulls, Rick Pitino's opening night.  If you want to rebuild get ready for a long drought.

I'd prefer seeing KG and Pierce for as many games as possible because it might be years before we get another Hall of Famer.