Author Topic: Our Most Recent Look at DMC  (Read 3127 times)

Our Most Recent Look at DMC
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Pretty good article from greenstreet on Cousins after last night's game:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/01/31/you-dont-want-demarcus-cousins-on-the-celtics/

Asked about what went wrong in Sacramento’s 99-81 loss to the C’s, Cousins explained: “We made changes that we didn’t really need. That affected the flow of the game. We have a tendency to do that. Sometimes, you’ve got to just keep letting it ride. Sometimes, you’ve got to stick with the original game plan and just let it play through.”

...here’s what went wrong: The Kings allowed 37 points in the second quarter. The Celtics made their first 14 shots and finished 16-of-20 from the field in the frame.

After he and Chuck Hayes joked around for a bit in the locker room following an 18-point loss, Cousins addressed the media. Just as Boston reporters asked Garnett about Jared Sullinger‘s absence from the Rising Stars Challenge, Sacramento’s contingent questioned Cousins about the snub of Isaiah Thomas.

“I feel like that’s on the organization,” said Cousins. “There’s no reason Isiah shouldn’t have been in that game. He’s had an incredible year, and once again he’s not even mentioned, so I feel like that’s on the organization.”

I can't tell if Cousins is just a bad seed who won't change anytime soon or if this culture of losing in SAC plays a much bigger hand in it.  The kid is an outstanding and willing passer and rightfully sticks up for a snubbed Isaiah Thomas, but the constant on-court moping and T's often overshadow his good teammate qualities.

I think Mike Gorman put it perfectly during last night's telecast when he said "DeMarcus Cousins just looks like he walks around with the weight of the world on his shoulders."

Overall I still think he could be turned in the right direction by the right coach/organization, but man he doesn't do himself any favors.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Our Most Recent Look at DMC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The organization hasn't done him any favors.

But some of it has to go on him.  He looked a little better as it went on, but in the first half, it was so puzzling seeing Cousins just stand around the perimeter and try to take players one on one occasionally.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
This was the the more realistic view on cousins then when we were in Sacramento...which was possibly his best game as a pro.

Not sure why everyone wants to be Sacramento east, because that's what you're destined for with him on your roster

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Again, I'll just direct you to look up a history of one Rasheed Wallace.  Could have been an All-time great with his talent.  Ended up having a just pretty darn good career. 

I think Cousins will manage that, at least.  Dunno if he'll be a major contributor on a team that wins a title, but I think somebody he'll be the kind of player that could.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »

Offline jayhovaone

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I Think the problem with cousins is not only himself but his coach.  As a coach you have to know that he is arguably the best player and most talented player on your team but again they don't put him (cousins) in a position to succeed on and off the court.  They don't get him the ball in the post everytime he actually got the ball last night he was at the free throw line.  That team has to many guys wanting to go one on one (thomas, thorton and evans) and all that does is aggravate you as a player.  If I am the best player on my team offensively and my coach doesn't get me the [dang] ball I would get p---ed.  I know Cousins is a handful because he is so immature but you have to give him a chance during the game.  The game before this one keith smart benches him in the fourth quarter and says that he had better players on the floor.  Smart says he just didn't call plays for cousins and it's that simple.  I would force feed him the ball and let cousins make the pass out of a double team because he is a very good passer.  It just does not make sense.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:19 AM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I have been wanting the c's to trade for cousins for the past 2 years, but I do have serious reservations. I am not bothered by his anger issues. What concerns me is his on court demeanor and body language. It makes him look like a lazy  disinterested player. I watch a lot of kings game because I like him and tyreke, so I have seen the best and worst of him. On the rare occasions the Kings are winning, he is a different player.  He seems engaged and Happy to be on the team. I kinda give him a pass overall. I think a player coming into the league with his question marks could not have been drafted into a worse situation. The team has no direction, and has not had one in the past decade. Keith smart may be one of the worse coaches in the league. To me, he is basically a puppet for a management group that has no interest in building a winning team.

Hopefully,  Evans and cousins can get out of Sacramento as soon as possible.  Their talent is being wasted there

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have no idea if he is going to shape up in a new organization, but I think its pretty clear that the ship has sailed with him shaping up in sacramento.

Perhaps the new ownership can install a regime that can save him, but that still might be tough.  He needs a change of scenery badly.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm not sure if he'd react well to KG.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:55 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I have no idea if he is going to shape up in a new organization, but I think its pretty clear that the ship has sailed with him shaping up in sacramento.

Perhaps the new ownership can install a regime that can save him, but that still might be tough.  He needs a change of scenery badly.

I mean I can kind of understand where he's coming from in some respects - I don't think Keith Smart is the right coach, the Maloofs have 1 foot out the door, ect - but DeMarcus just has not earned the clout to dictate anything other than his effort on the court. 

I don't think he gets that.

BUT, if the Kings (Sonics) are able to turn things around quickly in Seattle I think the relationship could be mended. They have the assets, but they don't have the right mix.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
I'm not sure if he'd react well to KG.

I think it can go 1 of 2 ways with KG.

1. They bump heads, but eventually KG rubs off on DMC, he changes his work ethic, and BAM, all star big man with the right attitude, on a winning team.

or..

2. Whatever the opposite of 1. is.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Again, I'll just direct you to look up a history of one Rasheed Wallace.  Could have been an All-time great with his talent.  Ended up having a just pretty darn good career. 

I think Cousins will manage that, at least.  Dunno if he'll be a major contributor on a team that wins a title, but I think somebody he'll be the kind of player that could.

This is pretty much my assessment of him too--with the understanding that 'Sheed was always a much better basketball player than Cousins has been (so far).

I definitely see the similarities in attitude, though. Anyone else hear an echo of "Cut that check?"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I mean I can kind of understand where he's coming from in some respects - I don't think Keith Smart is the right coach, the Maloofs have 1 foot out the door, ect - but DeMarcus just has not earned the clout to dictate anything other than his effort on the court. 

I don't think he gets that.

BUT, if the Kings (Sonics) are able to turn things around quickly in Seattle I think the relationship could be mended. They have the assets, but they don't have the right mix.

The thing that could save him is that it is likely that the new owners will clean house anyways.  Smart, Petrie, et al will likely be gone before next season.  So, with those changes, you might be able to get Cousins back on track.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This was the the more realistic view on cousins then when we were in Sacramento...which was possibly his best game as a pro.

Really? You think his best game as a pro was when he shot 4 for 12 against us last month?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4720/gamelog

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Blatche was the same in Washington. He's out now and has a better attitude. Some of the blame must be put on the organization.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Very immature player. Every single call against him, he started to spazz out.  Poor body language at times if things don't go his way and doesn't run hard all the time. He is also 15 pounds too heavy. Not that he is out of shape, but 15 pounds of less fat would make him that much better. He is not a Center but rather a pf, that could play center against certain teams.

Even though his overall skills is not as great, i like Thomas Robinson's attitude and hard work on the court