Author Topic: SI's Ian Thomsen: "probably wont see a worthwhile deal for Pierce." Tank.  (Read 7946 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So I listened to Boston Celtics Basketball Podcast a while ago, and they have Ian Thomsen from SI as a guest.

(I downloaded the Boston Celtics Podcast, it's there if you guys want to listen)

He explained that there might not be a deal that would bring a worthwhile value for Paul Pierce and he thinks the C's are better off having the guys that we have right now to play more and learn whatever they can from KG and Paul and give it another go next year.

With this I revisit my brother's tanking idea which I posted a day ago. I understand that it's a very disgusting way to end the season, but the more I think about it, and with Thomsen's take on as to what we can get for Pierce, it's starting to make sense to me.

We have players that are under contract for 2-3 years. We also have some young guys in Bradley, Sully and Fab Melo to some extent. I pose the scenario, what if we somehow do what the Warriors did?

DA talks to Doc, KG, Pierce. Tells them "we will give it one FINAL run next year when Rajon is healthy, but for this season I think we should let the others play more minutes for reasons being:

a.) save up KG and Paul for next year.
b.) get the young guys to get more of a burn, see what they really have when they play significant chunk of minutes.
c.) a risk/reward of increasing or decreasing trade value of the other guys who can be assets for the next year.
d.) more importantly, get a lottery pick."

Again, I understand some of you guys might think tanking is unacceptable, I do so as well. But with what Thomsen said about the value of Paul in the market, and what he means to the franchise, why bother trading Pierce if we're not going to get anything significant that would either help us now, or the next year, seems like this idea makes sense for us.

It goes against every basketball fiber of mine that a team should tank, I think tanking is dirty tactic. But now, I'm not sure. The Warriors seemed to have things worked out when Steph went out for almost a year in getting Barnes and not and keeping the core together, it could probably work for us. But it's tanking, it feels dirty...

Please help me?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
This year draft class is not that good..usually theres a clear #1 pick but not this year. If I was a lottery team, i would trade my pick for a proven player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Frankly, I doubt "tanking" this year would help much for a number of reasons. However, I do agree with the rest of what you wrote. Let's play out the year, give the younger/newer players lots of experience so Danny can evaluate them, build them as players and/or assets, bring back KG and Paul with a healthy Rondo, add a center for the MLE (if possible), and make a run for it all next year.

It is possible that we might do better this year than a lot of people think. Yes, I know the odds of winning it all are very, very, slim, but a few lucky breaks and you never know!

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This team has already won too much to start tanking now. 

Their odds in the lottery would be pretty bad.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Thats actually true, but we can still use that mid round pick as a trade asset. Its still better than a late first.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

agreed. at this point in time i have given up on us getting a nice winning record and a top 4 spot in the playoffs. Now, let's examine what is achievable realistically.

Let's have some pride. IMO no team should be allowed to make the playoffs with a losing record. So if we finish just 1 game above .500 that gives us a winning record. At this point in time if all we can get is the 8th seed, I will take it. not happy but i will take it as long as we are over .500. see what happens in the playoffs then see where to go. I still think we need a trade/or sign for a big this year though and maybe a back up PG.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Thats actually true, but we can still use that mid round pick as a trade asset. Its still better than a late first.

I asked this question before, and no one responded:

What is the difference between the #11 pick in this year's draft (late lottery finish) and the #16 pick (making the playoffs as an 8 seed)?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Yeah we're in the worst spot to be as a pro sports franchise. Not good enough to seriously contend, not bad enough to get good draft picks. We're mediocre. Since we still have two HOFers with pride just look forward to first round exit and hopefully some experience for the young guys. I'd like to see Melo brought up for the playoffs..

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

What is the difference between the #11 pick in this year's draft (late lottery finish) and the #16 pick (making the playoffs as an 8 seed)?
Its not a question that lends itself to a quick response.

The biggest difference is the chance that you can vault into the top 3 picks, as has happened and changed the course of franchises before. (See the Bulls, etc..)

Beyond that the value of the pick goes down the lower it gets, but it varies from year to year and its not a huge drop off.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

There are still a significant difference. The talent and potential from the #11 pick is still better than the #16th. It's a much more tradeable asset. I think.

We're looking at Archie Goodwin, Isaiah Austin, Mason Plumlee, Alex Poythress (depends on what mock draft you go anyways) and maybe some top 10 talent that may drop off. Those are being considered at worse, NBA contributors to any NBA team. Goodwin's and Austin's potential is well documented by draft experts around the nation, they can be big time assets.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:29:20 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »

Re: SI's Ian Thomsen: "probably wont see a worthwhile deal for Pierce." Tank.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't get the point of tanking post-Rondo.  Were the Celtics legitimate championship contenders before his injury?  As much as I thought they could turn it around, I wouldn't have put any real money on it.  So what's changed?  They've lost the maestro of the 28th offense in the league; at the same time, their defense should improve.  As far as I'm concerned, their chances of winning games have not gone down.  If KG went down, that would be something completely different.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
BAD idea.

I hate the idea of a team "tanking"

And why should the Celtics tank? This Rondo stuff is getting out of control

Nothing against the OP, just all this talk about how the team is neutered without Rondo is irritating.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Eh Im going with Dono on this one. Why tank at this point? Id rather have a playoff run and a late round pick than a mid round pick in a weak draft. Especially with KG and Pierce on the team. They are still built for the playoffs. Lets not screw that up by tanking to get into the lottery.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Eh Im going with Dono on this one. Why tank at this point? Id rather have a playoff run and a late round pick than a mid round pick in a weak draft. Especially with KG and Pierce on the team. They are still built for the playoffs. Lets not screw that up by tanking to get into the lottery.

Count me in! A playoff run is alot more fun than tanking for what I hear is a horrible draft class next year

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Especailly ours. We can't get the #1 or #2 when we have the best odds.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird