Author Topic: Calderon a possible buyout candidate?  (Read 8885 times)

Re: Calderon a possible buyout candidate?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They play Knight with another PG all the time in Detroit, I don't see why they'd stop now.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
They play Knight with another PG all the time in Detroit, I don't see why they'd stop now.

Knight is the PG. Making Calderon the SG in that lineup sounds like a recipe for disaster on defense, and takes the ball out of his hands on offense.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Knight is the PG. Making Calderon the SG in that lineup sounds like a recipe for disaster on defense, and takes the ball out of his hands on offense.
Stuckey handled the ball an awful lot when they paired up.

I think they'll keep doing that sort of thing.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Well, Stuckey's a 6'5" combo guard who tends to dominate the ball when he's on the floor.

Who do you bench in favor of Stuckey? Calderon or Knight?

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Well, Stuckey's a 6'5" combo guard who tends to dominate the ball when he's on the floor.

Actually I'm pretty sure Stuckey will get benched, or Knight situationally. But by default it'd be Stuckey.

Calderon is a much better option than either of them to run a team's offense. Given Stuckey's outbursts I'd be shocked if his minutes aren't slashed by this.

Of course they could go small with 3 guards some, but I'd think their coach would be smarter than that.

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Actually I'm pretty sure Stuckey will get benched, or Knight situationally. But by default it'd be Stuckey.

Calderon is a much better option than either of them to run a team's offense. Given Stuckey's outbursts I'd be shocked if his minutes aren't slashed by this.

Of course they could go small with 3 guards some, but I'd think their coach would be smarter than that.

I agree. I think Stuckey is gone after this season. I don't think Dumars and the rest of that Pistons front office view him as someone to build around. It's Knight, Drummond, and Monroe.

Calderon is the best PG on their roster, but he's only going to be there for 40 games at the most. I'd rather see Detroit fully commit to Knight at PG this season.

Maybe Calderon will accept a time-share/mentoring role, but I don't see him enjoying that.

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5n5WNmzfOo

;)

Haha love this.

Anyways. I wouldnt see why the Pistons would buy Calderon out. He makes their point guard situation this year better. The Pistons are only 5 games away from the 8 spot in the East. They could actually make some sort of run.

Calderon could run a pretty nice pick and roll game with Drummon and Monroe for the remainder of the season and when his contract comes off the books at seasons end, I read somewhere that they are going to have 33 million in cap for this offseason.

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Who guards the 2?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Who guards the 2?

Calderon. His biggest problem is that he isn't quick enough to guard 1's anyways. He's not really strong enough to guard 2's, but is it really that much of a mismatch (compared to the default)?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Hamed Haddadi goes from Memphis to Toronto in the trade, but league source says he'll likely be waived and bought out.

If is gonna be waived, Cs should get him and waive Collins or Wilcox

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?! I sure wish Ainge doesn't take this direction, cutting out the heart of our big men Defense... Hey, after that why don't we just waive KG and trade Bass for Robert Sacre? SMH...
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 01:03:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Both Calderon and Knight are listed at 6'3", which seems generous to me.

Fast SGs like Monta Ellis should be able to get around either of them, and big SGs like Paul George should be able to outmuscle and/or shoot over them.

That backcourt's defensive deficiencies will probably overtax the Pistons' interior defense.

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Fast SGs like Monta Ellis should be able to get around either of them, and big SGs like Paul George should be able to outmuscle and/or shoot over them.

That backcourt's defensive deficiencies will probably overtax the Pistons' interior defense.
They likely won't start that line up. I'm guessing they keep using Singler in that role.

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hamed Haddadi goes from Memphis to Toronto in the trade, but league source says he'll likely be waived and bought out.

If is gonna be waived, Cs should get him and waive Collins or Wilcox

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?! I sure wish Ainge doesn't take this direction, cutting out the heart of our big men Defense... Hey, after that why don't we just waive KG and trade Bass for Robert Sacre? SMH...

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. You just asked someone if they were out of their mind, then you referred to Collins or Wilcox as 'the heart of our big men defense'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

They likely won't start that line up. I'm guessing they keep using Singler in that role.

They should.

But then that goes back to Calderon and Knight splitting time at the point, since playing them together is a liability.

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Calderon is 31. Detroit is nothing but young guys now. Brandon Wright still needs a lot of game experience. Detroit got worse in this deal overall because they have no one to play the 3. Magette has been out of the rotation all year.

At 31 and expiring Calderon isn't a fit there. Expect him to be bought out. Doubt he comes to Boston though. The KG thing probably hurt his pride.

Look for him to go to Miami. Great great fit there.

What reason would Detroit have for buying him out? They just saved like $15mil, and have been looking for a true PG to compliment work with Knight for 2 years.

They're much better off keeping him, testing a fit as a vet, then reviewing their options with him over the summer.

Blocks the development of Wright. Teams are always willing to cut costs when they're not winning. Also what makes you think Jose wouldn't prefer one? Why finish the year out on a lottery team like Detroit if you could go win in a ring in Miami ?

Nope. He'll play a bit more off-guard with JC on the floor. This will allow them to assess their needs better pre draft / FA.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)