Author Topic: Scott Brown not running in special election  (Read 518 times)

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 220
Scott Brown not running in special election
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »
Story

“Representing Massachusetts in the United States Senate was the greatest privilege of my life, an experience that takes second place only to my marriage to Gail and the birth of our daughters. It was a higher honor than I had ever expected, and in the time given to me I always tried to make the most of it.

“When I was first sent to the Senate in early 2010, it wasn’t exactly welcome news for President Obama or many other Democrats. Yet among my best memories from those three years in office are visits to the White House to see the President sign into law bills that I had sponsored. I left office last month on the best of terms with colleagues both Republican and Democrat. I had worked well with so many of them, regardless of party, to serve the public interest just as we are all supposed to. All of this was in keeping with the pledge I made at the beginning to do my own thinking and to speak for the independent spirit of our great state.

“Over these past few weeks I have given serious thought about the possibility of running again, as events have created another vacancy requiring another special election. I have received a lot of encouragement from friends and supporters to become a candidate, and my competitive instincts were leading in the same direction.

“Even so, I was not at all certain that a third Senate campaign in less than four years, and the prospect of returning to a Congress even more partisan than the one I left, was really the best way for me to continue in public service at this time. And I know it’s not the only way for me to advance the ideals and causes that matter most to me.

“That is why I am announcing today that I will not be a candidate for the United States Senate in the upcoming special election.”

Governor in 2014, perhaps? We like electing (R)'s around these parts, for one reason or another.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 634
Re: Scott Brown not running in special election
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
Smart move.  He needs some time to rebuild, and take another tact.  If he lost the special election, it would basically be the end of his political career.

I think he has a much better shot at Governor though, and that could be a great launching pad, if he wants to get into more national politics.

My guess is he will run for Governor in 2014, and then he might be in the running for president or vice president after that.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 612
  • What a Pub Should Be
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »
Can't blame the guy.

3 elections in 4 years would be physically & mentally taxing to the strongest of people. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Fafnir

• Global Moderator
  • Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 947
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »
Can't blame the guy.

3 elections in 4 years would be physically & mentally taxing to the strongest of people.
Yeah and as Chris mentioned, if he loses either one of the next two elections (the special or the general) it could end any future political ambitions he has.

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 333
  • Anything is possible
Scott Brown not seeking Kerry's Senate seat
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
Democrats' worries about losing the Senate seat formerly held by incoming Secretary of State John Kerry were eased Friday when former Sen. Scott Brown confirmed he will not run in a special election.

The decision likely means the Senate seat will stay in the hands of Democrats, who control 55 seats in the 100-seat upper chamber. Republican officials in Washington and Massachusetts widely considered Brown the strongest possible Republican candidate in a state that traditionally favors Democrats.

Brown won the 2010 special election for longtime Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat following his death, but lost a bruising re-election battle last November to Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren. The Republican remained popular among Massachusetts voters, still had a statewide political organization and demonstrated an ability to raise tens of millions in campaign donations.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/01/scott-brown-not-seeking-kerry-senate-seat/#ixzz2Jh120qnG

It will now be an easy win for Dems in MA. The more interesting question from this announcement to me is: What will Brown do next? Will he try for Governor in 2014? Or... is a 2016 presidential run where he is aiming? Or both?

Can’t really blame him for not wanting to campaign for like the 3rd time in four years for the same job.

Offline Cman

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 224
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
Wow, i just saw this. I thought he'd be a shoe-in, but I can understand the many reasons why he might NOT want to run again.
Celtics fan for life.

Online hpantazo

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 757
Re: Scott Brown not seeking Kerry's Senate seat
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Democrats' worries about losing the Senate seat formerly held by incoming Secretary of State John Kerry were eased Friday when former Sen. Scott Brown confirmed he will not run in a special election.

The decision likely means the Senate seat will stay in the hands of Democrats, who control 55 seats in the 100-seat upper chamber. Republican officials in Washington and Massachusetts widely considered Brown the strongest possible Republican candidate in a state that traditionally favors Democrats.

Brown won the 2010 special election for longtime Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat following his death, but lost a bruising re-election battle last November to Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren. The Republican remained popular among Massachusetts voters, still had a statewide political organization and demonstrated an ability to raise tens of millions in campaign donations.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/01/scott-brown-not-seeking-kerry-senate-seat/#ixzz2Jh120qnG

It will now be an easy win for Dems in MA. The more interesting question from this announcement to me is: What will Brown do next? Will he try for Governor in 2014? Or... is a 2016 presidential run where he is aiming? Or both?

Can’t really blame him for not wanting to campaign for like the 3rd time in four years for the same job.

I can see him as governor, but he has no realistic shot at the presidency.

Online KGs Knee

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 581
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
I think Brown's best move (politically), would be to move.  As in, to another state.

I don't think enough people in Mass truly appreciate his bi-partisan approach, as evidenced by his loss to Warren.
DKC Los Angeles Lakers
GM: Micheal Corleone
Head Coach: Mike Krzyzewski
Roster

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 889
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »
He should run as a democrat which is essentially what he did against Warren. 

I don't think he'd be a shoe-in for the senate seat anyway.  He beat an absolutly awful candidate in Coakley, and then lost as the incumbent against a flawed candidate 2 months ago.  Possibly could beat Markey who I don't see as a terribly attractive candidate or Lynch who I see as a poor candidate.  But an articulate, moderate democrat would have a great chance to beat him.  2 losses in tough statewide fights within 6 months (or so) would probably be hard for him to handle politically.   

Mass has a long history of being very comfortable with republicans in the governor's office. Patrick says this is his last term. So, if Brown wants to be a career politician, I guess that's his likely next step. 

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1098
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
i cant blame him.

Online LooseCannon

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 604
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
I think Brown's best move (politically), would be to move.  As in, to another state.

I don't think enough people in Mass truly appreciate his bi-partisan approach, as evidenced by his loss to Warren.

If he moved to state which went for Romney in 2012, I doubt that what you refer to as his "bi-partisan approach" would be appreciated there, either.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline slamdunk

• Avery Bradley
  • Tommy Points: 18
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
Can't blame the guy.

Plus if he won, he'd have another election in 2014.

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog