Author Topic: Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'  (Read 7994 times)

Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
By Gary Dzen, Boston.com Staff

Celtics president of basketball operations went on WEEI's Big Show Thursday afternoon and said his team was not close to making a trade but that he'd been open to discussing any deal that would make the Celtics better.

"We are open and listening, but we don't feel pressure to do anything," said Ainge. "Whether we win every game or whether we struggle, I think it all depends on what opportunities are presented. We want to make some change to help improve our team."

The player who would seem to have the most value on the open market is Paul Pierce. He's a veteran who can help a contending team win now, and only $4 million of his $15.3 million contract for next season is guaranteed. Ainge said he has not received any offers for Pierce, but he said that he would inform his veteran forward of any potential trade discussions.

"Nothing has been talked about with Paul," said Ainge. "Nothing is close to being done. I too would like to see Paul retire as a Celtic.That would be great. We're all attached to Paul. He's been great for the city, the franchise, and he's been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul. My job is to do what's in the best interest of our team, regardless of my personal ties or my personal feelings with the players."

Ainge was also adamant that he was not currently in the market to pick up another point guard to replace Rajon Rondo.

"Not right now," he said. "There's a lot of reasons why we're not just jumping out and doing something.There really is nobody that you can find to replace Rondo, either through a trade or free agent acquisition, at this time of year. We like the guys -- Barbosa's been dying for a chance to play, and Jason Terry, and Avery Bradley at the point. I think all those guys are looking for an opportunity."

The Celtics have won their last two games with Rondo, and talk radio was filled Thursday with fans calling in suggesting that the team might be better without its All-Star point guard. Ainge quickly shot down notion.

"He single-handedly carries us every night, and I don't know how people don't see that," said Ainge. "It's silly. He's a great, great player, and he's proven that time and time again. The guy's been MVP of probably four or five series over the last five years. He's been the best player in a series against LeBron James. He's been the best player in a series against Derrick Rose. He's been the best player in three games in a Finals series. The guy has done too many good things. The question is, 'Are the pieces right around him?'"

One criticism of Rondo is that he dominates the ball too much. Another is that he cares too much about his statistics. Ainge called the entire notion of double-doubles and triple-doubles "nonsense" and said he understands the criticism of Rondo's attempt at keeping his streak of consecutive games with double-digit assists alive earlier this season vs. Detroit. But he says most of Rondo's triple-double performances have transcended the stats.

"The rebounds he gets, most guards can't get," said Ainge. "The assists that he gets, a lot of people can't get."

Ainge sounded relatively happy with his current team. He did not sound like a GM looking to make drastic changes for this season.

"I think I've been pretty consistent on this team the last couple of years,"he said. "I said I like the individuals. Obviously I don't like 20-23, which we were when Rondo got hurt. I didn't like any part of that.

"But what I particularly said is I like what these guys are made of, especially our core guys. When it comes down to playoff basketball, I know what they're made of, and I know that they have the gear to take it to another level."

Ainge said he expected the Celtics to make some kind of move, but not necessarily a major one, before the Feb. 21 NBA trade deadline.

Re: Danny Ainge: 'We are open and listening'
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
What's new?

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What's new?

1. Point-blank admitting he'd trade Pierce (but talk to him first). I don't think I've heard Ainge go on the record like that before.

2. His comments on the criticisms of Rondo, and the belief that the team is better off without him (wonder if Ainge reads Celticsblog).

3. His expectation of making a trade before the deadline. Wyc has also said this, but Ainge hasn't said so, if I recall correctly.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
When is he ever not?

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Celtics president of basketball operations went on WEEI's Big Show Thursday afternoon and said his team was not close to making a trade but that he'd been open to discussing any deal that would make the Celtics better.

"We are open and listening, but we don't feel pressure to do anything," said Ainge. "Whether we win every game or whether we struggle, I think it all depends on what opportunities are presented. We want to make some change to help improve our team."

The player who would seem to have the most value on the open market is Paul Pierce. He's a veteran who can help a contending team win now, and only $4 million of his $15.3 million contract for next season is guaranteed. Ainge said he has not received any offers for Pierce, but he said that he would inform his veteran forward of any potential trade discussions.

"Nothing has been talked about with Paul," said Ainge. "Nothing is close to being done. I too would like to see Paul retire as a Celtic.That would be great. We're all attached to Paul. He's been great for the city, the franchise, and he's been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul. My job is to do what's in the best interest of our team, regardless of my personal ties or my personal feelings with the players."

Ainge was also adamant that he was not currently in the market to pick up another point guard to replace Rajon Rondo.

"Not right now," he said. "There's a lot of reasons why we're not just jumping out and doing something.There really is nobody that you can find to replace Rondo, either through a trade or free agent acquisition, at this time of year. We like the guys -- Barbosa's been dying for a chance to play, and Jason Terry, and Avery Bradley at the point. I think all those guys are looking for an opportunity."

The Celtics have won their last two games with Rondo, and talk radio was filled Thursday with fans calling in suggesting that the team might be better without its All-Star point guard. Ainge quickly shot down notion.

"He single-handedly carries us every night, and I don't know how people don't see that," said Ainge. "It's silly. He's a great, great player, and he's proven that time and time again. The guy's been MVP of probably four or five series over the last five years. He's been the best player in a series against LeBron James. He's been the best player in a series against Derrick Rose. He's been the best player in three games in a Finals series. The guy has done too many good things. The question is, 'Are the pieces right around him?'"

One criticism of Rondo is that he dominates the ball too much. Another is that he cares too much about his statistics. Ainge called the entire notion of double-doubles and triple-doubles "nonsense" and said he understands the criticism of Rondo's attempt at keeping his streak of consecutive games with double-digit assists alive earlier this season vs. Detroit. But he says most of Rondo's triple-double performances have transcended the stats.

"The rebounds he gets, most guards can't get," said Ainge. "The assists that he gets, a lot of people can't get."

Ainge sounded relatively happy with his current team. He did not sound like a GM looking to make drastic changes for this season.

"I think I've been pretty consistent on this team the last couple of years,"he said. "I said I like the individuals. Obviously I don't like 20-23, which we were when Rondo got hurt. I didn't like any part of that.

"But what I particularly said is I like what these guys are made of, especially our core guys. When it comes down to playoff basketball, I know what they're made of, and I know that they have the gear to take it to another level."

Ainge said he expected the Celtics to make some kind of move, but not necessarily a major one, before the Feb. 21 NBA trade deadline.

dis gon be good.  ;)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
No trades please.

And definitely not just for the sake of it.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

dis gon be good.  ;)

+1....fun exciting stuff, I agree

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
What's new?

1. Point-blank admitting he'd trade Pierce (but talk to him first). I don't think I've heard Ainge go on the record like that before.

2. His comments on the criticisms of Rondo, and the belief that the team is better off without him (wonder if Ainge reads Celticsblog).

3. His expectation of making a trade before the deadline. Wyc has also said this, but Ainge hasn't said so, if I recall correctly.
^^^thanks for the clif notes!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Ok Danny beacuse you are open and listening...

Trade Terry for Billups
Trade Rondo for Howard
Trade Bass and Collins for Smith
Reintegrate Melo
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:43:23 PM by eugen »

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Ok Danny beacuse you areopne and listening...

Trade Terry for Billups
Trade Rondo for Howard
Trade Bass and Collins for Smith
Reintegrate Melo
What's new?

^^^thanks for the clif notes!

Go home.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ainge ""He single-handedly carries us every night"

Single-handedly dominates the ball for 48 minutes every night. Oh yeah terrible defense and turnovers galore.
The only thing I like about Rondos game is his rebounding.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

Single-handedly dominates the ball for 48 minutes every night. Oh yeah terrible defense and turnovers galore.

Rondo turns the ball over around once every ten minutes, which isn't too shabby for someone who "single-handedly dominates the ball for 48 minutes every night." It's about the same rate as Steve Nash in his two MVP seasons. 

You claim the only thing you like about Rondo's game is his rebounding. You don't like Rondo's passing? 

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 12:09:45 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Doc Rivers reaffirmed why O.J. Mayo didn’t become a Celtic last season.

On WEEI Thursday morning, Doc Rivers said Memphis backed out of the deal that that would have swapped Mayo for Ray Allen.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Rondo turns the ball over around once every ten minutes, which isn't too shabby for someone who "single-handedly dominates the ball for 48 minutes every night." It's about the same rate as Steve Nash in his two MVP seasons. 

You claim the only thing you like about Rondo's game is his rebounding. You don't like Rondo's passing?

Given he averages, what, 36 minutes a game I think you aren't seeing just how amazing a "stat" this is. Oh, this is also the poster who has hypothesized that  rondo would be a great amnesty candidate, ago, yeah. Thankfully posters here aren't running this team.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:27 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Rondo for a late first. Or a second round pick.