Poll

If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce, Do You Still Root For The Celtics?

Yes, Why?
29 (90.6%)
No, Why?
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 18, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Author Topic: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,  (Read 10561 times)

Re: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If you stop being a Celtics fan because Pierce is traded, were you ever actually a Celtics fan? Or can you call yourself a Celtics fan currently for that matter?

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am a fan of the team, not one person.  if they trade PP I will be sad a little as I like the Captain but I love the C's.   This works for me but it might not work for you.

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This thread made me think.

I became a Bruin's fan (or so I thought) in the early 70's.  I loved Phil Esposito especially.  When he was traded I almost immediately lost interest.  To this day, I am not a hockey or Bruins fan.

While I had favorite C's players, I was always a Celtics fan first. Not sure why this was different, but it was, and always has been. It's always been about the C's as a team, first and foremost.  This is why I am OK with any trade that makes the team better.

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
As a youngster, I became a fan in the early 2000's in large part because of Pierce. I will continue to be a fan after he's gone.

I got the same exact story as you

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I've been a Celtics fan since first becoming hooked on basketball back in 1981 when I was eleven.  My favorite player back then was Tiny Archibald. 

I didn't like Paul Pierce when we first drafted him.  My feelings were influenced by the fact that he was the big star for Kansas, and my beloved Rhody Rams had just pulled the big upset over them en route to the sweet sixteen.  I wanted to see my hero, Cat Mobley, show that he could compete with Kansas' star player.  He did, and the Rams won. 

2002 was definitely the year that Pierce started to win me over.  That trip to the Eastern Conference finals was a magical run for me.  My oldest daughter was born in May of that year during the Nets series.  I fondly remembering cradling my newborn and watching the Celtics complete a twenty-one point fourth quarter comeback against the Nets in those playoffs. 

I became a huge Pierce fan back then, and for me, although I grew up during the Bird Era, I feel like he is my generation's primary Celtic legend.  He's battled through good times and bad and has come through it all as one of the greatest to ever put on the green uniform. 

I really want to see him retire in Celtic green.  I feel like the organization owes him and the fans that opportunity.  The rebuild is going to come.  That's inevitable.  I don't see any reason to rush it.

looks like we are the same age.  ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I would follow Pierce more than the Celtics, but the Celtics have always been and will be #1
now let's all pray that NEVER happens
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd still root for the C's if they traded Pierce, BUT:

Paul Pierce NEEDS to retire in Green.

Bill Russell did it.

Larry Bird did it.

Now? It's Paul's turn.

The Celtics are NOT like most NBA franchises...there IS tradition, here.

Paul Pierce has earned that right to retire in Celtics Green....he endured the Lean Years....he endured the stabbing - only to come back the next season and play 82 games....he's been one of the most durable, dependable and talented Celtics EVER....on and on and on...

It's for those reasons and many more that I can't think of off the top of my head why I'm a C's fan despite Paul Pierce.

But Danny would be ripping the heart out of the Franchise if Paul was to go to another team via a trade - IMO.

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Hmmn...kg was one of the most popular players in nba history, spent over a decade building a fan base on one of the worst franchises...there was as many kg fans as wolves fans...he had a large following from casual fans and a die-hard kg cult like following...when he was traded those people became Celtics fans. No one has become a Celtics fan because of pierce...more than likely they were already a Celtics fan and became a pierce fan as well growing up with him on their team....I find it a bit strange you became a Celtics fan because of pierce...but wouldn't find it weird in the event he was traded you decided to root for that team too....but it's enlightening to know you're so in love with pierce and saw his immature underachieving career pre kg and are as critical of rondo as you are....

So we're describing KG too? The guy who used to fight his own teammates in practice in Minny? I swear Kevin Garnett is so overrated now. He's an awesome player and such, but he was just as underachieving a player as Pierce was before they played together. He has several faults himself.

Pierce is an incredibly undervalued player in this city, and it still bothers me that anyone would blame him for the Celtics' lack of success early in his career. There is not one player in this league who could have succeeded on this team with the way it was being run before Ainge. It took Ainge three years of dismantling and stocking young talent to become a viable trading partner. The team was full of junk and albatross salary. Pierce played half his career without a good point guard and a player who could grab 10 boards a game (hell, even 8 ). Most of his prime years were spent with Antoine, Ricky Davis, or Wally as second options. Some guys talk about Garnett's "terrible" situation in Minny..let's talk about Pierce's situation. Management, the players, and the coaching was far worse here than it was in Minny before Ainge and Doc.

And yes, I did become a Celtic fan because of Pierce and the 2002 ECF run. I was 12 years old, and Pierce was freakin' awesome. He made me into a diehard Celtic fan, and I will be a fan when he retires. If he is traded, I will be pretty angry, but I will still be a fan of the C's.

It really grinds my gears when people treat Garnett like some kind of savior or saint and treat Pierce like some former malcontent, replaceable player. Most balanced fans understand that we needed both to win, and both of them (along with Ray) needed each other but surfing between here and realGM the last few weeks has been headache inducing. I've seen fans talking about getting rid of Pierce because he is old and trash now, but when the same fans are asked about KG, they say "no! he's the heart and soul! we can't get rid of him, he should retire here!". I mean how much disrespect can you have for the OG Celtic of this era? Maybe it's 'cause we saw Pierce in the bad years and some automatically associate all of that with him (however unfair that is). Pierce's greatest and most immature (only immature moment for me) was when he came out of the locker room with bandages around his face after the 2005 playoffs. But that's it. I guess if Pierce went to Minny, he would be the "savior" of their franchise. Who knows.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:09:15 PM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
cant stand people who only follow players and not teams. Fair enough if you followed bird or magic. but seriously have faith in a team

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:49 AM »

fitzhickey

I'd probably have a break from nba for a while, a couple months, but I'd still follow celtics. I started because of pierce, but I got latched on to the celtics and the way of playing and going about things. I wouldn't be as irritated if he went to a team where he could win immediately, give him one more chance at a ring

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
but why is there a fan who says he is celtics, while saying trade everyone on team?
what does it called?

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
but why is there a fan who says he is celtics, while saying trade everyone on team?
what does it called?

They're still a Celtics fan.  They just think the window is absolutely shut on this current group and wants to see the team rebuild from scratch.

I don't agree with the view but understand where these people come from and you can still call them fans.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I'd probably have a break from nba for a while, a couple months, but I'd still follow celtics. I started because of pierce, but I got latched on to the celtics and the way of playing and going about things. I wouldn't be as irritated if he went to a team where he could win immediately, give him one more chance at a ring
He is winning immediately (i.e., presently), and is with a team where he has a chance to win one more ring!  That's my story, and I am sticking to it!!!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
cant stand people who only follow players and not teams. Fair enough if you followed bird or magic. but seriously have faith in a team

Agreed, if everybody on this current celtics team was traded tomorrow id still be a celtics fan. That's what being a real fan is. You don't just root for the team until your favorite players aren't there anymore.

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
He is winning immediately (i.e., presently), and is with a team where he has a chance to win one more ring!  That's my story, and I am sticking to it!!!

Your story is fictional but its good.