Author Topic: The Cs will be ok without Rondo..  (Read 5765 times)

Re: The Cs will be ok without Rondo..
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

On nights when Paul doesn't have his legs, its frustrating. But on the whole I understand it and Paul was playing very well last night, much better than Green.

ok this makes me angry. you dont know what you are talking about.

Jeff Green was 5 for 5 when he left the game (7:39 left 2nd qtr) and had scored 8 out of the last 10 Cs points. He did not re enter the game until 4:43 left in the 3rd quarter. I would not expect anyone to maintain their touch through that time period. Thats over 11 minutes of game time plus intermission etc. Fouls were irrelevant last night.

This is a very bad way to handle subs imo. Pierce could/should have played less minutes. We cant expect so much from Green if hes getting the seat pulled from under him everytime he goes on a run
I'm sorry that you're angry that Doc feels that Paul Pierce should play more time than Jeff Green.  Jeff Green hit his shots early last night, but he didn't really play that well otherwise. Doc cares a lot more about the other things (especially with Green) than he does makes/misses.

You'll notice the team kept right on going and expanded that 6 point lead when Green left to 20+ points.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

On nights when Paul doesn't have his legs, its frustrating. But on the whole I understand it and Paul was playing very well last night, much better than Green.

Jeff Green was 5 for 5 when he left the game (7:39 left 2nd qtr) and had scored 8 out of the last 10 Cs points. He did not re enter the game until 4:43 left in the 3rd quarter. I would not expect anyone to maintain their touch through that time period. Thats over 11 minutes of game time plus intermission etc. Fouls were irrelevant last night.

This is a very bad way to handle subs imo. Pierce could/should have played less minutes. We cant expect so much from Green if hes getting the seat pulled from under him everytime he goes on a run
I'm sorry that you're angry that Doc feels that Paul Pierce should play more time than Jeff Green.  Jeff Green hit his shots early last night, but he didn't really play that well otherwise. Doc cares a lot more about the other things (especially with Green) than he does makes/misses.

You'll notice the team kept right on going and expanded that 6 point lead when Green left to 20+ points.

Nobody is saying pulling green caused the celtics to do poorly or anything. Still, green was playing well when he was pulled. Just because his name is "Paul pierce" does not mean he should play more than green especially on the nights where pierce is bricking everything he shoots. If pierce has it going fine but if green has it going play green.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Nobody is saying pulling green caused the celtics to do poorly or anything. Still, green was playing well when he was pulled. Just because his name is "Paul pierce" does not mean he should play more than green especially on the nights where pierce is bricking everything he shoots. If pierce has it going fine but if green has it going play green.
1. Pierce did have it going, he played great last night.

2. Green shot well in the first half, which is great. That doesn't mean he was "playing well".

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

2. Green shot well in the first half, which is great. That doesn't mean he was "playing well".

There's nothing "wrong" with Doc pulling Green when he did, putting him back in when he did etc., it's just a missed opportunity to (1) let a guy returning from injury have a heat check moment or two in a midweek, midseason regular season game against a garbage Western Conference squad and (2) rest the Captain (who's had tired legs for several weeks) a little bit longer.  It's emblematic of the country club atmosphere that seems to be present (for better and for worse) on Doc's Celtics teams.

I love Pierce and want to see him retire a Celtic.  At the same time, from what I can tell, a lot of people (and Doc) think the following:

1. Don't trade Pierce.
2. Don't play Pierce off the bench.
3. Don't reduce Pierce's minutes.
4. Don't experiment with running the offense through anyone other than Pierce when he's on the court.
5. I want the Celtics to win the 2012-13 NBA championship.

I'm sorry, but one of these statements is not like the others.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Rondo can play lights out ...when he feels like it..

Unless its a big TV game or playoff. Or game Rondo has personal interest in......he often just plays a lazy ball dominating game that puts the rest of the team at odds, they get no rhythm and suck.

Dominating The ball standing around letting the defense set up kills the flow to the game, , he is killing the teams momentum at bad moments.   

,when Rondo decides to play its amazing to watch......just too seldom he brings the effort.

Doc is to blame.....Rondo.  Lazy  brainless turnovers and poor ball movement should have him benched

We will be ok during most of the games long as everybody else is healthy,  Rondo will be seriously missed if the Celtics make the playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

lol alright then.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Unless its a big TV game or playoff. Or game Rondo has personal interest in......he often just plays a lazy ball dominating game that puts the rest of the team at odds, they get no rhythm and suck.

Dominating The ball standing around letting the defense set up kills the flow to the game, , he is killing the teams momentum at bad moments.   

,when Rondo decides to play its amazing to watch......just too seldom he brings the effort.

Doc is to blame.....Rondo.  Lazy  brainless turnovers and poor ball movement should have him benched

We will be ok during most of the games long as everybody else is healthy,  Rondo will be seriously missed if the Celtics make the playoffs.

I agree completely. Rondo hurts this team more than people are willing to admit. That being said we won't win a championship without him. Not with this current team anyways.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »

Offline mustang

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
I actually think the C's have a punchers chance to make a run without Rondo this year, and to just as importantly set themselves up to bring him back into the fold of a powerhouse contending team next year. But this requires Doc tweaking things a little bit.

My two cents on how to make this happen:

1. Reduce Pierce's minutes to 30-32, something similar to the KG plan.
2. Start the following lineup the rest of the season:

Bradley
Pierce
Green
Sullinger
KG

Bradley and Green take the toughest covers among guards/wings, and let Pierce bring the ball up and facilitate. Shorten the bench to an eight-man rotation (with spot minutes for the ninth man in, Wilcox):

Lee
Bass
Terry

Bring Lee/Bass in for Pierce/KG halfway through the first and turn on the afterburners.

Then, next season, when Rondo's healthy, make Pierce the sixth man and win a championship for his and KG's farewell tour around the league.  Rinse, repeat.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I hope you enjoy .500 ball, because that's what we'll be playing with Rondo out.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I hope you enjoy .500 ball, because that's what we'll be playing with Rondo out.
Well, for what it's worth, we were firmly planted in sub-.500 land with Rondo, so...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Unless its a big TV game or playoff. Or game Rondo has personal interest in......

Meaning it's not just playoff games, it's not just national tv games, whenever Rondo has a good game people theorize about why he might have a personal interest in the game in order to perpetuate this myth.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Well, for what it's worth, we were firmly planted in sub-.500 land with Rondo, so...

True.  TP.

Let me rephrase this: I hope the OP enjoys an early playoff exit, because that's where we're headed with Rondo out.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »

Offline yagru

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
fafnir: im not angry at doc, just your illegitimate comment "Green wasnt playing well". In the end this game is about who has more points on the board. period.

to above: who said anything about enjoying rondo being out? Im just commenting that they will do fine in the regular season when its our 10 best guys vs theirs. Nothing has changed from the beginning of the season, the celtics have more talent than most teams.. and that will show better with these rotations. When it doesnt matter is when you get into the playoffs and its our best 7-8 vs theirs.. thats when Rondos absence will be evident.

They could still do something in the playoffs if they remain healthy and find someone become their go to ball handler.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Unless its a big TV game or playoff. Or game Rondo has personal interest in......

Meaning it's not just playoff games, it's not just national tv games, whenever Rondo has a good game people theorize about why he might have a personal interest in the game in order to perpetuate this myth.
LOL Tim rides Rondo sooo hard he might be the biggest Rondo fan in the world
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

LOL Tim rides Rondo sooo hard he might be the biggest Rondo fan in the world

...or maybe someone who's opinion isn't overly influenced by what they read on the internet. Rondo's been an all-star 4 years in a row, 1st or 2nd team all-defense 4 years running, he's 3rd team all-nba, and he's a top 10-12 player according to espn player rankings.

None of that really proves how good of a player he is, but read the posts in the Rondo threads, consider the things I mentioned (all national things, not just blind homers vote for those things) and tell me my opinion's farther from the mainstream opinion of Rondo than the people who are trashing him.