Author Topic: I realize people refuse to see long term but....  (Read 2127 times)

I realize people refuse to see long term but....
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
There isn't any real need to blow up the team.  This season the only way I'd have made a significant trade was if we were getting a superstar player like Howard out of it.  Any other trade would have been small tweaks and adjustments to a (what we thought) contending team.

With this season officially over with Rondo and Sully done, what will blowing it up do?  We're not going to get value out of KG and Pierce.  If we go younger we will get inferior players.  Swapping laterally is pointless especially given those are both having their jerseys in the rafters.

Next year we can compete.  A core of Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger and even Bass is a pretty talented group of young players.  You can win a championship with those guys along with old man KG and old man Pierce and a quality center.

Again if we can get a superstar player, all of that goes out the window, but that isn't happening.  Keep the "small five" of Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger and let them grow together.  They're all quality players you can build a team with.  You don't need to trade everyone for mediocre temporary bandaids.

Re: I realize people refuse to see long term but....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
There isn't any real need to blow up the team.  This season the only way I'd have made a significant trade was if we were getting a superstar player like Howard out of it.  Any other trade would have been small tweaks and adjustments to a (what we thought) contending team.

With this season officially over with Rondo and Sully done, what will blowing it up do?  We're not going to get value out of KG and Pierce.  If we go younger we will get inferior players.  Swapping laterally is pointless especially given those are both having their jerseys in the rafters.

Next year we can compete.  A core of Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger and even Bass is a pretty talented group of young players.  You can win a championship with those guys along with old man KG and old man Pierce and a quality center.

Again if we can get a superstar player, all of that goes out the window, but that isn't happening.  Keep the "small five" of Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger and let them grow together.  They're all quality players you can build a team with.  You don't need to trade everyone for mediocre temporary bandaids.

There is no way to know when either Rondo and Sullinger will play again.   Next season for both is a question mark.  And that team is not a championship contender with a year older version of Pierce and KG.   I don't know if they can make deals that help but this team is no longer championship caliber.  The window is closed.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How are we going to compete next year with KG and PP a year older? We haven't won a championship in 5 years and we were 20-23 with a healthy team this year. Last years run was fools gold, as Horford missed most of the 7 game atl series, Rose was out for the year, and Bosh missed most of the Miami series .

If you can trade KG and PP for expiring contracts , and rookie contracts with upside or picks , IMO you do it . Would rather get picks in the 2014 draft though.

If not just keep them together and let KG retire and waive PP .

Whatever you do, try to trade Bass and Terry for expiring contracts.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Last years run was fools gold, as Horford missed most of the 7 game atl series, Rose was out for the year, and Bosh missed most of the Miami series .

I HATE when people make this argument.

Because the Celtics were beat up too. We were missing Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, and Wilcox, and Pierce, Ray, and Rondo were all battling injuries.

Yes, we were helped a bit by injuries on other teams, but we also had bad injuries throughout the play-offs.

Claiming that simply Horford and Bosh being injured were the only reason we advanced is just willfully ignoring the truth.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Last years run was fools gold, as Horford missed most of the 7 game atl series, Rose was out for the year, and Bosh missed most of the Miami series .

Because the Celtics were beat up too. We were missing Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, and Wilcox, and Pierce, Ray, and Rondo were all battling injuries.

Yes, we were helped a bit by injuries on other teams, but we also had bad injuries throughout the play-offs.

Claiming that simply Horford and Bosh being injured were the only reason we advanced is just willfully ignoring the truth.

mmm no its a valid argument,  the other teams were missing top players and we were missing role players...I think we beat atlanta probably in 7 (Avery played the Hawks series, Green wasnt even a part of last years team for 1 game and wilcox please) and lose in 6 to the bulls had horford/rose been healthy......things broke well for us

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39

mmm no its a valid argument,  the other teams were missing top players and we were missing role players...I think we beat atlanta probably in 7 (Avery played the Hawks series, Green wasnt even a part of last years team for 1 game and wilcox please) and lose in 6 to the bulls had horford/rose been healthy......things broke well for us

No that is just stupid personal opinion based on nothing at all.

Ray wasn't able to shoot free throws the injury was so bad.
Pierce was barely able to get an inch or two off the ground in his shots.
Bradley played with two separated shoulders before being forced to stop altogether.

That's three very important starters that were pretty much worthless in the playoffs.

I would have taken those three healthy over a healthy Bosh or healthy Horford any day of the week without a seconds thought.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I didn't realize Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were role players.  ::)

Look, I'm not saying that we didn't get a few lucky breaks last year, but that happens EVERY year in the playoffs, and it's not like we were a healthy team running on all cylinders.

Seriously, I dare you to look back and find a year in the last decade where small lucky breaks helped a team one way or the other. Saying it is "fool's gold" when we advance to the ECF is just willfully ignoring what happens in order to make a point.

Honestly, I think the only people that say that are the ones who didn't think we would go so far last year and are bitter that they were wrong.

We made it to the ECF fair and square, like it or not.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If we go younger we will get inferior players.  Swapping laterally is pointless especially given those are both having their jerseys in the rafters.

There's never any reason to make a bad deal, but come on!  The argument isn't whether, for example, Splitter from SA is better than KG now or Indy's Granger is better than Pierce this season.  It's who is going to be better not just next year but 3 and 5 years from now.

And it's about getting maximum value from the assets you have.  If KG and Pierce retire as Celtics, which my heart really wants to see, the only thing Boston gets out of it is cap space and if you don't understand by now that Boston is not and never will be attractive to top tier free agents, you never will.

The most Ainge can ever get for Pierce or KG is right now.  There may not be a good deal, but there will never be any better ones.

If this team had played up to its potential and Boston was, like, 2nd to 4th best in the East, you could make an argument to keep it together just because you never know what could happen.  But this is a below .500 team that's desperately hanging onto 8th in the East and will probably lose that if Bynum ever plays for Philly.  I'd rather be that with younger players and/or expiring contracts.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm a big PP fan but if we can trade him to improve our team in the future you do it now.

You trade anyone on the roster right now to start building the next championship team. IMO this was our last run with KG and PP, and it just came to a stop, I'm already looking forward to the future.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
This Team is in a coma and doesn't know it yet. KG and Pierce will not be motivated.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
HOW WE COME OUT TONIGHT WILL SAY ALOT ABOUT THIS TEAM......

If we mail it in then we are done and should blow it up.  This is where Celtic Pride either rises or we don't have it.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
HOW WE COME OUT TONIGHT WILL SAY ALOT ABOUT THIS TEAM......

If we mail it in then we are done and should blow it up.  This is where Celtic Pride either rises or we don't have it.

Tonight will be a battle of non-titans. No Big Baby for Orlando, no Rondo and Sully for the Celts.