Author Topic: I feel for Memphis fans and players  (Read 5948 times)

Re: I feel for Memphis fans and players
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Everyone thought Gay would get a max contract offer as a RFA. What surprised people is that the Grizzlies didn't let him get that offer and just match it, instead they offered the max themselves.

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Fans' worst nightmare are cheap owners.

I'd understand if the team is losing money. And I know Memphis is a small market, but I doubt they are losing money.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I feel for Kings fans

Indeed.

Very good point. More so than Memphis fans.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Who knows how much sway Hollinger actually has, but I guarantee he's telling everyone who'll listen that paying ~$54 million for the next 3 years to a guy with a below-average PER is not a good strategy. 

And honestly, the Grizzlies had the most success in franchise history when Gay was out with an injury, so I don't feel too bad for them.  Losing all those role players might be a bigger blow than trading Gay.

Agreed.  They looked at their best with Battier at SF.  Conley / Allen / Randolph / Gasol is good enough to be competitive.  They just need a fairly deep cast of role players to back them up, something they don't have right now.

Except battier was a different era altogether for Memphis..oj mayo and tony Allen flourished when gay was out and they made the second round
The team flourished, Mayo not at all. He continued to shoot at 40% and get just 22 MPG like he had since Tony supplanted him in the rotation.

You're right about that...I'm just trying to remember who started at sf...I think maybe Sam young

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Fans' worst nightmare are cheap owners.

I'd understand if the team is losing money. And I know Memphis is a small market, but I doubt they are losing money.

Not yet. 

But when the new cap penalties start working in, well, even the Lakers are talking about cutting payroll.

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
I feel for Rudy Gay if he gets traded to Toronto. Toronto may be a great place to live, and it may have financial advantages for a person earning a salary there,  but it just seems like a player is being exiled when he is sent there.

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Everyone thought Gay would get a max contract offer as a RFA. What surprised people is that the Grizzlies didn't let him get that offer and just match it, instead they offered the max themselves.

Really, everyone?  I think there was shock that Gay got such a big deal.  Part of that was the shock of Heisley opening his checkbook but Gay becoming a max player also played a part.  Really, I have zero connections and am just guessing but I have a hard time believing that everyone thought Gay was worth a max deal or would get one.

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I live in TN and know all about the Grizzlies.

I guarantee youIMO, after reading local news (everyday) and listening to talk radio (with Grizzly insiders) they would take Green and Bass for Gay if Ainge could find a 3rd team to absorb Bass's contract with expiring players for their 2nd unit.

I live in Boston, and I know all about the Celtics.  I don't guarantee you anything about what Danny would do. 

No offense, and I am sure you are more connected to the Grizz than most people on here.  But I think its going a bit far to suggest that you know whether or not they would accept a deal.

Let me fix it for you. ::)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Really, everyone?  I think there was shock that Gay got such a big deal.  Part of that was the shock of Heisley opening his checkbook but Gay becoming a max player also played a part.  Really, I have zero connections and am just guessing but I have a hard time believing that everyone thought Gay was worth a max deal or would get one.

Its funny how there are so many players that get max deals when they dont deserve one. And then the guys that deserve max deals take a pay cut to help their teams more.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

A max deal from your own team is a bigger deal (longer term) than one you can get in FA. So yes people were shocked with the deal Memphis gave him. But it was expected he'd get offered the max for a RFA and that Memphis would match.

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I guarantee youIMO, after reading local news (everyday) and listening to talk radio (with Grizzly insiders) they would take Green and Bass for Gay if Ainge could find a 3rd team to absorb Bass's contract with expiring players for their 2nd unit.

I live in Boston, and I know all about the Celtics.  I don't guarantee you anything about what Danny would do. 

No offense, and I am sure you are more connected to the Grizz than most people on here.  But I think its going a bit far to suggest that you know whether or not they would accept a deal.

Much better.  Sorry, to pick on you, but its a pet peeve of mine. 

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Much better.  Sorry, to pick on you, but its a pet peeve of mine.

I could tell. LOL! TP
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
But it is the cost in keeping a team in a small market.

It can be this or watch the team leave for another city.

Well, I'd say Memphis isn't really an NBA-worthy city anyway. And with teams in Charlotte, Atlanta, New Orleans, and OKC, the South had enough teams already before the Grizz arrived.

But now I'm getting started on the whole contraction question (not to mention which teams deserve which nicknames)!  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Well, I'd say Memphis isn't really an NBA-worthy city anyway. And with teams in Charlotte, Atlanta, New Orleans, and OKC, the South had enough teams already before the Grizz arrived.

But now I'm getting started on the whole contraction question (not to mention which teams deserve which nicknames)!  ;D

I agree. It's pretty easy to get a $5 ticket to a Grizzlies game. You just got to by a monthly nose bleed pack.

The main problem is Memphis is they are in a central time zone and play alot of west coast games. They start playing when many people are going to bed.

They should add another western team (Seattle) and move Memphis to the East.

Larry Bird

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I agree. It's pretty easy to get a $5 ticket to a Grizzlies game. You just got to by a monthly nose bleed pack.

The main problem is Memphis is they are in a central time zone and play alot of west coast games. They start playing when many people are going to bed.

They should add another western team (Seattle) and move Memphis to the East.

Alright, you opened the door!  ;D ...

Eliminate Toronto, Charlotte, Memphis, and Milwaukee.

Move New Orleans or Minnesota to the East to rebalance the conferences.

Return "Jazz" to New Orleans, give "Grizzlies" to Utah, and change Washington back to "Bullets."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis