Poll

What happens, now that Sully is out too?

12th seed
11th seed
10th seed
9th seed
First round exit
Second round exit
ECF exit
Finals exit

Author Topic: Poll: How far do we go?  (Read 2842 times)

Re: Poll: How far do we go?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm incredulous at the amount of people that don't think this team amounts to much.

I think many naysayers are up for a rude awakening about what this team is made of.

They have a decent chance to get the 8th seed and a decent chance to finish 9th. 7th seed would be a long shot as would any lower than 9th. They lost their first or second best player in Rondo, and the best rebounder on the team. What am I missing? The front court consists of KG who is still a beast, but limited in minutes; Chris Wilcox who I love, but who has never been able to stay healthy; and Brandon Bass, a dwarf power forward. Again, what am I missing? What is the rude awakening I and everyone else is in for?

There's a reason we got depth this year... and I find it funny the amount of panic when we're actually going to put that depth to use.

Our two majorly problems this year have been chemistry with Rondo (regardless of how you feel about Rondo being our best player on the team or not) and our perimeter defense.

Those two issues have been taken care off, and sadly it took Rondo getting injured for it to happen.

All that remain is to solidify our big man rotation, and we have two open roster spots available, but sorry if I don't get too down in a playoff series if I have to go with a 3-man rotation of KG-Bass-Wilcox with occasional minutes of Green, and then Collins against certain match-ups.

This is the best constructed team we've had in some years, and I'd argue the best constructed team in the KG era.

I see us playing elite defense going forward, and we'll be tough to beat when that happens. Do you think we won't be good defensively?

They will be good defensively. That's about it. They will struggle to make the playoffs with the current roster. Depth made up of a lot of role players doesn't win championships or take you deep into the playoffs. I honestly have never seen anything like this in my life. Not specifically focused on you, but this is the only time I can remember a team losing two of its top 5-6 players and fans thinking they still have a good chance to win a championship. It really is mind-boggling.

Bunch of role players? Oh man. What does that even mean? We have KG and Pierce in our team still, what more do you need than a "bunch of role players"?

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
A healthy Pierce & a Healthy K.G. is all this team needs... Throw anyone surrounding them we're winning #18

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
All that remain is to solidify our big man rotation, and we have two open roster spots available, but sorry if I don't get too down in a playoff series if I have to go with a 3-man rotation of KG-Bass-Wilcox with occasional minutes of Green, and then Collins against certain match-ups.

I think it is going to be important to find a 4th rotation quality big man to round out that big man rotation. If they can find a solid piece there, I think it would make a big difference to Boston's depth. Not a high end backup five. Just a passable one.

I don't think KG, Bass and Wilcox are suited to a three player big man rotation. Bass is a limited power forward who is best off in the 20-25 minute bracket. So too is Chris Wilcox. Garnett is minutes limited around the 30mpg marker. They need another body in there. Somebody who can soak up some minutes without killing the team (like Collins is liable to do on a fairly regular basis).

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I'm incredulous at the amount of people that don't think this team amounts to much.

I think many naysayers are up for a rude awakening about what this team is made of.

They have a decent chance to get the 8th seed and a decent chance to finish 9th. 7th seed would be a long shot as would any lower than 9th. They lost their first or second best player in Rondo, and the best rebounder on the team. What am I missing? The front court consists of KG who is still a beast, but limited in minutes; Chris Wilcox who I love, but who has never been able to stay healthy; and Brandon Bass, a dwarf power forward. Again, what am I missing? What is the rude awakening I and everyone else is in for?

There's a reason we got depth this year... and I find it funny the amount of panic when we're actually going to put that depth to use.

Our two majorly problems this year have been chemistry with Rondo (regardless of how you feel about Rondo being our best player on the team or not) and our perimeter defense.

Those two issues have been taken care off, and sadly it took Rondo getting injured for it to happen.

This is the best constructed team we've had in some years, and I'd argue the best constructed team in the KG era.

I see us playing elite defense going forward, and we'll be tough to beat when that happens. Do you think we won't be good defensively?

They will be good defensively. That's about it. They will struggle to make the playoffs with the current roster. Depth made up of a lot of role players doesn't win championships or take you deep into the playoffs. I honestly have never seen anything like this in my life. Not specifically focused on you, but this is the only time I can remember a team losing two of its top 5-6 players and fans thinking they still have a good chance to win a championship. It really is mind-boggling.

Bunch of role players? Oh man. What does that even mean? We have KG and Pierce in our team still, what more do you need than a "bunch of role players"?

Bunch of role players = Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Jason Collins, Leandro Barbosa, Chris Wilcox and so on. And yes, they have the aging KG, who is still a beast, but whose minutes have to be limited, and an aging Paul Pierce who also should have his minutes limited. As with the other night with the irrational talk about Rondo, I am going to quit now. There is really no arguing with people who still think this is a contending team.

I am going to sit back and enjoy the silly season here

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Bunch of role players = Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Jeff Green, Jason Collins, Leandro Barbosa, Chris Wilcox and so on. And yes, they have the aging KG, who is still a best, but whose minutes have to be limited, and an aging Paul Pierce who also should have his minutes limited. As with the other night with the irrational talk about Rondo, I am going to quit now. There is really no arguing with people who still think this is a contending team.

Same there really is no arguing with people who don't think this is a contending team O.o

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A bunch of quality role players + Garnett and Pierce could be a 50 win caliber team.

If in a well-balanced roster.

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I think it is going to be important to find a 4th rotation quality big man to round out that big man rotation. If they can find a solid piece there, I think it would make a big difference to Boston's depth. Not a high end backup five. Just a passable one.

I don't think KG, Bass and Wilcox are suited to a three player big man rotation. Bass is a limited power forward who is best off in the 20-25 minute bracket. So too is Chris Wilcox. Garnett is minutes limited around the 30mpg marker. They need another body in there. Somebody who can soak up some minutes without killing the team (like Collins is liable to do on a fairly regular basis).

Agree, which is why I keep pointing to our 2 open roster spots. But not too concerned about that 3 man rotation myself if needed be, more concerned with the depth aspect than anything. We'll see.

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

A bunch of quality role players + Garnett and Pierce in a well balanced roster could be a 50 win caliber team.

So they have 22 wins now. and they have 37 games left. Are you suggesting they can go 28-9 the rest of the way?

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
A bunch of quality role players + Garnett and Pierce could be a 50 win caliber team.

Which I think this is, but apparently most disagree, and our roster is not even finished yet.

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

Which I think this is, but apparently most disagree, and our roster is not even finished yet.

I will ask you the same question. Are they going 28-9 the rest of the way to get to 50 wins?

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Play the season out.

If the proverbial Bass for Mozgov + Randolph trade happens I like the chances to get the #6 seed. Then anything can happen in the playoffs. Terry may seem like a role player, but he deserved to be co-MVP in the 2011 Finals.

With Sully out for the season, I wouldn't mind Kenyon Martin on this team, as washed as he is. We cannot trust Collins/oft-injured Wilcox. I can see Fab Melo in the Ryan Hollins role and doing well, though.

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I will ask you the same question. Are they going 28-9 the rest of the way to get to 50 wins?

Don't care, and don't know what this question tries to explore.

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
How far can a team go with PP and KG, plus two recent 6POY winners, two possible all-NBA defense guards, plus whatever Jeff Green is?

IMO, the team, collectively, will more than make up for Rondo's loss.  I have to agree with the Fanpost that makes the case that by moving the ball through more of these talented players' hands, a more effective offense will result.

I think we're becoming the most dangerous team in the league.

I predict a winning record the rest of the way by a solid (but not outstanding) margin.

Doc does his best work when he has the least work to do, substitution wise.  I'd put a small side bet on 22-15 the rest of the way.

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

You said you agreed that this roster is a 50-win team. Right now they are 22-23 with 37 games left, so would have to go 28-9 the rest of the way to get to 50 wins.

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

You said you agreed that this roster is a 50-win team. Right now they are 22-23 with 37 games left, so would have to go 28-9 the rest of the way to get to 50 wins.

I didn't put thought into the winning speculation, I was agreeing with the well-balanced aspect he mentioned.

A 50-win projection is only applicable if you're starting the season today... not take the current record, and then speculate the type of run we have to go on now to get there.