Author Topic: Wojo: Memphis looking for a third team to take Jose Calderon's contract...  (Read 6789 times)

Offline masteremile123

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/news/article?urn=4abf8c30-62b9-3baa-bf8c-aefff812987f&.ts=1359550209&.intl=US&.lang=en&.ysid=9Do179wByNkWnw2Hng_aCgpD

The Grizzlies have inquired with multiple teams over the past several days, searching for a willing partner to facilitate a three-team deal, sources said.
The final hurdle for the salary dump of Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay to the Toronto Raptors hinges on finding a third team to absorb the expiring contract of Raptors guard Jose Calderon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Calderon has a $10.5 million expiring contract.

So ? Any interest in him ? They look desparate as a lot of teams already have good point guard or are rebuilding and don't want anything to do with the story...

Ps: I don't know if this has mentioned , didn't find anything on the forums !

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No cap space to absorb that contract (since it reads as if the main reason for this third team is to not have that large of a contract on the books)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Nope.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Calderon would be a nice stopgap for us, but we would have to hand the Raptors 10 million in contracts right back.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No cap space to absorb that contract (since it reads as if the main reason for this third team is to not have that large of a contract on the books)
true, but you could send a smaller contract back.  I just don't think Memphis would want Boston's crap (Green, Bass, Lee, Terry).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
true, but you could send a smaller contract back.  I just don't think Memphis would want Boston's crap (Green, Bass, Lee, Terry).

Memphis doesn't want a bunch of little contracts.  They want someone with Cap space to absorb more of that contract.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ao28dtl

Bos: Calderon + Gray

Mem: Ross + Terry + A. Johnson

Tor: Gay + Bass

Memphis sends out 16 mil and gets back 13.  That saves them 3 mil this year and even more in the future (since Gay's deal goes as high as 19.5 mil).

Memphis also gets a solid wing prospect (at the 2 or 3) in Ross, a veteran bench shooter in Terry (something they really need), and a solid young rebounding / shot-blocking big who's reasonably paid (another need).

Bos sends out 11 mil and gets back just over 13 -- both expiring deals.

Bos gets a point guard and a somewhat serviceable backup center while also getting out of some long term money and not giving up future assets.

Tor sends out 21.5 mil and gets back 22.5 mil. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I was looking at this earlier and mentioned it in another thread...

Bass & Terry or Lee

For

Calderón & Ed Davis

Works in trade machine.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I was looking at this earlier and mentioned it in another thread...

Bass & Terry or Lee

For

Calderón & Ed Davis

Works in trade machine.

Ed Davis is way, way too good for Toronto to give up for that.

I imagine Toronto wants to pair Davis with Valanciunas moving forward.  That's a nice combination.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

Memphis sends out 16 mil and gets back 13.  That saves them 3 mil this year and even more in the future (since Gay's deal goes as high as 19.5 mil).

Memphis also gets a solid wing prospect (at the 2 or 3) in Ross, a veteran bench shooter in Terry (something they really need), and a solid young rebounding / shot-blocking big who's reasonably paid (another need).

Bos gets a point guard and a somewhat serviceable backup center while also getting out of some long term money and not giving up future assets.

This idea makes sense to me from all angles, well done. I'm sure Toronto would like to hold on to Ross but its worth it for Gay. I have liked your past few ideas, we are on the same page: priority #1 for this team is getting rid of Bass and Terry's contracts for expiring if you can. Not to mention Calderon and Gray might be just as good as those two this year.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Calderon is not better than Barbosa. No need really. From Raptors players, that can be a godd fit for Cs, is only Johnson or maybe Grey

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I don't think that gives Memphis enough savings. The guys they get back are all on three year deals, just like Gay.
Why would Memphis do the above deal, and not just Gay for Calderon straight up?
Celtics fan for life.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Calderon is not better than Barbosa. No need really. From Raptors players, that can be a godd fit for Cs, is only Johnson or maybe Grey

I disagree with this strongly.  Calderon is a great shooter, but he's also a very good passer and overall floor general.

Calderon could keep our offense running at a high level, and if you play him exclusively next to Lee or Bradley his defensive shortcomings won't hurt you too badly.

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if our offense is significantly more potent with Calderon running the show in place of Rondo just because of his floor spacing.  The defense is a big minus, though, but hey, he's available for a reason.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't think that gives Memphis enough savings. The guys they get back are all on three year deals, just like Gay.
Why would Memphis do the above deal, and not just Gay for Calderon straight up?

Because Memphis isn't looking to outright tank this season, I don't think.

I would imagine they still want to compete.  Hence the allure of getting 3 valuable players including a rookie who could develop into a very solid starter.

Also, I'd point again to the fact that Gay's deal isn't just the 16 mil he's making this season.  It increases substantially in each of the next two seasons.  So the savings increase over time even though they're taking on 3 year deals.  From what I understand, Memphis isn't just slashing and burning salary at all (on court) costs.  Rather, they want to make sure they stay under the luxury tax.  Dealing Gay for a handful of cheaper deals that won't ramp up in cost over the next 2-3 years accomplishes that.

Moreover, the smaller a deal is, the easier it is to move.  Nothing stopping Memphis from going ahead and trading away Amir Johnson year or the year after that.  Terry perhaps will be harder to move until the last year of his deal.  But I think other teams are probably aware of the fact that part of the reason Terry has struggled this season is team fit. 

I don't think other teams are quite as down on Terry's value as people here in Boston are.  Similar to the way Jamal Crawford still drew a lot of interest this summer even though he had an awful season in Portland last year.

Point being, Terry could easily recoup some of his value if he has a good playoff run this season, making him even easier to trade in the off-season or next year if they want to cut salary further.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:43:41 AM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is Ross really in the mix? I thought Toronto was balking at the thought of including him in offers.

Also, I think taking on a net additional $2 mil puts Boston over the apron, and complicates the Terry deal. They'd need to include some additional salary, perhaps two of the Collins/Barbosa/Wilcox group, or maybe Melo, to get back under that threshold.

If Boston could turn Bass and Terry into Calderon, though, I think that'd be a good move.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague