Author Topic: Interesting read out of weei.com  (Read 1742 times)

Interesting read out of weei.com
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/dan-guttenplan/2013/02/01/doc-rivers-no-longer-right-fit-celtics

This guy is a columnist for a small town newspaper on the North Shore. He appears to be thoughtful in what he writes. My feeling is that if you are a good NBA player, then Doc Rivers is a good coach for to play for. If you are geniunely a poor NBA player (notably Marc Blount who took full advantage of a bad situation to secure a full midlevel contract he clearly did not deserve), you will struggle. Where Doc Rivers greatest strength is, his NBA network has kept the Celtics competitive since KG arrived in Boston. This is the best run of success the Celtics have had since Larry Bird retired. I say stay on and not fall back to perenial lottery teams hoping that a Lebron, a Kevin D, a Tim Duncan falls into your lap. It will be difficult to get back to the championship this decade unless KD and/or Lebron wants to come here for their next contract. I sincerely doubt that happens. We think Danny will keep stockpiling assets and look for the next trading oipportunity to trade for a major piece or two.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Re: Interesting read out of weei.com
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
One of the best ways to stock pile assets is tanking and getting into the lottery/drafting smart.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Players like Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Glen Davis fell short of their potential in Boston and ended up experiencing varying levels of success in other stops.

Complete and utter drivel.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Players like Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Glen Davis fell short of their potential in Boston and ended up experiencing varying levels of success in other stops.

I don't know what you talking about, Sebastion Telfair is contributing mightily to the Phoenix Suns cause!!!
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Yeah, Jefferson showed improvement each year here, enough that he landed KG, then simply continued on that expected trajectory after the trade. Green was included in a trade too, and took, what, 4 years and a stint in china to become a somewhat helpful rotation-ish player that he is now. Telfair hasn't changed, he's a 3rd stringer. Glen Davis had a full shot here; he maxes out at either an average backup or near average starter. He's putting up average numbers this year because he's gifted minutes and chances, but he hasn't changed.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/dan-guttenplan/2013/02/01/doc-rivers-no-longer-right-fit-celtics

This guy is a columnist for a small town newspaper on the North Shore. He appears to be thoughtful in what he writes. My feeling is that if you are a good NBA player, then Doc Rivers is a good coach for to play for. If you are geniunely a poor NBA player (notably Marc Blount who took full advantage of a bad situation to secure a full midlevel contract he clearly did not deserve), you will struggle. Where Doc Rivers greatest strength is, his NBA network has kept the Celtics competitive since KG arrived in Boston. This is the best run of success the Celtics have had since Larry Bird retired. I say stay on and not fall back to perenial lottery teams hoping that a Lebron, a Kevin D, a Tim Duncan falls into your lap. It will be difficult to get back to the championship this decade unless KD and/or Lebron wants to come here for their next contract. I sincerely doubt that happens. We think Danny will keep stockpiling assets and look for the next trading oipportunity to trade for a major piece or two.

I have not read the article yet,  but your summary is in line with the perception I have had fora while.  Doc is overrated as far as being a strategist. I think he is an excellent motivator and manager of egos.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He also called Leon Powe a defensive stopper.  I love Leon, but he's not going to be mistaken for a shutdown defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One of the best ways to stock pile assets is tanking and getting into the lottery/drafting smart.

Tanking is a horrible way to stockpile assets because it usually requires putting together a roster of talentless players.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Tanking is a horrible way to stockpile assets because it usually requires putting together a roster of talentless players.
You can stockpile future assets as in draft picks, but yeah otherwise you have to gut your roster.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

You can stockpile future assets as in draft picks, but yeah otherwise you have to gut your roster.

Trade Pierce and KG and we will be a lottery team. I don't see whats wrong with getting some kind of value for them maybe pick wise and then getting a top pick.

Even the KG era started after a season where we had the 5th pick

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Beat me to it, and more concise than I would have been to boot.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Trade Pierce and KG and we will be a lottery team. I don't see whats wrong with getting some kind of value for them maybe pick wise and then getting a top pick.

Even the KG era started after a season where we had the 5th pick

yea exactly!

Let's face it guys, Boston isn't exactly a free agent destinations, which means you have to put together a contender through draft picks and trades.

If we didn't have the #5 pick in 2007 , no Ray,No Kg, No #17.

So if we just keep adding mediocre talent like Green, Bass and Terry's of the world, the c's will be in NBA hell. Not good enough to contend , and not bad enough to be in the lottery to pick an impact player or use the pick as a trade chip.