Author Topic: Calderon a possible buyout candidate?  (Read 8888 times)

Calderon a possible buyout candidate?
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Do you see Detroit buying out Calderon? I wonder if he would like playing in green. Would be a nice addition for the vet min.

Re: Calderon a possible buyout candidate?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Do you see Detroit buying out Calderon? I wonder if he would like playing in green. Would be a nice addition for the vet min.

Why in the world would they do that? Any reasoning or just because you think it'd be good for us?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I could see Detroit buying our Calderon if they didnt see any upside in him remaining in Detroit.

But, I have a different question; if Detroit buys out Calderon, could he resign in Toronto?

He was traded by the raptors to the grizzlies, then by the grizzlies to the pistons.

So if he were bought out, would he be restricted from resigning with Memphis, Toronto, or both under the CBA?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Maybe they want to save some cash. I don't see Calderon being in their plans for the future. Seems like filler for cap space.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I could see Detroit buying our Calderon if they didnt see any upside in him remaining in Detroit.

But, I have a different question; if Detroit buys out Calderon, could he resign in Toronto?

He was traded by the raptors to the grizzlies, then by the grizzlies to the pistons.

So if he were bought out, would he be restricted from resigning with Memphis, Toronto, or both under the CBA?

Not surprisingly, Larry Coon has described precisely this scenario:

Interestingly, by the letter of the rule a player could be traded to a third team, waived by the third team, and be eligible to re-sign with his original team before the waiting period expires. However, the league likely would disallow such signing per the general prohibition on circumvention (see question number 103) if this was done in order to circumvent the rule

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Interestingly, by the letter of the rule a player could be traded to a third team, waived by the third team, and be eligible to re-sign with his original team before the waiting period expires. However, the league likely would disallow such signing per the general prohibition on circumvention (see question number 103) if this was done in order to circumvent the rule

I could see some legitimate complaint from the Raptors if this was disallowed. The trade from Memphis was a legitimate one, and did not benefit the Raptors in any way. It would be hard to show any kind of evidence that it was done to circumvent the rule.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I could see some legitimate complaint from the Raptors if this was disallowed. The trade from Memphis was a legitimate one, and did not benefit the Raptors in any way. It would be hard to show any kind of evidence that it was done to circumvent the rule.

Useless talk, seeing as Toronto traded Calderon away because they already had Lowry and didn't need Calderon anymore. Signing him again would be rather pointless.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I don't think Toronto can pick him right back up after a trade. I think its one of the new rules, keeping teams from trading, getting good players for their good players and then just resigning them a week later after the team buys them out.

Could be wrong, but Im pretty sure.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Useless talk, seeing as Toronto traded Calderon away because they already had Lowry and didn't need Calderon anymore. Signing him again would be rather pointless.

I think they'd take him back if all it cost was a contract.  They reportedly like him better than Lowry.

They made the trade to get Gay, not to get away from Calderon.  That said, I'm sure there are better options for Calderon than to go back to Toronto.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I think they'd take him back if all it cost was a contract.  They reportedly like him better than Lowry.

They made the trade to get Gay, not to get away from Calderon.  That said, I'm sure there are better options for Calderon than to go back to Toronto.

I've read multiple reports saying the Raptors organization prefers Lowry over Calderon.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've read multiple reports saying the Raptors organization prefers Lowry over Calderon.

I think I've read reports that the front office was split over who they preferred.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ken Berger recently reported the opposite:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/21614044/postups-whether-dealing-gasol-howard-or-standing-pat-lakers-in-bind

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't think Toronto can pick him right back up after a trade. I think its one of the new rules, keeping teams from trading, getting good players for their good players and then just resigning them a week later after the team buys them out.

Could be wrong, but Im pretty sure.

The rule, as I understand it (and backed by the Coons quote from Roy above) is that it only limits the most recent team to trade away the player. Since the trade went Calderon to Memphis, then Memphis to Detroit, techinically I believe Toronto could pick him up after the buyout.

This is of course assuming the NBA doesn't just veto the whole thing.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
this is from HoopsHype:

Keith Langlois ‏@Keith_Langlois

PIstons came close on Calderon on draft day 2011. Toronto pulled out when Valanciunas fell to them. They obviously like his PG skills.

looks like they like him, and will probably keep him.