Author Topic: I feel for Memphis fans and players  (Read 5943 times)

Re: I feel for Memphis fans and players
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Who knows how much sway Hollinger actually has, but I guarantee he's telling everyone who'll listen that paying ~$54 million for the next 3 years to a guy with a below-average PER is not a good strategy. 

And honestly, the Grizzlies had the most success in franchise history when Gay was out with an injury, so I don't feel too bad for them.  Losing all those role players might be a bigger blow than trading Gay.

Agreed.  They looked at their best with Battier at SF.  Conley / Allen / Randolph / Gasol is good enough to be competitive.  They just need a fairly deep cast of role players to back them up, something they don't have right now.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The thing about blowing up the Grizz is that this is something that has been assumed would happen since they signed their 3 stars.  It was assumed that their market couldn't handle the three max or close to max contracts for an extended period, and most of the analysts assumed that they just signed them all to maintain their value, but then eventually trade one or two of them.

So, I am not sure this is really a change in philosophy, I just think the pressure is on now that the new luxury tax is kicking in, and they need to finally pull the trigger. 

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The thing about blowing up the Grizz is that this is something that has been assumed would happen since they signed their 3 stars.  It was assumed that their market couldn't handle the three max or close to max contracts for an extended period, and most of the analysts assumed that they just signed them all to maintain their value, but then eventually trade one or two of them.

So, I am not sure this is really a change in philosophy, I just think the pressure is on now that the new luxury tax is kicking in, and they need to finally pull the trigger.

That's a solid point.  Z-Bo wasn't meant to be a fixture for them.  They got him for very little from the Clippers and it just happened that he really worked out for them.  But I don't think they expected to pay him long term. 

This trend also started before the new ownership group -- they were trying to trade O.J. Mayo for a couple years because they didn't want to have to pay him as well as Rudy Gay.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I feel for Kings fans
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Who knows how much sway Hollinger actually has, but I guarantee he's telling everyone who'll listen that paying ~$54 million for the next 3 years to a guy with a below-average PER is not a good strategy. 

And honestly, the Grizzlies had the most success in franchise history when Gay was out with an injury, so I don't feel too bad for them.  Losing all those role players might be a bigger blow than trading Gay.

Agreed.  They looked at their best with Battier at SF.  Conley / Allen / Randolph / Gasol is good enough to be competitive.  They just need a fairly deep cast of role players to back them up, something they don't have right now.

Except battier was a different era altogether for Memphis..oj mayo and tony Allen flourished when gay was out and they made the second round

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

That's a solid point.  Z-Bo wasn't meant to be a fixture for them.  They got him for very little from the Clippers and it just happened that he really worked out for them.  But I don't think they expected to pay him long term. 

I also think they didn't really want to keep Gay from the beginning either (although there were rumors that their old owner LOVED him).  I think they just realized that he had value, and that they didn't want to lose that value for nothing.  So, basically, they signed him, and have been waiting for the right time to trade him. 

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Except battier was a different era altogether for Memphis..oj mayo and tony Allen flourished when gay was out and they made the second round
The team flourished, Mayo not at all. He continued to shoot at 40% and get just 22 MPG like he had since Tony supplanted him in the rotation.

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I live in TN and know all about the Grizzlies.

I guarantee you they would take Green and Bass for Gay if Ainge could find a 3rd team to absorb Bass's contract with expiring players for their 2nd unit.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I guarantee you they would take Green and Bass for Gay if Ainge could find a 3rd team to absorb Bass's contract with expiring players for their 2nd unit.

Meh, I wouldn't do it.

17 mil and 19.5 mil for Rudy Gay is just way too much.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Meh, I wouldn't do it.

That is what Memphis is saying.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Hollinger has a Jeff Green voodoo doll that he stabs every night before he goes to bed.

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I live in Boston, and I know all about the Celtics.  I don't guarantee you anything about what Danny would do. 

No offense, and I am sure you are more connected to the Grizz than most people on here.  But I think its going a bit far to suggest that you know whether or not they would accept a deal.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

I also think they didn't really want to keep Gay from the beginning either (although there were rumors that their old owner LOVED him).  I think they just realized that he had value, and that they didn't want to lose that value for nothing.  So, basically, they signed him, and have been waiting for the right time to trade him.

I don't think Colangelo re-signed guys like Bargnani, Calderon and Derozon to long, big money contracts with future trades in mind but I think he had the same mentality that Heisley did when he re-signed Gay: not being able to let go, seeing more positives than negatives, wanting to let things develop more and so on and so on.  It's kind of fitting that he's pursuing Gay now.  When Gay got a max deal, I think it surprised almost everyone.  Colangelo might have been the only other person who would've given Gay a max deal too.  They deserve each other in a way.   

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Meh, I wouldn't do it.

Not for Toronto it isn't.