Author Topic: Trading for Nerlens Noel  (Read 5427 times)

Trading for Nerlens Noel
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Have any of you guys watched this guy play? 7'4 Wingspan great athleticism and size as a Center. Potential to be as good as Anthony Davis and is projected to go 4th right now to Phoenix in the draft. Now that got me thinking...Phoenix is in the market for a PG and would probably do a swap of their 4th pick for Rondo.

Noel is a huge Celtics fan and is from Everett MA. If we're going to start rebuilding I think that is the way.

Re: Trading for Nerlens Noel
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Would love to have the hometown kid, but we have nothing to offer that would get us in the top 5 to draft him.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Two problems:

1) There's no feasible way for us to do this. I wouldn't be so sure that Noel would be there at 4, and I don't think we have the assets to move to that 4th spot anyway.

2) Building around Noel is risky business. He has great potential, but is too raw offensively for the SEC, let alone the NBA. Sure, he'd be a great player to draft, and has the chance to be something special, but giving up Rondo + whatever else it would take to somehow get him in Boston has a very high chance of getting someone fired.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
We'll see. Maybe in a few years.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:22:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nerlens Noel might not ever be that much better than what Larry Sanders is right now. 

Which obviously isn't bad.  But it kind of tells you how weak this draft is.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I dont think we have anything of value to get to top 5, let alone top 3.

And I like Nerlens Noel, but IMO if we;re going to trade up for another big man, we trade up for the Maryland dude Alex Len. He's not as explosive, but he has similar defensive instincts. He's longer too. He is super raw like Fab though, but hey there's a ton of potential and a bit more size in there.

Speaking of draft picks, we might be in range to get Archie Gooodwin (if he leaves). This dude can get to the rim, man. He's still a work in progress but the potential is oozing. Decent shooting, which he can improve. Still needs to work on defense but not for lack of effort and he also has the tools.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The only asset worth a top lottery pick the C's had was Rondo, so now with his ACL tear it isn't happening.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Love Nerlens but in all honesty, he needs at least another year in the NCAA to get stronger and develop his offensive game.

He won't do that though. He's coming out.

Expect a very Marcus Camby like career from Nerlens. Lots of blocks, lots of rebounds, mediocre offense at best, possible multi-time DPOY as he will gobble up the steals guarding the perimeter at the next level. People just don't realize how good his hand eye coordination is and how fast and efficient he is at getting his hands on balls when the opposing player is dribbling.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why is Phoenix in the market for a point guard? They have a starting Point guard... Plus we have no idea where the Suns pick would be.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Love Nerlens but in all honesty, he needs at least another year in the NCAA to get stronger and develop his offensive game.

He won't do that though. He's coming out.

Expect a very Marcus Camby like career from Nerlens. Lots of blocks, lots of rebounds, mediocre offense at best, possible multi-time DPOY as he will gobble up the steals guarding the perimeter at the next level. People just don't realize how good his hand eye coordination is and how fast and efficient he is at getting his hands on balls when the opposing player is dribbling.

I thought Noel had Javale McGee written all over him, but I think you're right and like the Marcus Camby comparison more.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
would love to see this kid a celtic. He would fit perfectly next to sully ( similare to a boozer/Noah pairing) and both he and Avery could develop into first team all defencive players.

The problem is getting into the top 3 to draft him. The best bet is somthing with the Bobcats. Their scouts are telling them to trade out of this draft and they tryed to use their pick last year to move Tyrus Thomas's contract. The problem is I dont see the Cs as a good trading partner.

I really don't like the idea of trading Rondo however if last games playing trend continues I might think about the following.

this works

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a23z244

Celtics  get Sessions, Thomas, 2013 unprotected, future protected 1st

Bobcats get Rondo, Bass, 2013 1st
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:30 PM »

Offline ummidkme

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
would love to see this kid a celtic. He would fit perfectly next to sully ( similare to a boozer/Noah pairing) and both he and Avery could develop into first team all defencive players.

The problem is getting into the top 3 to draft him. The best bet is somthing with the Bobcats. Their scouts are telling them to trade out of this draft and they tryed to use their pick last year to move Tyrus Thomas's contract. The problem is I dont see the Cs as a good trading partner.

I really don't like the idea of trading Rondo however if last games playing trend continues I might think about the following.

this works

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a23z244

Celtics  get Sessions, Thomas, 2013 unprotected, future protected 1st

Bobcats get Rondo, Bass, 2013 1st

Putting Rondo on the Bobcats is just cruel. 

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
If we're trading for Noel, anybody know what he's getting salary-wise at Kentucky?  We have to be within 125% of that.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
If we're trading for Noel, anybody know what he's getting salary-wise at Kentucky?  We have to be within 125% of that.

HA!!!