Poll

If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce, Do You Still Root For The Celtics?

Yes, Why?
29 (90.6%)
No, Why?
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 18, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Author Topic: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,  (Read 10579 times)

Re: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I doubt there are a ton of fans who only became Celtics fans due to Pierce.  Maybe some folks from Kansas who liked him in college, but otherwise I don't think Pierce was ever the type of superstar who developed his own following independent of the Celtics.

Now, I do think there are a lot of folks who only became a Celtics fan because of KG.  He already had his own engrained fan base before he got here, and he probably got a few bandwagoners from the New England area to follow the team, as well.  I would expect many of those fans would stop following the Celtics if he retires or is traded.

This is very accurate...I think Ray had a few of those to a lesser degree...but there's absolutely no question there were an abundance of kg fans that became Celtics fans...and Celtics fans became pierce fans..I'm sure there were a few people from Inglewood or Kansas that wouldn't have become Celtics fans if it weren't for him including pierce himself...but not many on these forums if I had to guess

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce"

Then you're probably young and don't know the history of the C's.

;D
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
"If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce"

Then you're probably young and don't know the history of the C's.

;D

Bingo. So good riddance, if you stop being a C's fan.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If you only "became a Celtics fan because of Pierce" then you're quite obviously not a Celtics fan. You're a Paul Pierce fan.

Koz, right there with you, but for me (speaking for me only) I would say "If you only became a Cs fan because of PP, and you don't root for them after he leaves, you never were a Celtics fan." Slight distinction, I know, but one that would be important to me.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If you only "became a Celtics fan because of Pierce" then you're quite obviously not a Celtics fan. You're a Paul Pierce fan.

Koz, right there with you, but for me (speaking for me only) I would say "If you only became a Cs fan because of PP, and you don't root for them after he leaves, you never were a Celtics fan." Slight distinction, I know, but one that would be important to me.

While I don't like the whole "you are not a fan" argument, I do think there is something to this.  There is a difference between a fan of a player and a fan of a team.

For example, I am a fan of Kevin Durant, but that doesn't make me a fan of the Thunder. 

Generally, a fan of any team roots for the laundry, no matter who is wearing it. 

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
KG brought me to this team but I already had a respect for the organization and heritage of this ballclub. I suspect many who like Pierce won't stop following the team when he retires or is traded.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I became a Celtic fan because when I started following the NBA, the first game I saw (in 07-08) Rondo struck me as a ridiculous odd force of nature, even amongst the big three.

Over time, however, I fell in love with their defensive focus, and the way the Celtics organisation carried itself over it's grand history, spanning several dynasties, with a great many retired numbers and famous coaches.

Hard work, teamplay, defense first. Between Larry, Red and Bill, there is nothing any franchise can offer that will top the Boston legacy.

Hence, I'll bleed green 'till I bleed no more.

even pierce or rondo or kg traded? lets say example pierce for luke walton?
Hehe, I thought I made it pretty clear; as long as the Celtics organisation resides in Boston, I'll cheer for the Green team.

Now if they'd move the franchise to a different city, as they did with OKC for example, I might reconsider.

Otherwise, I'm a Celtics fan.

Even if they trade the entire team, fire the front office and change owners. Even if they sell the parquet.

This ^^

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:15 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Pierce will forever be my favorite player. His style of play, cool calm demeanor, etc. Was always an Atlantic Division fan. But It was him that attracted me to the Celtics, and become a hardcore fan

But like others said, I'll always be a hardcore fan if Paul gets traded. And I'll surely root for whatever team Paul gets on, even if its a rival team

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I doubt there are a ton of fans who only became Celtics fans due to Pierce.  Maybe some folks from Kansas who liked him in college, but otherwise I don't think Pierce was ever the type of superstar who developed his own following independent of the Celtics.

Now, I do think there are a lot of folks who only became a Celtics fan because of KG.  He already had his own engrained fan base before he got here, and he probably got a few bandwagoners from the New England area to follow the team, as well.  I would expect many of those fans would stop following the Celtics if he retires or is traded.

How is it weird that someone became a Celtics fan because of Pierce, but not because of KG? Don't get that

Its still a player-attracted fandom

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Why? Explain!

????????????????????

I have been a celtic since the early to mid 80's i would say. WHo in their right mind chose a player over a team to begin with? I mean really?

oh wait, i forgot I know plenty people who just root for lebron no matter what team he is on. bigtime bandwagoners following the heat. more than people realize.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

How is it weird that someone became a Celtics fan because of Pierce, but not because of KG? Don't get that

I don't think he is saying it's "weird", just less common, purely because KG had what? 10 years to build a fan base separate from the C's fanbase before coming to Boston.  Pierce on the other hand spent his whole career with the C's, so chances are the majority of the fans were C's fans in the first place.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Many became fans because of Russell, Hondo, Cowens, or Bird, and they retired, but we are still here.
This.   (Add the Cooz, and the man with the cigar...aided and abetted by Johnny Most   ;))
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5

This is very accurate...I think Ray had a few of those to a lesser degree...but there's absolutely no question there were an abundance of kg fans that became Celtics fans...and Celtics fans became pierce fans..I'm sure there were a few people from Inglewood or Kansas that wouldn't have become Celtics fans if it weren't for him including pierce himself...but not many on these forums if I had to guess

I became a celtics fan because of kg. I began to appreciate pierce's talents as a player as a result

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Hmmn...kg was one of the most popular players in nba history, spent over a decade building a fan base on one of the worst franchises...there was as many kg fans as wolves fans...he had a large following from casual fans and a die-hard kg cult like following...when he was traded those people became Celtics fans. No one has become a Celtics fan because of pierce...more than likely they were already a Celtics fan and became a pierce fan as well growing up with him on their team....I find it a bit strange you became a Celtics fan because of pierce...but wouldn't find it weird in the event he was traded you decided to root for that team too....but it's enlightening to know you're so in love with pierce and saw his immature underachieving career pre kg and are as critical of rondo as you are....

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I became a fan because of Johnny Most, John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, Jo Jo White, Paul Silas, Hank Finkel, and Coach Heinsohn and reading all of the Red Auerbach stories and that victory cigar. I believe that God plucked my out of the rafters of Boston Garden dropped me headfirst through the hoop into the circle of life. One day with Green Q33 inscribed on my gravestone, I will wake up and report to practice with Coach Auerbach.
The beatings will continue until morale improves