Poll

If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce, Do You Still Root For The Celtics?

Yes, Why?
29 (90.6%)
No, Why?
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 18, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Author Topic: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,  (Read 10564 times)

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
Why? Explain!

Kiorrik

I became a Celtic fan because when I started following the NBA, the first game I saw (in 07-08), Rondo struck me as a ridiculous odd force of nature, even amongst the big three. So let's say we swap Pierce for Rondo in the question, because ultimately, that doesn't matter.

Over time, however, I fell in love with their defensive focus, and the way the Celtics organisation carried itself over it's grand history, spanning several dynasties, with a great many retired numbers and famous coaches.

Hard work, teamplay, defense first. Between Larry, Red and Bill, there is nothing any franchise can offer that will top the Boston legacy.

Hence, I'll bleed green 'till I bleed no more.

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
I became a Celtic fan because when I started following the NBA, the first game I saw (in 07-08) Rondo struck me as a ridiculous odd force of nature, even amongst the big three.

Over time, however, I fell in love with their defensive focus, and the way the Celtics organisation carried itself over it's grand history, spanning several dynasties, with a great many retired numbers and famous coaches.

Hard work, teamplay, defense first. Between Larry, Red and Bill, there is nothing any franchise can offer that will top the Boston legacy.

even pierce or rondo or kg traded? lets say example pierce for luke walton?

Kiorrik

I became a Celtic fan because when I started following the NBA, the first game I saw (in 07-08) Rondo struck me as a ridiculous odd force of nature, even amongst the big three.

Hehe, I thought I made it pretty clear; as long as the Celtics organisation resides in Boston, I'll cheer for the Green team.

Now if they'd move the franchise to a different city, as they did with OKC for example, I might reconsider.

Otherwise, I'm a Celtics fan.

Even if they trade the entire team, fire the front office and change owners. Even if they sell the parquet.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes, but I will also root for the team that Paul gets traded to.

I've been there, when Antoine (the reason why I became a Celtics fan) got traded to Miami. I was happy for him when he won his championship with Shaq, Payton, Mourning and that thug. I was extremely disappointed as well since we did not make the playoffs and 'Toine is getting a ring. But still root for the Celtics, the only one in my neighborhood who are all Lakers fans, and my brother a Dallas fan.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Yeah because that's probable?

I really don't think there's many fans of individuals over the franchise here? Although I'd gladly root for the individuals who wore the Celtics uniform elsewhere while remaining a Celtics fan

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Man you really love posting poll questions, haha.

It's called being indoctrinated as a fan into professional sports. You have a Perkins-esque scowl on your face for a week or two and then eventually start concentrating on the team we do have. 

Eventually we get a Pierce retirement video montage & ceremony anyways; we'll get our closure.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i will be very disappointed if theytrade pierce...but seriously, asking celts fans if they would stop rooting for the celts?!?!  :-\

of course we still root for them!

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
If Cs need to trade, the only folks avalaible are KG/PP/Rondo and Green.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've rooted for the laundry my entire life and will continue to no matter what happens with Pierce.

However, it would still pain the heck out of me to see Pierce go and I don't want to see it happen. I want him to be a Celtic for his entire career. He started with the Celts when I was in high school and he's still here now as I'm a thirtysomething. I was too young to appreciate Bird's prime so Pierce has been "the guy" for me and left an indelible mark.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: If You Only Became A Celtics Fan Because Of Pierce And They Trade Pierce,
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If you only "became a Celtics fan because of Pierce" then you're quite obviously not a Celtics fan. You're a Paul Pierce fan.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I doubt there are a ton of fans who only became Celtics fans due to Pierce.  Maybe some folks from Kansas who liked him in college, but otherwise I don't think Pierce was ever the type of superstar who developed his own following independent of the Celtics.

Now, I do think there are a lot of folks who only became a Celtics fan because of KG.  He already had his own engrained fan base before he got here, and he probably got a few bandwagoners from the New England area to follow the team, as well.  I would expect many of those fans would stop following the Celtics if he retires or is traded.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What if you only became a celts fan because of PP and he retires?

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Many became fans because of Russell, Hondo, Cowens, or Bird, and they retired, but we are still here.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I doubt there are a ton of fans who only became Celtics fans due to Pierce.  Maybe some folks from Kansas who liked him in college, but otherwise I don't think Pierce was ever the type of superstar who developed his own following independent of the Celtics.

Now, I do think there are a lot of folks who only became a Celtics fan because of KG.  He already had his own engrained fan base before he got here, and he probably got a few bandwagoners from the New England area to follow the team, as well.  I would expect many of those fans would stop following the Celtics if he retires or is traded.

Spot on. That's me, big KG fan. Though I would still follow the Celtics because Rondo came along and I'm a fan too.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk