Poll

If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce, Do You Still Root For The Celtics?

Yes, Why?
29 (90.6%)
No, Why?
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 18, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Author Topic: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,  (Read 10568 times)

Re: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Growing up mostly in the 90s, I began to understand and appreciate basketball right around the time Paul Pierce was drafted. Although I lived in New York, my father had been a Celtic fan since the days of Russell and Cousy so I natural took an interest in this team. Paul had been my favorite Celtic as far as I could remember. To me, I never really knew the Celtics without him as I'm still in my early 20s. But I do love this team and everything they stand for. I admire the rich history of this team and will never forget how happy I was to see them win it all back in 2008. So basically, while it pains me to see the Pierce era close, I know we will see greatness in Boston again. Who knows when, but a franchise this great is bound to pick itself up at some point. And until that day comes, I will continue to root for whoever is sent out there for the guys in green.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I doubt there are a ton of fans who only became Celtics fans due to Pierce.  Maybe some folks from Kansas who liked him in college, but otherwise I don't think Pierce was ever the type of superstar who developed his own following independent of the Celtics.

Now, I do think there are a lot of folks who only became a Celtics fan because of KG.  He already had his own engrained fan base before he got here, and he probably got a few bandwagoners from the New England area to follow the team, as well.  I would expect many of those fans would stop following the Celtics if he retires or is traded.

How is it weird that someone became a Celtics fan because of Pierce, but not because of KG? Don't get that

Its still a player-attracted fandom

Hmmn...kg was one of the most popular players in nba history, spent over a decade building a fan base on one of the worst franchises...there was as many kg fans as wolves fans...he had a large following from casual fans and a die-hard kg cult like following...when he was traded those people became Celtics fans. No one has become a Celtics fan because of pierce...more than likely they were already a Celtics fan and became a pierce fan as well growing up with him on their team....I find it a bit strange you became a Celtics fan because of pierce...but wouldn't find it weird in the event he was traded you decided to root for that team too....but it's enlightening to know you're so in love with pierce and saw his immature underachieving career pre kg and are as critical of rondo as you are....

I'm a diehard Pierce fan, whats your point? Just because I criticize Rondo, who you have a man-crush on, doesn't mean you have to attack me
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:26:22 PM by OsirusCeltics »

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I doubt there are a ton of fans who only became Celtics fans due to Pierce.  Maybe some folks from Kansas who liked him in college, but otherwise I don't think Pierce was ever the type of superstar who developed his own following independent of the Celtics.

Now, I do think there are a lot of folks who only became a Celtics fan because of KG.  He already had his own engrained fan base before he got here, and he probably got a few bandwagoners from the New England area to follow the team, as well.  I would expect many of those fans would stop following the Celtics if he retires or is traded.

How is it weird that someone became a Celtics fan because of Pierce, but not because of KG? Don't get that

Hmmn...kg was one of the most popular players in nba history, spent over a decade building a fan base on one of the worst franchises...there was as many kg fans as wolves fans...he had a large following from casual fans and a die-hard kg cult like following...when he was traded those people became Celtics fans. No one has become a Celtics fan because of pierce...more than likely they were already a Celtics fan and became a pierce fan as well growing up with him on their team....I find it a bit strange you became a Celtics fan because of pierce...but wouldn't find it weird in the event he was traded you decided to root for that team too....but it's enlightening to know you're so in love with pierce and saw his immature underachieving career pre kg and are as critical of rondo as you are....

I'm a diehard Pierce fan, whats your point? Just because I criticize Rondo, who you have a man-crush on, doesn't mean you have to attack me

I'm not criticizing you...it just makes sense that you don't like to see the young rondo get credit for being better then your binky so you take away from him as much as possible...but what was pierce pre kg? Overweight, immature, not a leader, etc etc

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I became a fan of the Celtics because of Ray Allen.

AWKWARD.

Fortunately, the team grew on me in the meantime, so I did a straight-across fandom swap. Seems to be working out.

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »

fitzhickey

Although I became a celts fan because of pierce, i fell in love with the organisation and its defensive mind

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'm 23 and I became a fan in 2000. Pierce is my favorite player and I'd hate to see him go, but he's not above the franchise.

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

I'm not criticizing you...it just makes sense that you don't like to see the young rondo get credit for being better then your binky so you take away from him as much as possible...but what was pierce pre kg? Overweight, immature, not a leader, etc etc

See thats the difference between me and you
When people criticize Pierce, I almost always agree with them. Look at my older posts

People say Pierce is getting old. I say of course, he's 35 playing the perimeter position
I have said numerous times Pierce should be benched for Green
Pierce is very guilty of causing turnovers in the passing lane, and have critcized him alot for it
I have said numerous times Pierce is getting old and should not guard Lebron or any premier players and other players on the team should guard them

But when I criticize Rondo, you go into full on man-crush mode like Rondo can do no wrong. I say Rondo has no jumpshot, the team plays better without him, as many playoff accomplishments he has equal playoff blunders, Pierce and KG are more important for the Celtics than Rondo, etc.

That isn't hating. That is criticism and also my opinion. Don't worry, you're man-crush isn't going to be threatened because one poster criticizes rondo

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
would fans buy a ticket without pierce kg and rondo?

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I was always a Celtic fan long before Pierce, but I watched the Celtics more closely and religiously since Pierce was drafted.  I'll be mad as heck at the Celtics if he was traded and would probably become a fan of his new team, but I'd still root for my home team.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

Yes.

i've notice some fans says, if danny trade pierce i'm done with the celtics,
how will this affect the fans? facebook main celtics page, live celtics game, celtics jersey #34 etc etc; paul peirce fan page?

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
As a youngster, I became a fan in the early 2000's in large part because of Pierce. I will continue to be a fan after he's gone.

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I started watching basketball in 91-92, the season the Bulls met the Blazers in the Finals, but being so young that was all I really knew in terms of the game.  When I entered my teen years, I started watching and learning more about the history of the game and took a liking to the Celtics because of Pierce and also because they are basically the home team for Boston as well as the New England region, seeing as that is where I reside.  However, if he were to be traded, my loyalty would remain with the Celtics.  I'd still root for Pierce wherever he might potentially end up; however, it wouldn't change my affinity for the organization.

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yes.

i've notice some fans says, if danny trade pierce i'm done with the celtics,
how will this affect the fans? facebook main celtics page, live celtics game, celtics jersey #34 etc etc; paul peirce fan page?

Celtics are the Celtics.  They'll be fine. 

They were drawing in the mid-2000s when things were down.  They have a solid fanbase foundation. 

I could care less about the fanpages.  They are what they are. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I've been a Celtics fan since first becoming hooked on basketball back in 1981 when I was eleven.  My favorite player back then was Tiny Archibald. 

I didn't like Paul Pierce when we first drafted him.  My feelings were influenced by the fact that he was the big star for Kansas, and my beloved Rhody Rams had just pulled the big upset over them en route to the sweet sixteen.  I wanted to see my hero, Cat Mobley, show that he could compete with Kansas' star player.  He did, and the Rams won. 

2002 was definitely the year that Pierce started to win me over.  That trip to the Eastern Conference finals was a magical run for me.  My oldest daughter was born in May of that year during the Nets series.  I fondly remembering cradling my newborn and watching the Celtics complete a twenty-one point fourth quarter comeback against the Nets in those playoffs. 

I became a huge Pierce fan back then, and for me, although I grew up during the Bird Era, I feel like he is my generation's primary Celtic legend.  He's battled through good times and bad and has come through it all as one of the greatest to ever put on the green uniform. 

I really want to see him retire in Celtic green.  I feel like the organization owes him and the fans that opportunity.  The rebuild is going to come.  That's inevitable.  I don't see any reason to rush it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson