Author Topic: Rondo watching games from home...and other silver linings  (Read 4473 times)

Rondo watching games from home...and other silver linings
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
A potential positive side effect of Rondo's injury could be that he might be at home actually watching these games and being forced to hear what other people have to say about him beyond Doc and his teammates: what Tommy has to say about the offense, other commentators, the post game crew, the guys on espn, the tnt crew, etc.  All of them were talking about the flow of the offense today, showing with or without Rondo stats and our team record (completely surprised to see that our record over the past 4 years without rondo is better than it is with, and that was with a significant sample size as well).

I'm hoping Rondo sees all this and comes back as our version of Tony Parker.  A guy who worked on his jump shot, drives to the basket without hesitation, scores when the shot is there, passes when the pass is there, and plays hard all game, every game.  Of course none of this matters if the Celts don't continue to show the offense moves better with the ball moving, and/or if Rondo is just too stubborn to change.

This injury could really be a blessing in disguise.  The season was going nowhere.  Now we get to see what the other players have to give, we can see how our offense runs with a less ball dominating guard who can shoot and wants to get to the line, Danny gets to evaluate the team with and without Rondo and make a long term decision (could Rondo be this generation's Antoine? you love him, but deep down you're thinking you might be better without him), Doc gets to look like a hero for coaching a team without Rondo and them still doing decent, Pierce and KG being the undisputed leaders again, and our season's storyline changing from disappointing to overachieving feelgood story.

Re: Rondo watching games from home...and other silver linings
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:52:15 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
rondo believes he is the best point guard in the game...you think he would listen to commentator's opinions over his own?

but i do agree, rondo is my favorite player and now we can see this team from a different point of view... maybe it was exactly what we needed, a complete change of play style. everything is looking good so far.

rondo is not antoine walker. Rondo is one of the league's elite players and consideration for top point guard in the game. He was rated by ESPN as the 12th best player overall in the league before the season started. thats the difference between rondo and antoine walker.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
A potential positive side effect of Rondo's injury could be that he might be at home actually watching these games and being forced to hear what other people have to say about him beyond Doc and his teammates: what Tommy has to say about the offense, other commentators, the post game crew, the guys on espn, the tnt crew, etc.  All of them were talking about the flow of the offense today, showing with or without Rondo stats and our team record (completely surprised to see that our record over the past 4 years without rondo is better than it is with, and that was with a significant sample size as well).

I'm hoping Rondo sees all this and comes back as our version of Tony Parker.  A guy who worked on his jump shot, drives to the basket without hesitation, scores when the shot is there, passes when the pass is there, and plays hard all game, every game.  Of course none of this matters if the Celts don't continue to show the offense moves better with the ball moving, and/or if Rondo is just too stubborn to change.

This injury could really be a blessing in disguise.  The season was going nowhere.  Now we get to see what the other players have to give, we can see how our offense runs with a less ball dominating guard who can shoot and wants to get to the line, Danny gets to evaluate the team with and without Rondo and make a long term decision (could Rondo be this generation's Antoine? you love him, but deep down you're thinking you might be better without him), Doc gets to look like a hero for coaching a team without Rondo and them still doing decent, Pierce and KG being the undisputed leaders again, and our season's storyline changing from disappointing to overachieving feelgood story.

I love Tony Parker, but defenders still go under picks on him as well.  Also, if you think that Tony Parker plays harder on every play--particularly on the defensive end--than Rondo, I dare say that you haven't watched him play all that much. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:14:22 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
rondo is not antoine walker. Rondo is one of the league's elite players and consideration for top point guard in the game. He was rated by ESPN as the 12th best player overall in the league before the season started. thats the difference between rondo and antoine walker.

Agreed...rondo is a much better player than Antoine, but just like I love Rondo, I really loved Antoine.  But i can't help but have that thought in the back of my mind that Rondo might be a bit like Antoine in that his stats might be a bit fools gold because of how much we let him dominate the ball..  Now Danny gets to see how we play without him, before deciding if he wants to ship him off for this generations Raef Lafrentz and Jiri Welch, or continue to build around him.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:19:05 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
I love Tony Parker, but defenders still go under picks on him as well.  Also, if you think that Tony Parker plays harder on every play--particularly on the defensive end--than Rondo, I dare say that you haven't watched him play all that much.

I'm a Boston born celts fan who has been in the San Antonio/Austin area since 1979 so "I dare say" I know a little about this subject. 

Yes, players choose to go under the screen on Tony, but it is not because they do not respect his shot anymore, it's because Tony's drive is killer, and he goes in with the intent to score or get to the line.  For years, Tony has had one of the top FG% at the rim (including big men).  That is what Rondo is missing.  His shot is already improving, so add that next element, and Rondo can be better than Tony.

And yes, Tony does play much harder than Rondo, even in "meaningless: games...hands down.  Pop would rip him a new one if he didn't.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:21:57 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I'm a Boston born celts fan who has been in the San Antonio/Austin area since 1979 so I know a little about this subject. 

Yes, players choose to go under the screen on Tony, but it is not because they do not respect his shot anymore, it's because Tony's drive is killer, and goes in with the intent to score or get to the line.  For years, Tony has had one of the top FG% at the rim (including big men).  That is what Rondo is missing.  His shot is already improving, so add that next element, and Rondo can be better than Tony.

And, you don't think that one of the main reasons that defenders still go under a Rondo pick is because Rondo's drive is killer?  Of course, it is. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:24:14 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:31:35 AM by quidinqui33 »

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
And, you don't think that one of the main reasons that defenders still go under a Rondo pick is because Rondo's drive is killer?  Of course, it is.

I would say Rondo's drive is good, but not killer.  He still goes in trying to avoid getting fouled and often puts up a crazy shot or passes it even if the lane is wide open.  That is something Tony has mastered and it is a true weapon that teams have to respect even though his shot is much improved.

Now imagine if Rondo coupled a decent shot and a drive with a solid ability to finish or get to the line with his superior passing ability.

I'm not making a direct comparison of Tony to Rondo.  I'm just saying their are elements of the way Tony has worked on this game over the years, that Rondo could do as well.

I just want Rondo to realize his full potential.  If he can, the sky is the limit.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:35:29 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I'm a Boston born celts fan who has been in the San Antonio/Austin area since 1979 so "I dare say" I know a little about this subject. 

Yes, players choose to go under the screen on Tony, but it is not because they do not respect his shot anymore, it's because Tony's drive is killer, and he goes in with the intent to score or get to the line.  For years, Tony has had one of the top FG% at the rim (including big men).  That is what Rondo is missing.  His shot is already improving, so add that next element, and Rondo can be better than Tony.

And yes, Tony does play much harder than Rondo, even in "meaningless: games...hands down.  Pop would rip him a new one if he didn't.  Again, another easy fix for Rondo that could make him a much more impactful player.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you on that.  Rondo's getting an underserved rap for playing "lazy."  I don't buy it.  When I look at other elite players for comparisons on this, I see that everybody has plays that they take off every once in a while.  Tony Parker is no exception. 

Rondo does have more disruptive defensive ability in the backcourt than just about any other player in the league, though.  And, he brings that disruption way more often than he's given credit for. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:58 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I would say Rondo's drive is good, but not killer.  He still goes in trying to avoid getting fouled and often puts up a crazy shot or passes it even if the lane is wide open.  That is something Tony has mastered and it is a true weapon that teams have to respect even though his shot is much improved.

Now imagine if Rondo coupled a decent shot and a drive with a solid ability to finish or get to the line with his superior passing ability.

I'm not making a direct comparison of Tony to Rondo.  I'm just saying their are elements of the way Tony has worked on this game over the years, that Rondo could do as well.

I just want Rondo to realize his full potential.  If he can, the sky is the limit.

In all honesty, and i truly believe this, rondo gets absolutely dick all from the refs. Seriously think if rondo was rose he would average 4 more free throws a game with the way RR attacks the rim. The refs actually really dont like him because of his attitude i feel

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:28:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

In all honesty, and i truly believe this, rondo gets absolutely dick all from the refs. Seriously think if rondo was rose he would average 4 more free throws a game with the way RR attacks the rim. The refs actually really dont like him because of his attitude i feel

Completely agree. He doesnt get that touch fouls unlike the others.

Remember the hit in his face?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm a Boston born celts fan who has been in the San Antonio/Austin area since 1979 so I know a little about this subject. 

Yes, players choose to go under the screen on Tony, but it is not because they do not respect his shot anymore, it's because Tony's drive is killer, and goes in with the intent to score or get to the line.  For years, Tony has had one of the top FG% at the rim (including big men).  That is what Rondo is missing.  His shot is already improving, so add that next element, and Rondo can be better than Tony.

People old enough might remember this, but there were some games in the 80s when teams would give Larry room to shoot because they were more concerned about his passing than his shooting. It wasn't a regular thing but it did happen from time to time.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

People old enough might remember this, but there were some games in the 80s when teams would give Larry room to shoot because they were more concerned about his passing than his shooting. It wasn't a regular thing but it did happen from time to time.

I find it really strange that such an awesome shooter, perhaps the best of our generation, one Rajon Rondo, can't crack 65% from the free throw line.  Maybe he misses them on purpose to bait people into leaving him open?  Genius!

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I find it really strange that such an awesome shooter, perhaps the best of our generation, one Rajon Rondo, can't crack 65% from the free throw line.  Maybe he misses them on purpose to bait people into leaving him open?  Genius!

Why don't you enlighten us with how good of a shooter you think Rondo is, then we'll work away from that and end up with a decent approximation.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I saw 'Silver Linings' in the thread title and was hoping to see Jennifer Lawrence in Yoga Pants...