Author Topic: Sully out for the year  (Read 9396 times)

Re: Sully out for the year
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I assume it's surgery for the herniated discs. Anyone know much about recovery with this injury? How long it takes/will it get rid of his back issue for good once he's back/other players that had similar issues and came back?

At least Sully's game has always been a low-to-the-ground one, and doesn't involve serious athleticism, high vertical leap etc...It's a big blow, but I just hope he comes back strong next year.

Prognosis: random.

My wife has had three surgeries, and over the last few years I've talked to many fine back surgeons as well as people who've had surgery.

Bottom line is that the surgery itself (whatever it is, but most commonly a discectomy) might or might not work. You might as well flip a coin.

Then, some people get better and never have another minute of pain. Some people are back on the table a year later. Some people get back to 100% quickly, others take years to recover and are never the same.

There's no way to predict it.

Oofff. Not what I was hoping to read. Hoping for the best.

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Yikes, that sucks.  I hope he recovers well and comes back strong after surgery.

I don't think this is a "fork sticking" blow though.  If you thought Rondo was, I can understand that.  While Sullinger was a great rebounder for us, he was 9th on our team in minutes per game.  He's not a "crucial" player.  For me, I'm more concerned about his long term rehab.

I'm still optimistic about this year.  By no means are we favorites, but I think we've still got a puncher's chance.  I think that this injury is going to provide more consistent minutes for Bass, similar to what he got last season, and I think we're going to see his production rise back up to the level he played at last season.  It will also provide some more minutes for Jeff Green and we'll get to see what he can do with those.

Let's see how it turns out!

I think Rondo and Sully were our 1st and 5th best players, respectively.  It's a pretty big blow. 

Sully had quietly elevated us from the pits of rebounding ineptitude in addition to his modest offensive garbage man contributions. 

With Sully and Rondo out, we don't have a single above-average rebounder left on this team other than KG on a good day. 

Nasty little blow.
While his play, as a rookie, has pleasantly surprised everyone, I think Green, Bass, Lee, and Terry are more talented NBA players.  They just haven't played like it yet.  I'm hopeful they'll step up and start to play like it now that the pressure is on for them to.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yikes, that sucks.  I hope he recovers well and comes back strong after surgery.

I don't think this is a "fork sticking" blow though.  If you thought Rondo was, I can understand that.  While Sullinger was a great rebounder for us, he was 9th on our team in minutes per game.  He's not a "crucial" player.  For me, I'm more concerned about his long term rehab.

I'm still optimistic about this year.  By no means are we favorites, but I think we've still got a puncher's chance.  I think that this injury is going to provide more consistent minutes for Bass, similar to what he got last season, and I think we're going to see his production rise back up to the level he played at last season.  It will also provide some more minutes for Jeff Green and we'll get to see what he can do with those.

I think Rondo and Sully were our 1st and 5th best players, respectively.  It's a pretty big blow. 

Sully had quietly elevated us from the pits of rebounding ineptitude in addition to his modest offensive garbage man contributions. 

With Sully and Rondo out, we don't have a single above-average rebounder left on this team other than KG on a good day. 

Nasty little blow.
While his play, as a rookie, has pleasantly surprised everyone, I think Green, Bass, Lee, and Terry are more talented NBA players.  They just haven't played like it yet.  I'm hopeful they'll step up and start to play like it now that the pressure is on for them to.

I'll say this much, no way is Bass to be considered more talented than Sully in any context of the discussion.

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Two solid jabs to deter our path to our championship, nothing more.

Welp...you're not BudweiserCeltic for nothin.

All kidding aside...this is a huge blow and Im impressed by your optimism, keep it up brotha..

Ugh

This roster wasn't built to depend on a rookie for success. It was nice that he played good for us, but we'll be fine.

More worried about our depth than missing Sully specifically for our playoff run.

Two roster spots open, a big needs to fill at least one of them, careful if we don't use the remaining two, though I still contend we need a third SF to fill our roster appropriately.

We'll see.

With no Sully, Bass is a better fit with the rest of the roster... same as Sully was a better fit without Bass in it.

Sully directly addressed our biggest weakness...idc if the roster was built to depend on a rookie...most rosters aren't....but it played out that way.

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I know the what ifs are not relevant but geez did those back to back overtimes really kill the season. I know Rondos injury happened in the 4th but if we didnt ease back and let them get into it i doubt the injury happens. The heavy minutes of those games killed Sullys back. Oh well, the injuries could of happened anyways.

Gahh I'm going to get some whiskey. Here's to sully having a good back in the future and hopefully some minutes/experience for Fab.

P.S. I hate this season

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
From the Celtics: Jared Sullinger underwent successful lumbar disc surgery today at the New England Baptist Hospital.

Sullinger is expected to be ready for the start of the 2013-14 training camp.

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Nasty little blow.

I'll say this much, no way is Bass to be considered more talented than Sully in any context of the discussion.
I look at the numbers and production that Bass gave us down the stretch last season and think that in no way is Sullinger ready to give that kind of production in the playoffs for a sustained period of time.

While Bass hasn't played the same this season, he obviously hasn't become 20% less talented of a player in the last 7 months.  He still has what he gave us last season, he just has to find it.  And while I think Sullinger has the potential to surpass that level of play, I don't think he's there yet.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Anyone else wonder what would be happening if we were 38-7 instead of 22-23?

My understanding is that there are many non-surgical approaches to back pain, and that it can be "managed" - it's not like a broken leg where you just can not play under any circumstances.

But I have a feeling Danny might be throwing in the towel.

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
man this is a blow. The Celtics have no longer been contenders this year for a while. But at least it has been fun to watch the young guys continue to grow. Man, Sullinger was 1 of the most fun to watch.

Bradley, hold it together, buddy!

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Anyone else wonder what would be happening if we were 38-7 instead of 22-23?

My understanding is that there are many non-surgical approaches to back pain, and that it can be "managed" - it's not like a broken leg where you just can not play under any circumstances.

But I have a feeling Danny might be throwing in the towel.
Nope I had the same thought, I don't blame Danny or Sullinger. With Rondo lost for the season they should be conservative with an injury to a young player like Sullinger.

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Give it a chance.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
BOSTON - The Boston Celtics announced forward Jared Sullinger underwent successful lumbar disc surgery today at the New England Baptist Hospital. Surgery was performed by the medical staff at the New England Baptist Hospital which is under the direction of Celtics Team Physician, Dr. Brian McKeon. Sullinger is expected to be ready in time for training camp for the 2013-14 season.

Sullinger, a 6’9” forward, appeared in 45 games for the Celtics this season averaging 6.0 points and 5.9 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game. He posted a season-high of 16 rebounds against Phoenix on January 9 and recorded a season-high of 16 points twice (November 18 against Detroit, December 25 against Brooklyn).

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
all our trade chips are dropping like flies. 

And ladies and gentlemen... that's why Jared Sullinger drops to the late 1st round.

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
It's hard to imagine that losing a rookie could lead to the Celtics blowing it up, but Jared led us in +/-. This is a big loss.

And just as looking forward to watching the C's become a scrappy grind it out team with the AB/Lee backcourt, our frontcourt just lost a very valuable player. Ouch.

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Danny obviously knew this when he made the comments about having a talk with PP if a good trade comes along .