Author Topic: Good Grantland article on NBA shooting spots and most/least effective shooters  (Read 5970 times)

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/49142/courtvision-the-best-shooters-so-far

Bad news for the rest of the NBA.  LeBron is the best finisher in the league, Catfish Bosh is one of the best two mid-range shooters, and Benedict Allen is the best corner three shooter, at an incredible 60%. 

The league-wide percentages show that the mid-range shot is for suckers in today's NBA.  Take it to the hoop or jack up a three.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0129/grantland_kg_nba_fgp_1152.jpg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:00:22 AM by TripleOT »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Yep. Good read
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Thanks to the dude in the comments on that article too.  I hated how they go "Chandler is 3rd in the league in scoring by the basket, while Lebron is the leader with 72%" and they never said who the second place was.  Turns out it's Tony Parker, who the guy points out is 6'1". 

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
Thanks to the dude in the comments on that article too.  I hated how they go "Chandler is 3rd in the league in scoring by the basket, while Lebron is the leader with 72%" and they never said who the second place was.  Turns out it's Tony Parker, who the guy points out is 6'1".

Parker has always been a great finisher around the rim.  he has the knack of keeping his dribble alive in traffic and then finding open sky to take and make an easy layup.  Before he aged, Steve Nash was also very good at finishing near the rim (69% one year). 

I hoped Rondo could be that kind of finisher, but he tends to take the ball to the hoop frenetically, as opposed to the deliberate, under control probing of a Nash or Parker. 

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What rube wrote that?

"Consider the top five all-time career leaders in FG percentage: Tyson Chandler, Shaq, Artis Gilmore, Mark West, and Dwight Howard. Now these guys are obviously incredible scorers, but are they great shooters?"

I think you could literally spend the rest of your life stopping people and asking them to name some incredible nba scorers without having the same person name Mark West and Tyson Chandler.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Parker has always been a great finisher around the rim.  he has the knack of keeping his dribble alive in traffic and then finding open sky to take and make an easy layup.  Before he aged, Steve Nash was also very good at finishing near the rim (69% one year). 

I hoped Rondo could be that kind of finisher, but he tends to take the ball to the hoop frenetically, as opposed to the deliberate, under control probing of a Nash or Parker.

Parker would be better for our team then Rondo.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Over the last 5 years Parker's finished at the rim at about 65%, Rondo's been at about 62%. Not much of a difference. Nash may be a little higher but he doesn't take very many shots at the rim. You'd have to figure a relatively high percentage of those shots are uncontested from fast breaks.

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
The league-wide percentages show that the mid-range shot is for suckers in today's NBA.  Take it to the hoop or jack up a three.
In general you're correct, but you can't neglect the fact that being a good midrange shooter keeps the threat alive that you may pull up for it; defenders have a harder time guarding someone that can hit those shots rather than someone who HAS to go to the basket.  I'm looking at, among others, Rondo early in his career.

I'm sure you could pull up a statistic in the NFL that says passing is by far a more efficient play (in terms of yards per attempt) than rushing, but if a team NEVER runs, defenses don't have to respect that part of the game.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sick chart great stats. I can't believe the NBA shoots 39% from mid range and 38% from corner three. Thats wild. TP for posting.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Parker would be better for our team then Rondo.

The Rondo who's play can be up and down when he's been fighting through various nagging injuries? Yes. The Rondo that does a great job running the offense and getting people open shots the rest of the time? No. Playoff Rondo? Definitely no.

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
Here's the worst shooters and their nightmare shooting spots.  Josh Smith has a lock on two of the spots, and Austin Rivers is the  worst shooter at the rim at 35%. Chris Paul and Danilo Gallinari curiously appear on both the best and worst list.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/49283/courtvision-the-worst-shooters-so-far

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/49142/courtvision-the-best-shooters-so-far

Bad news for the rest of the NBA.  LeBron is the best finisher in the league, Catfish Bosh is one of the best two mid-range shooters, and Benedict Allen is the best corner three shooter, at an incredible 60%. 

Which is why the Celtics offense so often struggles, despite the fact that they are one of the best in the league at the mid-range shot. 

"Live by the 2, die by the 2" leaves you dead, more often than not.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Was it ever a question LeBron was the league's best finisher?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford