Author Topic: What if...Fab Melo was drafted by San Antonio..?  (Read 3551 times)

Re: What if...Fab Melo was drafted by San Antonio..?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/nba/story/_/id/8113246/tracing-fab-melo-journey

"Any time a guy only started playing basketball seriously about three or four years ago, there is some learning curve," Celtics assistant general manager Ryan McDonough said. "But we're encouraged by his ability to learn."

That quote is from June 2012.

Fab Melo is a long-term project. He is not supposed to be playing major minutes in the NBA this year.

Hit it on the head. The reason he's in D-league is because they couldn't send him back to college for a year.  Lots of 1st rounders with big potential are playing in the D-league. No big deal.
exactly.

anyone thinking Melo should be getting playing time before teh 2014-2015 season has their expectations set too high.  This kid is so raw he'll probably need 2 years of D-league experience to become an NBA-quality backup.  If we're fortunate, he develops fast enough to make the team's 12-man game roster coming out of the 2014 training camp to back up whoever we have at center.  with some more luck, he develops into a serviceable starting center in a couple of more years after that

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If he's not on the roster next year getting at least spot and garbage minutes I will be extremely dissapointed.

I really don't think that's setting the bar too high

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
What is with the obsession over this guy?  I've seen him play.  In college and summer league.  Dude is not that good.  Certainly not strong enough to bang with the NBA guys yet.  Can't shoot either. I'm just hoping he turns out better than Loren Woods.  He wouldn't and doesn't deserve any playing time ahead of Wilcox or Collins.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Fab Melo = Kendrick Perkins essentially when it comes to development plan.

Perkins got:

1st year: no minutes
2nd year: 9.1 mpg, inconsistent spot backup minutes
3rd year: regular rotation minutes

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fab Melo = Kendrick Perkins essentially when it comes to development plan.

Perkins got:

1st year: no minutes
2nd year: 9.1 mpg, inconsistent spot backup minutes
3rd year: regular rotation minutes

Fair assessment ,   Perkins had even more basketball exposure than Fab overall ....  Melo is having crash course in NBA.    Fab should be ok by end of 2014

Like Bradley I think Fab is worth the wait

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Ya, as if you have to wonder...He'd be IN the rotation by now, and you either know it, or you don't know enough about hoop. SA doesn't send their draft picks out to pasture...and why would anyone...you don't get NBA by D league time. You only get D league. We have KG to teach him, and play some REAL meaningful minutes that COUNT to something....WHY wait till KG is dead....he is here NOW..put the kid in, KG wanted to play forward all along, said so, and you know that..Melo at center...that is what he does......Did Indiana send Hibbert to the D league..?
He'd already be a surefire Hall of Famer, and poised to challenge the all-time records of Hakeem and Dikembe. Also, he'd have grown to 7'5, and would have had jets on his back.

You just have to wonder...

Also, while we're at this, I'd like Doc to put me in as well. I wanted to play guard all along. I'm very teachable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If Melo was drafted by San Antonio, he may have been cut by now.  Not only is Pop just as tough on young guys as Doc, but San Antonio has much less patience with letting young guys develop.  If they don't see strong development quickly, then they will be quick to cut them loose.