Author Topic: Anyone here ever renounce citizenship before?  (Read 7681 times)

Re: Anyone here ever renounce citizenship before?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
In order to get citizenship in another country? I'm just curious how this goes and the pros and cons. Obviously I have some research to do.

From which country to which other country?
From the US to a Euro country. I guess they all have different requirements, right?

Yes they all have different requirements, fox example Germany from what i know it's not possible to have dual citizenship, most EU countries do not allow dual citizenship or have a long list of pre-requirements before allowing dual citizenship. Italy and France are bigger eu countries that allow dual citizenship. I'm from Macedonia, small country in eu. My grandfather imigrated to USA 45 years a go and his wife, born and raised in USA just got Macedonian citizenship, but i guess you don't want macedonian citizenship hahaha. It's a poor country but pretty low taxes :)

I know quite a bunch of germans who have dual cituzenship, so that's not really true... But yes, there are some prerequirements. Most of them are country specific I believe, so it'll require some research.

The only guys I know that have renounced US citizenship are people who haven't grown up in the US and felt the negatives of keeping citizenship largely outweigh the positives.

i was wrong, you can have a dual citizenship if german passport is your second but not the other way. German citizenship is automatically lost when a German citizen voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I've been overseas for 25 years now...and counting.

Personally, would not want to renounce my US citizenship...though not sure I'll ever come back, I do want the option.  A number of countries do offer dual citizenship, and/or ways to become a long-term resident, which is the option I prefer.

Good luck with this...

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Make sure you speak the langauge.  Rosetta Stone for the win.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Make sure you speak the langauge.  Rosetta Stone for the win.

More like ftl.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"