Author Topic: Wojo: Memphis looking for a third team to take Jose Calderon's contract...  (Read 6790 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Is Ross really in the mix? I thought Toronto was balking at the thought of including him in offers.

Also, I think taking on a net additional $2 mil puts Boston over the apron, and complicates the Terry deal. They'd need to include some additional salary, perhaps two of the Collins/Barbosa/Wilcox group, or maybe Melo, to get back under that threshold.

If Boston could turn Bass and Terry into Calderon, though, I think that'd be a good move.

I'm pretty sure the trade machine takes into account the hardcap apron.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is Ross really in the mix? I thought Toronto was balking at the thought of including him in offers.

Also, I think taking on a net additional $2 mil puts Boston over the apron, and complicates the Terry deal. They'd need to include some additional salary, perhaps two of the Collins/Barbosa/Wilcox group, or maybe Melo, to get back under that threshold.

If Boston could turn Bass and Terry into Calderon, though, I think that'd be a good move.

If it's OK with an extra $2 mil in incoming salaries, then it's not factoring in the apron. Celtics are within a million dollars of the apron, I believe.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

If it's OK with an extra $2 mil in incoming salaries, then it's not factoring in the apron. Celtics are within a million dollars of the apron, I believe.

I believe we have $2.7 mil of room under the apron.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cleveland could work as they have like 10.2 million in cap space.  They would just need some incentive (like a draft pick or two from Toronto). 

This for example

TOR - Gay, Selby (or Livingston on Feb 15th)
CLE - Calderon, TOR 1st
MEM - Davis, Ross

Other players added as needed, but that works financially for all teams (maybe Casspi to Memphis).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I could totally seeing Danny try to work this angle. Like I posted in another thread. I would absolutely hate it. But, Danny gets 10 mil off the books from the Calderon contract. And Three years of Bargs rather than Bass.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b49urh9

Next year we start out with

Rondo/Terry
Bradley/Lee
Green
Bargs/Sully
KG

Fill in the back up Center and PF slots through the cap we save with Calderon. Again, dont like it, could easily see Danny swinging it.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Contrary to something I said about Bargnani yesterday, I don't think this scenario is that far fetched, but only if Toronto gives up a very good asset to the Celtics.

1) No chance the Raps are landing Gay AND getting rid of Bargs in the same deal without giving up more than Davis (even if they take Bass).

2) The Celtics are not giving up Pierce to take Bargs off Toronto's hands unless Ross or more is in the balance.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I believe we have $2.7 mil of room under the apron.

Hmmm. Now I'm not sure if it's total salary, or taxable salary, that factors into the discussion of the apron.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AodNvAy3ZYZmdGE3NDBqMElRUXh2REN4Q3pZRG1TU1E&gid=4

The apron is $4 million above the tax threshold, which is at $70.3 million this season.

Boston has just over $73 million in committed salaries, but only $71.5 million in terms of taxable salaries.

So, it's either just under $1 million in apron room, or about $2.5 million.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
In regards to the apron. We have to have 13 players on the roster right? So wouldn't we need enough money under the apron to sign as many vet. min guys as possible to get to 13?

Thus if we did a deal we really can't send out more players then we bring back and have more money coming back then going out at the same time can we?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ao28dtl

Bos: Calderon + Gray

Mem: Ross + Terry + A. Johnson

Tor: Gay + Bass

Memphis sends out 16 mil and gets back 13.  That saves them 3 mil this year and even more in the future (since Gay's deal goes as high as 19.5 mil).

Memphis also gets a solid wing prospect (at the 2 or 3) in Ross, a veteran bench shooter in Terry (something they really need), and a solid young rebounding / shot-blocking big who's reasonably paid (another need).

Bos sends out 11 mil and gets back just over 13 -- both expiring deals.

Bos gets a point guard and a somewhat serviceable backup center while also getting out of some long term money and not giving up future assets.

Tor sends out 21.5 mil and gets back 22.5 mil.

I don't think that gives Memphis enough savings. The guys they get back are all on three year deals, just like Gay.
Why would Memphis do the above deal, and not just Gay for Calderon straight up?

Because Memphis isn't looking to outright tank this season, I don't think.

I would imagine they still want to compete.  Hence the allure of getting 3 valuable players including a rookie who could develop into a very solid starter.

Also, I'd point again to the fact that Gay's deal isn't just the 16 mil he's making this season.  It increases substantially in each of the next two seasons.  So the savings increase over time even though they're taking on 3 year deals. 

Yes, but Johnson, Ross and Terry's salaries also increase in the next two seasons, and moreover, from shamsports, I understand that Johnson and Terry have trade kickers in their contracts.

I think for such a deal to happen, Memphis would really have to like Ross. I don't view Terry or Johnson as having all that much value.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ross and derozen are near untouchables. Even for gay they won't include either. I don't want Calderon. He will be an even more liability on defense than rondo. Barb is not a pure pg, but will do fine as a backup on both ends of the court

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
The keyword in the report is "absorb" not, "trade for", they're looking for a team that can take on Calderon's deal preferably for draft assets, and not have to kick back money.

Neither Toronto or Memphis has interest in taking in more money, they need someone to take on Calderon's deal so that they're sending enough salary out to fit Rudy in under their cap and make the trade legal.

Bottom line is the Celtics can't get involved here, because they'd have to send out equal salary, and neither team has any interest in that salary.

For Boston to get involved, you'd need a 4th team with open space that wants some of (10.5million worth to be exact) boston's players, and has the cap space to take them.

I don't think there are any teams out there with cap space who are just absolutely dieing to get ahold of Jeff Green or Brandon bass in order to facilitate this.