Author Topic: Toronto going after Pau Gasol ?  (Read 1617 times)

Toronto going after Pau Gasol ?
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, in the wake of the Gay trade, is now openly acknowledging that he's shopping former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani. The Lakers' interest in Bargnani remains a matter of debate in the midst of the Italian's worst-ever season by far, but the not-for-public-consumption message that continues to emanate from Canada is that Toronto remains intent on pursuing Gasol even after trading for Gay.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline

Bargani,pick + filler for Gasol ?

Re: Toronto going after Pau Gasol ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Bargs is def a D'Antoni type of guy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
not sure if Bargnani can help the Lakers at this point, but it seems like the Raptors want to be relevant...

Lowry, Gay, Derozan, Pau are four good players moving forward. Pau can provide veteran leadership

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bargs is def a D'Antoni type of guy

He probably is.  Mr Pringles is the coach, not the GM, though.  I just can't see the Lakers front office being able to sell Bargs to the fan base.

Personally, I don't see LA trading Gasol.  They'll never get a good enough return, and need to keep him in case Howard bolts this off-season.  How terrible (for them) would it be losing Bynum, Howard and Gasol all in a period of a year and only have Bargs to show for it.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
not sure if Bargnani can help the Lakers at this point, but it seems like the Raptors want to be relevant...

Lowry, Gay, Derozan, Pau are four good players moving forward. Pau can provide veteran leadership

Bargs would fit into D'Antonis system as a Power Forward perfectly. He would probably play better alongside Howard than Gasol does as well. I could easily see the Lakers doing this trade. Saves them some cash. Gasol and Gay make the Raptors semi legit again even if they clog up a ton of cap space for them. If the Raptors could get Gasol for Bargs a big filler and a draft pick, I think thats a steal. And like you say with Lowry, Derozen, Gay, Gasol...They actually look pretty decent on paper.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
BOS - Bargs, Metta
TOR - Gasol
LAL - Fields, Green, Bass, Collins, 1st TOR (future)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
bargs is horrid, cant rebound, and doesnt play one lick of defense.

why would we want him? the obsession on these boards with unskilled 7-footers is ridiculous.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Iv been calling this for months now. Pretty much since people realised Dantoni is a horrible coach that doesnt change his system for the players he has.

Bargs stretches the floor pretty much as good as any big man in the league (Only other one being Ryan Anderson). LA are already atrocious on defence so it wouldnt matter there.

IMO Raptors send Bargs + Fields for Gasol

Toronto starting line up Lowry Derozen Gay Amir Johnson and Gasol

Not actually a bad starting 5 if you ask me

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Crazy rumor, not happening
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Iv been calling this for months now. Pretty much since people realised Dantoni is a horrible coach that doesnt change his system for the players he has.

Bargs stretches the floor pretty much as good as any big man in the league (Only other one being Ryan Anderson). LA are already atrocious on defence so it wouldnt matter there.

IMO Raptors send Bargs + Fields for Gasol

Toronto starting line up Lowry Derozen Gay Amir Johnson and Gasol

Not actually a bad starting 5 if you ask me

By your reasoning any team that already suffers in one facet of the game should never trade to get better. 'LA are already atrocious on defence so it wouldnt matter there.' I had to laugh at that line.

The only reason I think D'Antoni might want this trade is because he does not care about defense, but I dont think it is right to say that because a team is not good at something they should continue that trend and get players that are not good at that same thing.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My thoughts on this rumor and a trade that could make it happen. Would love your input
http://pickandpopdiaries.blogspot.com/2013/02/february-trade-rumors-pau-gasol-to.html
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19