Author Topic: Jalen Rose:C's should blow it up, KG to Spurs, PP to pacers  (Read 9251 times)

Re: Jalen Rose:C's should blow it up, KG to Spurs, PP to pacers
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would be delighted if Danny Ainge could get a player as good as Danny Granger for a 35 year old Paul Pierce.

I don't understand the upside for Indiana though.
Pierce is better than Granger right now and can be waived this summer if it doesn't work out (or he might retire).  Pierce, in addition to being better, would also provide that very young team some toughness and leadership and would be a better mentor to Paul George than Granger is.

Indiana is no more a title threat with Pierce than they are with Granger.

Trading for a short term boost when you aren't capable of capitalizing on it + hurting yourself in both the medium and long term is pointless.

Indiana are not in a position to make this type of a swap worthwhile for them.
I think Indiana is one of the few teams that could actually challenge the Heat in the East.  The addition of Pierce gives them a go to scorer that they really need and that often makes the difference in the playoffs.  I also don't think Granger is in their long term plans, so I think any upgrade they can get is worthwhile for them.  Pierce is also playing right now and not coming off of an injury, so there is a lot more certainty with him.

Frankly, I wouldn't do the trade if I'm Boston, as I just don't see the point in it.  Doesn't make the team any better and doesn't provide enough assets to serve as a rebuilding trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Unless we get a player better than Garnett or Pierce at this stage of their careers that can seriously help us win a championship next year when Rondo gets back, its time to blow it all up. We play this game for titles & that's why I watch! I enjoyed watching the terrible 06' team with no hint at winning for 4-5yrs. at best in their future, but atleast it was a future to look ahead to. We are kidding ourselves thinking we can still win BIG without a major 2-3rd banana we are missing right now. So I say lets transition & enjoy some bad/learning basketball from our youngsters while accumulating assets while struggling/losing that positions us for that next future superstar through the draft or Free Agency a couple years from now (not Josh Smith). Bradley,Sullinger & Melo needs to be playing huge minutes going forward & the roster needs to be dramatically shaken up with a Gortat,Cousins,Love,Smith instantly with KG & Pierce still here. Or Bait our stars out to winning teams trying to gain assets thats useful in 2014-15 that gives us ALOT of cap room to maneuver enough to get us 2 max guys thats ready to usher in the next wave of great Celtics teams.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:34:49 PM by KG_ended_Bias »

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I would be delighted if Danny Ainge could get a player as good as Danny Granger for a 35 year old Paul Pierce.

Pierce is better than Granger right now and can be waived this summer if it doesn't work out (or he might retire).  Pierce, in addition to being better, would also provide that very young team some toughness and leadership and would be a better mentor to Paul George than Granger is.

Trading for a short term boost when you aren't capable of capitalizing on it + hurting yourself in both the medium and long term is pointless.

I think Indiana is one of the few teams that could actually challenge the Heat in the East. The addition of Pierce gives them a go to scorer that they really need and that often makes the difference in the playoffs.  I also don't think Granger is in their long term plans, so I think any upgrade they can get is worthwhile for them.  Pierce is also playing right now and not coming off of an injury, so there is a lot more certainty with him.

Frankly, I wouldn't do the trade if I'm Boston, as I just don't see the point in it.  Doesn't make the team any better and doesn't provide enough assets to serve as a rebuilding trade.
Well, that's fair enough. If you think Indy can do that, then the trade makes sense.

I am the opposite. I actually think Indiana is one of the least likely playoff teams in the East to threaten Miami in a playoff series.

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 02:39:25 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah I don't really understand the hesitation a lot of people are having about Pierce. The only worry I would have is if he would play for another team or not. Seems like you would just ask him right? "Hey Paul, if we trade for you would you be our scoring 6th man?" Easy enough.

The thing is a lot of the posts on this board talk about him being a bad asset from a skill perspective and I just don't see it. Even when slumping he put up better #s than Rudy Gay. He rebounds like a champ, can pass the ball extremely well and has no range he can't hit from. While I agree he's slow, he's not really a defensive liability. On top of all of that he's on a near-expiring contract. Seems like a good asset to me, specifically to a contender.

The only reason the Cs should trade Pierce is if we're not competing this year. The reason Indiana would take him for Granger is because Pierce is better than Granger and has been at every turn. Indiana is in the hunt this year. Pierce would really make a difference come playoff time. He's also a huge cap-relief next year which will help Indiana resign David West if they want to. They owe Granger 13M, that would free up 9M after they waive Pierce to resign players and stay under the tax line. With small market teams that makes a difference, see Memphis.

Personally I'm not sure we'd be getting enough for Pierce in the deal. I'd move him somewhere we could get a young player and a 1st rounder. Exactly what Ainge was asking for Ray last year. It's possible we don't get it but the worst case scenario is htat we're stuck with a top 10 SF on a near-expiring contract. Boo-hoo.

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Pierce and Collins for Granger and Tyler Hansbrough.

That one is launghable.  Why on earth would the Pacers do that?

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
With Rondo and Sully out for the year , it makes zero sense to keep this overpaid group of mediocre talent together.

Fire sale time, fall into the lottery for 2 years , then in 2014 there will be some very good free agents

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Welp now I may feel differently about this...

With Rondo and Sully out for the year , it makes zero sense to keep this overpaid group of mediocre talent together.

Fire sale time, fall into the lottery for 2 years , then in 2014 there will be some very good free agents

Only fools "fire sale" their teams though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I think Indiana is one of the few teams that could actually challenge the Heat in the East. The addition of Pierce gives them a go to scorer that they really need and that often makes the difference in the playoffs.  I also don't think Granger is in their long term plans, so I think any upgrade they can get is worthwhile for them.  Pierce is also playing right now and not coming off of an injury, so there is a lot more certainty with him.

Well, that's fair enough. If you think Indy can do that, then the trade makes sense.

I am the opposite. I actually think Indiana is one of the least likely playoff teams in the East to threaten Miami in a playoff series.

Yeah if Indy couldn't do it last year while Bosh was out, I don't see how they beat them this year.  The improvement of Paul George (along with the uncertain return of Granger) in no way compares to how much improved Miami is with Bosh back and now Ray Allen.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The SA trade would intrigue me.  I agree with one poster's comparison of the Marc Gasol like potential in Splitter.  No guarantee he reaches it, but I do like the potential there.

Also, if KG is going somewhere, I would absolutely love to watch him play basketball on that Spurs team alongside Duncan.  That would be a real treat for us fans who like textbook basketball and defense.  Also, I think they'd win the championship which I want to see for KG if the celtics can't win it themselves.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »

Offline diddybop

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
So trade them for cap space and a role player (Splitter)? Sorry, but I'd want something a little more for PP and KG.

KG also has to waive the no-trade. I don't really see him doing that unless its LAC so he can be close to home in Malibu. If the Clippers were silly enough to give up Bledsoe, then I'd think about it.

There is definitely more out there for PP than 'Danny Granger's expiring contract.' Especially when Pierce is only guaranteed 4mil next season.

PASS.

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
So trade them for cap space and a role player (Splitter)? Sorry, but I'd want something a little more for PP and KG.

KG also has to waive the no-trade. I don't really see him doing that unless its LAC so he can be close to home in Malibu. If the Clippers were silly enough to give up Bledsoe, then I'd think about it.

There is definitely more out there for PP than 'Danny Granger's expiring contract.' Especially when Pierce is only guaranteed 4mil next season.

PASS.

Honest question: Why would LAC be silly to give up Bledsoe for KG.   

If they think Bledsoe plus Odom's expiring for KG brings them a championship, why wouldn't they?

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

PASS.

I want a date with Kate Upton.  What you want doesn't matter.  And what, exactly, do you think Ainge can get for Pierce?  He's not going to get a dramatically better and younger player.  He's not going to get a 1st round pick.  And he sure as heck doesn't want to take back a bad contract.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Like to come out of the KG trade with a little more, but I do like Splitter, I have to think on that more.

PP for Granger no thanks, we need to trade him for a Millsap or Smith, we have to find a way to come out of this with a player, cap space is useless to us.

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
PP for Granger no thanks, we need to trade him for a Millsap or Smith, we have to find a way to come out of this with a player, cap space is useless to us.

I'll take Milsap over Granger, but Granger over Smith.  I'd rather kick Granger's tires with the option of shipping out his expiring deal than chain Boston to a long-term, max-or-near-max deal with one of the premiere on-court knuckleheads in the NBA.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hmm KG to Spurs I do not know if Timmy would like it.