Author Topic: How bout Rondo for Josh Smith  (Read 5957 times)

Re: How bout Rondo for Josh Smith
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd rather just trade Rondo to Atlanta

How about this

Rondo, Terry, Collins for Williams, Korver, Jenkins, Petro, 2013 1st (HOU), 2014 1st (ATL)

or

Rondo, Lee, Collins for Williams, Korver, Petro, Teague

bad trade for me

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We'd still have to give him a max contract so no. Ainge reportedly in today's globe didn't value Gay as a cornerstone , no way he gives Smith a max deal.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

How about this

Rondo, Terry, Collins for Williams, Korver, Jenkins, Petro, 2013 1st (HOU), 2014 1st (ATL)

or

bad trade for me
why.  Rondo is out probably a year and he won't be 100% (if ever) until the start of the 2014-15 season, which is the last year of his contract.  And sure Rondo will play again, but his style of play is based on athleticism, speed, etc. so there is a very good chance Rondo will never be close to the player he is ever again, and he can't shoot so he can't morph his game well into a different type of player.  Sure if you trade him, there is a risk he comes back better than ever, but at least in both of those trades, the C's are getting some real value back for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How bout no. josh Smith is so fraudulently over rated around here....just wait until he was actually here... he'd have more detractors then rondo and green combined
Gotta agree. For those that aren't the largest Rondo fans, if you aren't crazy about Rondo, you will hate Josh Smith.

Too true.  Josh Smith would be a terribly polarizing player here.  It's such an exciting concept I kinda wish we get to see Rondo and J-Smoove together.  Whether it succeeds or fails, it will be spectacular.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Kind of a wild Idea, but if the the Hawks are going to loose him anyway. Why not get a top Point guard in return next year.  BTW, The advertisements are already giving me a headache.
Smith wanted to play here because of Rondo. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.
Plus you don't want to build around Josh Smith. If you have Rondo around maybe Smith is worth it as your second star, but just Smith? No thanks.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 09:57:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

How about this

or

bad trade for me
why.  Rondo is out probably a year and he won't be 100% (if ever) until the start of the 2014-15 season, which is the last year of his contract.  And sure Rondo will play again, but his style of play is based on athleticism, speed, etc. so there is a very good chance Rondo will never be close to the player he is ever again, and he can't shoot so he can't morph his game well into a different type of player.  Sure if you trade him, there is a risk he comes back better than ever, but at least in both of those trades, the C's are getting some real value back for him.
Because not everyone thinks the best way forward is to tank immediately by trading every good player for nothing.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Kind of a wild Idea, but if the the Hawks are going to loose him anyway. Why not get a top Point guard in return next year.  BTW, The advertisements are already giving me a headache.
Smith wanted to play here because of Rondo. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense.
Plus you don't want to build around Josh Smith. If you have Rondo around maybe Smith is worth it as your second star, but just Smith? No thanks.
Bulding around Smith is pretty much the same as building around Rondo. Having both of them may get you somewhere, but having one of them? Definitely not enough.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

How about this

or

bad trade for me
Adrian Peterson had his knee better in less than a year. Iman Shumpert too. Rose is about to come back in 9 months time.

A torn ACL is no longer a year recovery and another year to get back to your previous baseline. It takes about 9 months now. If Rondo gets his surgery by mid February, I would expect him back full strength by Christmas of the 2012-13 season at the very latest.

Really think you are stretching it to think Rondo isn't back to normal until 2014-15.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bulding around Smith is pretty much the same as building around Rondo. Having both of them may get you somewhere, but having one of them? Definitely not enough.

That statement applies to pretty much everyone in the league besides LeBron.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Nope, it doesn't. Building around Irving, Aldridge, or Curry -- to name a few, and without going into obvious names such as Chris Paul or Carmelo Anthony -- is something I'd much rather prefer.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Nope, it doesn't. Building around Irving, Aldridge, or Curry -- to name a few, and without going into obvious names such as Chris Paul or Carmelo Anthony -- is something I'd much rather prefer.

The fact that you'd prefer to build around them doesn't mean that you can win with them without a very good supporting cast.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

How about this

or

bad trade for me
Because not everyone thinks the best way forward is to tank immediately by trading every good player for nothing.
Williams, Jenkins, and 2 picks or Williams and Teague are nothing?  You and I have greatly different definitions of that word.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The fact that you'd prefer to build around them doesn't mean that you can win with them without a very good supporting cast.
If you define "supporting cast" as a collection of lesser players, I see much better chance to build one around the players I mentioned rather than with Rondo or Smith.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:03:27 AM by kozlodoev »