Author Topic: Calderon a possible buyout candidate?  (Read 8889 times)

Re: Calderon a possible buyout candidate?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I could see Detroit buying our Calderon if they didnt see any upside in him remaining in Detroit.

But, I have a different question; if Detroit buys out Calderon, could he resign in Toronto?

He was traded by the raptors to the grizzlies, then by the grizzlies to the pistons.

So if he were bought out, would he be restricted from resigning with Memphis, Toronto, or both under the CBA?

Not surprisingly, Larry Coon has described precisely this scenario:

Interestingly, by the letter of the rule a player could be traded to a third team, waived by the third team, and be eligible to re-sign with his original team before the waiting period expires. However, the league likely would disallow such signing per the general prohibition on circumvention (see question number 103) if this was done in order to circumvent the rule

I could see some legitimate complaint from the Raptors if this was disallowed. The trade from Memphis was a legitimate one, and did not benefit the Raptors in any way. It would be hard to show any kind of evidence that it was done to circumvent the rule.

Useless talk, seeing as Toronto traded Calderon away because they already had Lowry and didn't need Calderon anymore. Signing him again would be rather pointless.

Aside from, as others have stated, that the most recent reports state the organization was divided over Lowry/Calderon, what exactly is 'useful talk'? Seems like most of what we do here is actually useless talk since (and Im assuming here) none of us are Brian Colangelo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Hamed Haddadi goes from Memphis to Toronto in the trade, but league source says he'll likely be waived and bought out.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Jose Calderon could still end up in Boston

Jose Calderon was just traded to the Pistons as part of the 3-team Rudy Gay trade. What's interesting about the trade is that the Pistons didn't want Calderon to be their point guard. They were attracted to his expiring contract and the chance to dump Tayshaun Prince's rich deal for a couple more years. If it hasn't been done already, expect Calderon's agent and Pistons GM Joe Dumars to discuss the possibility of a buyout of the remaining millions in Calderon's contract. There a chance that Dumars will want to hold on to Calderon, but in these types of trades, guys get bought out all the time.

Now if Calderon does in fact get bought out that doesn't mean he's Boston bound. Any team wanting a point guard would go after him. But unless (or until) Dumars says he will not consider buying out Calderon, he'll remain a green target of interest. We'll keep you posted.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/jose_calderon_could_still_end_up_in_boston/12797728

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Hamed Haddadi goes from Memphis to Toronto in the trade, but league source says he'll likely be waived and bought out.

If is gonna be waived, Cs should get him and waive Collins or Wilcox

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Hamed Haddadi is as awful as Mozgov. Which makes him roundly useless (or at least as "useful" as the bottom of the rotation guys we already have on the roster).

Also, waiving people is not necessary, we have 13 players on the roster.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why would we do that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Detroit has desperately been looking for a PG for years now, and they finally have one.  I see no reason for them to buy him out. 

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Detroit has desperately been looking for a PG for years now, and they finally have one.  I see no reason for them to buy him out.
Yep, and as weird as it sounds, Detroit actually thinks it might be able to make a run at the playoffs (5.5 behind Boston).  Sure they got out of Prince's contract, but they did actually want Calderon. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yep, and as weird as it sounds, Detroit actually thinks it might be able to make a run at the playoffs (5.5 behind Boston).  Sure they got out of Prince's contract, but they did actually want Calderon.
Its not weird they traded a top 14 protected pick to the Bobcats. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd rather give it up this year than next. (especially if the protections diminish)

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its not weird they traded a top 14 protected pick to the Bobcats. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd rather give it up this year than next. (especially if the protections diminish)

That, plus they have two of the most promising young big men in the league, and they both would benefit greatly from getting a taste of the playoffs.

I actually think Detroit is a very solid team, and were just missing that floor leader to bring it all together.  Now that they have them, I think they could be a real threat for that 8th seed. 

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

That, plus they have two of the most promising young big men in the league, and they both would benefit greatly from getting a taste of the playoffs.

I actually think Detroit is a very solid team, and were just missing that floor leader to bring it all together.  Now that they have them, I think they could be a real threat for that 8th seed.

Yep. And man are they looking good from a cap perspective. This summer, they could cut Stuckey, amnesty CV (i think?), and have quite a bit of space for signings or trades.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Calderon is 31. Detroit is nothing but young guys now. Brandon Wright still needs a lot of game experience. Detroit got worse in this deal overall because they have no one to play the 3. Magette has been out of the rotation all year.

At 31 and expiring Calderon isn't a fit there. Expect him to be bought out. Doubt he comes to Boston though. The KG thing probably hurt his pride.

Look for him to go to Miami. Great great fit there.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Calderon is 31. Detroit is nothing but young guys now. Brandon Wright still needs a lot of game experience. Detroit got worse in this deal overall because they have no one to play the 3. Magette has been out of the rotation all year.

At 31 and expiring Calderon isn't a fit there. Expect him to be bought out. Doubt he comes to Boston though. The KG thing probably hurt his pride.

What reason would Detroit have for buying him out? They just saved like $15mil, and have been looking for a true PG to compliment work with Knight for 2 years.

They're much better off keeping him, testing a fit as a vet, then reviewing their options with him over the summer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

What reason would Detroit have for buying him out? They just saved like $15mil, and have been looking for a true PG to compliment work with Knight for 2 years.

They're much better off keeping him, testing a fit as a vet, then reviewing their options with him over the summer.

Blocks the development of Wright. Teams are always willing to cut costs when they're not winning. Also what makes you think Jose wouldn't prefer one? Why finish the year out on a lottery team like Detroit if you could go win in a ring in Miami ?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is Detroit really going to go with a Calderon-Knight backcourt, and force one of those two to play out of position? It doesn't make sense to me.

Detroit should just look to flip or buy out Calderon. He doesn't fit the roster in the short term, and he can only complicate the development of Knight as the Pistons PG of the future.

Two trade ideas for Detroit: to Dallas for Kaman, or to Utah for Mo Williams. Both those deals save a little money this season, and have no future cap implications. Perhaps Detroit could wrangle some additional sweetener out of the deal in the form of cash or a 2nd rounder. And then flip either Kaman or Williams for another, cheaper expiring contract.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:11:41 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague