Author Topic: Sully out for the year  (Read 9393 times)

Re: Sully out for the year
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
 :'(

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
When he was drafted it was said that he might need surgery soon, even this year. We got a half season of play, he got some experience, before his back went. OK. It's bad but people do come back from back surgery... sometimes.

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Yikes, that sucks.  I hope he recovers well and comes back strong after surgery.

I don't think this is a "fork sticking" blow though.  If you thought Rondo was, I can understand that.  While Sullinger was a great rebounder for us, he was 9th on our team in minutes per game.  He's not a "crucial" player.  For me, I'm more concerned about his long term rehab.

I'm still optimistic about this year.  By no means are we favorites, but I think we've still got a puncher's chance.  I think that this injury is going to provide more consistent minutes for Bass, similar to what he got last season, and I think we're going to see his production rise back up to the level he played at last season.  It will also provide some more minutes for Jeff Green and we'll get to see what he can do with those.

Let's see how it turns out!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Horrible. Horrible news. Oh my God, i'm so sad right now. This guy was a joy to watch.

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Yikes, that sucks.  I hope he recovers well and comes back strong after surgery.

I don't think this is a "fork sticking" blow though.  If you thought Rondo was, I can understand that.  While Sullinger was a great rebounder for us, he was 9th on our team in minutes per game.  He's not a "crucial" player.  For me, I'm more concerned about his long term rehab.

I'm still optimistic about this year.  By no means are we favorites, but I think we've still got a puncher's chance.  I think that this injury is going to provide more consistent minutes for Bass, similar to what he got last season, and I think we're going to see his production rise back up to the level he played at last season.  It will also provide some more minutes for Jeff Green and we'll get to see what he can do with those.

I think Rondo and Sully were our 1st and 5th best players, respectively.  It's a pretty big blow. 

Sully had quietly elevated us from the pits of rebounding ineptitude in addition to his modest offensive garbage man contributions. 

With Sully and Rondo out, we don't have a single above-average rebounder left on this team other than KG on a good day. 

Nasty little blow.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

I feel like this hurtens that punchers chance for us. I mean you saw how he looked against NY even against the Heat he was solid. He's our only real rebounder (aside from KG and Do)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
This sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks.

Aside from drafting PP that might be Pitino's biggest contribution to Celtics nation.

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Expletive.

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks.

Aside from drafting PP that might be Pitino's biggest contribution to Celtics nation.

Perry Jones is not walking through that door.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
drinking.  heavily. 

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I assume it's surgery for the herniated discs. Anyone know much about recovery with this injury? How long it takes/will it get rid of his back issue for good once he's back/other players that had similar issues and came back?

At least Sully's game has always been a low-to-the-ground one, and doesn't involve serious athleticism, high vertical leap etc...It's a big blow, but I just hope he comes back strong next year.

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
time for danny to have the chat with pierce.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I assume it's surgery for the herniated discs. Anyone know much about recovery with this injury? How long it takes/will it get rid of his back issue for good once he's back/other players that had similar issues and came back?

At least Sully's game has always been a low-to-the-ground one, and doesn't involve serious athleticism, high vertical leap etc...It's a big blow, but I just hope he comes back strong next year.

Prognosis: random.

My wife has had three surgeries, and over the last few years I've talked to many fine back surgeons as well as people who've had surgery.

Bottom line is that the surgery itself (whatever it is, but most commonly a discectomy) might or might not work. You might as well flip a coin.

Then, some people get better and never have another minute of pain. Some people are back on the table a year later. Some people get back to 100% quickly, others take years to recover and are never the same.

There's no way to predict it.