Author Topic: Good big picture look at recent NBA happenings from Woj  (Read 7981 times)

Good big picture look at recent NBA happenings from Woj
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Good big picture look at recent NBA happenings from Woj
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Didn't realize he had beef with Hollinger. Wonder if it is a little bit of jealousy that Woj wasn't able to secure a front office job.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Woj was trying to get into NBA front offices?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll be really interested to see to what extent Woj is right.  Is the era of "super friends" over, or will they just be congregating on a handful of rich teams?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sorry I was just making an inference because Woj came off as petty in taking his shot against Hollinger.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
On the same topic, Chris Mannix drops the following. I particularly love the quote on Austin Daye.

"These trades are absolutely terrible," says a Western Conference scout. "Gay is a young star. He has been used as Memphis' third option this season. They hardly ran any plays for him. Prince has been finished for two years. Speights complimented [Marc] Gasol and [Zach] Randolph, which Davis doesn't. And Daye can't play dead."

Across the NBA, league execs expressed surprise at the timing of the deals, too. Memphis could have waited to trade Gay and Speights until the offseason, unloading them before the punitive luxury tax penalties kicked in. The Cavaliers were always going to be there, always going to be willing to absorb some salary if Memphis shipped a first-round pick to sweeten the pot. Yet the Grizzlies were determined to hold a fire sale, hell bent to break up the roster right away, which is why Gay and Speights are gone, why $12 million has been shaved off this season's payroll and $37 million in future obligations is gone, too.

"They were telling everyone they wanted a young 3 on a rookie deal," said an Eastern Conference executive. "They didn't get that. I'm shocked they didn't demand Terrence Ross."

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

As usual, a tad dramatic, but some interesting stuff here...

That's for sure.  Woj gets good tips but his writing has officially worn out its welcome with me.  I mean I've hated it for a while but at this point he's the worst writer in sports I think.  So sensationalist.

Anyways, I think the point is interesting.  But what I would say to counter is that the market may just correct itself.  At the same time as the clamps  on salaries are being put on, players will not suddenly want to go to smaller markets or not try to team up with talent to win titles.  In reality, the era of "superfriends" may not be over at all, just everyone but the superstars will get paid less.  The market will adjust.

Smaller markets could go and try to pay these players more to lure them in, but for some players, like Gay, you are basically making a stupid move and settling for mediocrity.

It's also important with a player like Gay to acknowledge that he is part of the last line of contracts, like Joe Johnson that were set up in the old financial period and through transition are having to deal with the new realities.  In the future this will change.  I imagine a player like Gay just won't get paid like that in a couple years.

Didn't realize he had beef with Hollinger. Wonder if it is a little bit of jealousy that Woj wasn't able to secure a front office job.

Why would you say he even wanted a front office job?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:24:05 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On the same topic, Chris Mannix drops the following. I particularly love the quote on Austin Daye.

"These trades are absolutely terrible," says a Western Conference scout. "Gay is a young star. He has been used as Memphis' third option this season. They hardly ran any plays for him. Prince has been finished for two years. Speights complimented [Marc] Gasol and [Zach] Randolph, which Davis doesn't. And Daye can't play dead."

Across the NBA, league execs expressed surprise at the timing of the deals, too. Memphis could have waited to trade Gay and Speights until the offseason, unloading them before the punitive luxury tax penalties kicked in. The Cavaliers were always going to be there, always going to be willing to absorb some salary if Memphis shipped a first-round pick to sweeten the pot. Yet the Grizzlies were determined to hold a fire sale, hell bent to break up the roster right away, which is why Gay and Speights are gone, why $12 million has been shaved off this season's payroll and $37 million in future obligations is gone, too.

"They were telling everyone they wanted a young 3 on a rookie deal," said an Eastern Conference executive. "They didn't get that. I'm shocked they didn't demand Terrence Ross."

Can't take seriously someone who can't spell "complement" correctly.

"And Daye can't play dead." -- what does that even mean?!

Yes, it's a knee-jerk reaction.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sorry I was just making an inference because Woj came off as petty in taking his shot against Hollinger.
Ah okay, makes sense I just thought I might have missed that.

Woj has been coming across as a very petty columnist for a while now. (LBJ hate-fest of his lasted for about two years after all)

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Maybe he meant that Maresse Speights' primary role on the team was to tell Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph how great they are. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Woj has been coming across as a very petty columnist for a while now. (LBJ hate-fest of his lasted for about two years after all)

Then flipped so wildly to a love fest post title.

Ugh his writing is the worst.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Maybe he meant that Maresse Speights' primary role on the team was to tell Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph how great they are.
It must be that, because in terms of on-court contribution, he was decidedly replaceable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I only care for his rumors.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's the sort of details I want to read about, so if he is petty then I am glad he is.  Maybe feeling that way gives him more incentive to find out actual details instead of lazily making up trade rumors like he's writing sports fanfic.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Woj definitely took a shot at Hollinger.

I disagree with his premise that Memphis made a bad deal too.

Ultimately the new Tax only allows a handful of teams, that can get these incredibly rich tv deals, to be able to 1) make a profit, 2)fill out an adequate roster, and 3) have three max guys.

Small market teams like OKC and Memphis will never get TV deals like the Knicks and Lakers so they can't afford three max guys.

But the Laker and Knicks can have three max guys, fill the roster with some MLE level deals, and still make a lot of money.

If anything this new tax hurts the mid-markets even more because no one will dare mess with the luxury tax unless your a major market team.

Side note* Lebron James brings in so much revenue to whatever team he plays for that his team as long as he is still in demand could afford three max. level guys. He is basically the reason the Heat just got a fat tv contract. If not for his presence it likely doesn't happen, but it did, and the Heat will make a lot of money because of it.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14