Author Topic: Open roster spots: sign KMart?  (Read 9481 times)

Re: We now have 4 open roster spots , sign KMart?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
I'm guessing they pull someone out of the D League and wait to see if anyone gets waived.  But the chances of finding someone who could make a contribution to me are remote at best. 

Whoever they brought in...would they be an upgrade on Collins - a guy who at least hustles, knows the plays and has been there all year?  We're talking insurance for someone else going down.

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We don't have 4 roster spots. We have two. This is not the NFL.
yup, my mistake. It has been pointed out multiple times in this thread. ;)
Sorry, too lazy to read. In any case, we have enough spots to sign whoever's out there -- the issues may be the cap situation and the fact that, well, there isn't much out there, really.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I would rather sign a young player. Haddadi works for me.
Me too. 7-2 is great for me.

Is Toronto likely to waive him?

I'd read that Haddadi has visa issues that prevent him from entering Canada. However, Colangelo views him as a trade chip, and would probably waive him only as a last resort.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:17 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm guessing they pull someone out of the D League and wait to see if anyone gets waived.  But the chances of finding someone who could make a contribution to me are remote at best. 

Whoever they brought in...would they be an upgrade on Collins - a guy who at least hustles, knows the plays and has been there all year?  We're talking insurance for someone else going down.

Danny said we will have 13 players (obviously RR and Sully are 14/15) on the roster when it's said and done and that we have "trade possibilities" and we'll see through the free agent deadline.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:39 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
This would be the cheap man's route to get into the playoffs, which I could see us doing.

Anyone here recall the playoffs back in '02, when K-Mart was beating his chest in front of a front row seated Red Auerbach?

I know we probably can't get Big Al but whatever happened to his cousin and look-alike Tiny Gallon?

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Just because their injured doesnt mean their roster spot magically disappears.

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Just because their injured doesnt mean their roster spot magically disappears.

Yes, everyone should know by now since it's been mentioned numerous times throughout this thread.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'd read that Haddadi has visa issues that prevent him from entering Canada. However, Colangelo views him as a trade chip, and would probably waive him only as a last resort.
Haddadi will be 28 by the time the playoffs roll around. This doesn't qualify as young in my book.

That aside from the fact that he can't really play.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:12 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
4 spots open? I rather sign all bigs lol

I think even with Rondo out, we are still overloaded with guards...

I definitely want to get KMart at least

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
At this point I'd rather pick up some D-leaguers or some other unsigned young guys who have a 1/100 chance of becoming a rotation player long term.

K-Mart is just another Jason Collins type of player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
At this point I'd rather pick up some D-leaguers or some other unsigned young guys who have a 1/100 chance of becoming a rotation player long term.

Not sure what you mean by that comparison. I would take KMart over Collins any day regardless of how old he is. In any case, I really hope Danny brings in a vet, not a D-leaguer.

I was always in favor of signing KMart but now with Sully's surgery it seems like a no-brainer.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Haddadi will be 28 by the time the playoffs roll around. This doesn't qualify as young in my book.

That aside from the fact that he can't really play.

I want KMart but would def take on Haddadi as well.

The thing is there aren't any options that are better and they are both better than Collins I don't even think there is an arguement.

Haddadi may be 28 but thats still young especially when you consider that he basically had never been to the US, couldn't speak a word of english and had was taught to play in  the Iranian professional league.

At the very least he can rebound, block shots, and set good picks which is better than Collins.

I just think we needed bigs before Sully (who barely classifies as a big) went down. Now we need minimum 1 or 2 bigs and I don't know where we are going to get them.

I guess we'll see who gets bought out but I'm thinking Haddadi will be a better option than some other 35 year old Collins equivalent who has "veteran experience".

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Haddadi may be 28 but thats still young especially when you consider that he basically had never been to the US, couldn't speak a word of english and had was taught to play in  the Iranian professional league.
He spent 4.5 years in the league clearly demonstrating that he can't last more than 7 minutes a game. I don't really care why.

Also, we already have the token project guy in Fab Melo, who's pretty much the same player, and is considerably younger.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Not sure what you mean by that comparison. I would take KMart over Collins any day regardless of how old he is. In any case, I really hope Danny brings in a vet, not a D-leaguer.

I was always in favor of signing KMart but now with Sully's surgery it seems like a no-brainer.

What I mean by that comparison is that K-Mart is a "break glass in case of emergency" one season only role player.  He offers no value for the future, and isn't even particularly good right now.  He's only an emergency solution.

But winning doesn't even matter to me anymore.  I'd rather take on some D-league guys who have a tiny chance of becoming the next Greg Stiemsma (halfway decent role player) rather than a guy who has one foot in retirement already.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain