Poll

Josh Smith On The Trading Block, Is He Worth 94$ Million Max Contract?

Yes, I Trade Paul Pierce Contract So That We Can Resign Him
13 (18.3%)
Yes, I Trade Kevin Garnett Contract So That We Can Resign Him
4 (5.6%)
Yes, I Trade Rajan Rondo Contract So That We Can Resign Him
6 (8.5%)
No, He Don't Deserve That Money, Take It Somewhere
48 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: March 26, 2013, 08:44:21 AM

Author Topic: Source "Expectations are growing Hawks will trade Josh Smith"Get em Danny  (Read 13199 times)

Re: Josh Smith On The Trading Block, Is He Worth 94$ Million Max Contract?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:58 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Josh Smith is worth around $15 million a year. So a $75 million over five years deal.

Still, if my team had enough flexibility to add another star or two, I'd give J.Smith the money and pay the luxury tax.

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat (though Atlanta would not)

Smith, Korver, Petro

for

Green, Bass, Lee, Melo, 2013 1st, 2015 1st, 2014 2nd (BOS), 2014 2nd (BRKN)

If they are dumping Josh Smith at this late stage, with the money he is demanding being well-known and a key side issue to completing any trade, Atlanta may not do better than that.

It's a low offer but it could be competitive.

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think Josh Smith is worth around $15 million a year. So a $75 million over five years deal.

Still, if my team had enough flexibility to add another star or two, I'd give J.Smith the money and pay the luxury tax.

That is way to much.  At 15 million, the player needs to be a real positive game changer both ways.  A top 1 or  2 player on a team.

Josh Smith isn't that type of player. 

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I say be patient.

If they just dump Smith, it likely will not be long until Hortford wants out.  That's the guy the Celtics should go after. 

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411

Ditto
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
No, you pay a guy max money when he brings it every night.
Not to a guy who brings it when he feels like it.

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

The real questions are whether you could get him to stop taking so many outside shots and would he be worth a max contract if he was a significantly more efficient scorer.

If Smith could get better shot selection, I MIGHT consider him a max player.  He's such a bonehead.

To put it in "Courtney Lee" terms, he'd fit in better with his team if he cut way back on the long jumpers, but would he be happy with his role on the team?

What do you mean by "Courtney Lee" terms?  We brought Lee in to spread the floor and play D.  Right now, he can't hit anything.  We need him to take long jumpers because that's what he's supposed to be good at.

Smith's job here would be rim protector first, post option second, and rebounder third.  I think he'd be okay with it at first, but he'd undoubtedly step outside at some point.  I think it's just in his nature (taking jumpers), and that's a shame because if he learned to play inside he'd be a beast.

Just a snarky reference to the "Courtney Lee is unhappy with his role on the team" thread.

we will see what he can bring rondo is out 1 year...lets see lee

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No max contract

Get him if he wants to play for workable amount

Otherwise pass

Yeah I go here. Of course he wants Max money. What player of his caliber wouldn't. But thats why there are negotiations and I think that the appeal of playing for the Celts alongside Rondo Garnett and Pierce would take his mind of a Max deal. At least I would think it would.

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
No max contract

Otherwise pass

Yeah I go here. Of course he wants Max money. What player of his caliber wouldn't. But thats why there are negotiations and I think that the appeal of playing for the Celts alongside Rondo Garnett and Pierce would take his mind of a Max deal. At least I would think it would.

I agree, if we get him on the team, I think it is pretty much a guarantee he would resign to play with Rondo. Doubt he can get a max contract from anyone , but even if he could , would he leave the c's and rondo for an extra 2 mil a year to play with a team like Phoenix?

I say get him in here and see how he fits with the team.

4 years 12-14 mil per sounds about right

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No max contract

Otherwise pass

I agree, if we get him on the team, I think it is pretty much a guarantee he would resign to play with Rondo. Doubt he can get a max contract from anyone , but even if he could , would he leave the c's and rondo for an extra 2 mil a year to play with a team like Phoenix?

Agreed.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

The real questions are whether you could get him to stop taking so many outside shots and would he be worth a max contract if he was a significantly more efficient scorer.

If Smith could get better shot selection, I MIGHT consider him a max player.  He's such a bonehead.

To put it in "Courtney Lee" terms, he'd fit in better with his team if he cut way back on the long jumpers, but would he be happy with his role on the team?

What do you mean by "Courtney Lee" terms?  We brought Lee in to spread the floor and play D.  Right now, he can't hit anything.  We need him to take long jumpers because that's what he's supposed to be good at.

Smith's job here would be rim protector first, post option second, and rebounder third.  I think he'd be okay with it at first, but he'd undoubtedly step outside at some point.  I think it's just in his nature (taking jumpers), and that's a shame because if he learned to play inside he'd be a beast.

What are you talking about--Lee's been hitting almost .400 from the 3 for the last two months.  Even counting his tough first month, he's #1 in FT% and #3 in overall FG% and 3PT% among their regular rotation players?

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
No max contract

Otherwise pass

celtics are over the salary cap and if i where to choose, i'd prefer green to stay,

on the note people are saying he can guard lebron, 1 on 1? its a no! not even green

but by not taking him is the best idea for me, so that we can resign pierce kg rondo bradley sully, and when maybe bass or lee or terry or green, we can sign maybe 2 sg who are better maybe reddick and jennings

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

What are you talking about--Lee's been hitting almost .400 from the 3 for the last two months.  Even counting his tough first month, he's #1 in FT% and #3 in overall FG% and 3PT% among their regular rotation players?

yes he has high shooting % for the last two months, but he is only making1 3 pointer a game and taking 1 free throw a game.......

Thats 4 points, that doesn't mean he spaces the floor , it just means he has such few attempts that is % is high

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum

yes he has high shooting % for the last two months, but he is only making1 3 pointer a game and taking 1 free throw a game.......

Thats 4 points, that doesn't mean he spaces the floor , it just means he has such few attempts that is % is high

he just said it's because of rondo, holding the ball for let say 15 seconds? while lee is waiting to attack the basket, lee is a cutter guy style

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No max contract

Otherwise pass

12-14 mill sounds right to me. I would think PP would be in a package to trade for him, but I'm willing to try this line up.

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Smith
KG

Scoring would be hard but the D could be unreal. Would need some shooters off the bench and hope Melo could play 1-15 mins a game.