Author Topic: Rondo watching games from home...and other silver linings  (Read 4468 times)

Re: Rondo watching games from home...and other silver linings
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Or he could mute it.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
And, you don't think that one of the main reasons that defenders still go under a Rondo pick is because Rondo's drive is killer?  Of course, it is.

I would say Rondo's drive is good, but not killer.  He still goes in trying to avoid getting fouled and often puts up a crazy shot or passes it even if the lane is wide open.  That is something Tony has mastered and it is a true weapon that teams have to respect even though his shot is much improved.

Now imagine if Rondo coupled a decent shot and a drive with a solid ability to finish or get to the line with his superior passing ability.

I'm not making a direct comparison of Tony to Rondo.  I'm just saying their are elements of the way Tony has worked on this game over the years, that Rondo could do as well.

I just want Rondo to realize his full potential.  If he can, the sky is the limit.

In all honesty, and i truly believe this, rondo gets absolutely dick all from the refs. Seriously think if rondo was rose he would average 4 more free throws a game with the way RR attacks the rim. The refs actually really dont like him because of his attitude i feel

Completely agree. He doesnt get that touch fouls unlike the others.

Remember the hit in his face?

Which one?  There have been at least two.  One that cost us the finals last year and one against the Hawks where Josh Smith slapped him like he was gone all night and tried showing up with just a 20.

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It's possible that this break could lead to improvements in some areas. He will certainly have plenty of time to practice his free throws. And watching a lot of games rather than playing can change one's perspective on both offense and defense.

But, given how stubborn he is, it does not make much sense to think that his improvement will come because of input he gets from other people. It's more likely that he picks something himself and works on it.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I saw 'Silver Linings' in the thread title and was hoping to see Jennifer Lawrence in Yoga Pants...

Ask and you shall receive...i love the turn that my thread has taken.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I love Tony Parker, but defenders still go under picks on him as well.  Also, if you think that Tony Parker plays harder on every play--particularly on the defensive end--than Rondo, I dare say that you haven't watched him play all that much.

I'm a Boston born celts fan who has been in the San Antonio/Austin area since 1979 so "I dare say" I know a little about this subject. 

Yes, players choose to go under the screen on Tony, but it is not because they do not respect his shot anymore, it's because Tony's drive is killer, and he goes in with the intent to score or get to the line.  For years, Tony has had one of the top FG% at the rim (including big men).  That is what Rondo is missing.  His shot is already improving, so add that next element, and Rondo can be better than Tony.

And yes, Tony does play much harder than Rondo, even in "meaningless: games...hands down.  Pop would rip him a new one if he didn't.

Over the past 5-6 years Parker averages about 65% at the rim, Rondo's at 62%. Not much of a difference. There isn't much of a difference in their long jumpers either. Parker's probably better at it but that's something fairly recent in his career. When Tony was Rondo's age he was a pretty poor jump shooter, to the point where his uncontested jumpers would regularly clang off the side of the rim or even hit the backboard when he didn't appear to be aiming for it.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He has a SICK video room at his house. You gotta see it.

It's awesome.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"