Poll

Josh Smith On The Trading Block, Is He Worth 94$ Million Max Contract?

Yes, I Trade Paul Pierce Contract So That We Can Resign Him
13 (18.3%)
Yes, I Trade Kevin Garnett Contract So That We Can Resign Him
4 (5.6%)
Yes, I Trade Rajan Rondo Contract So That We Can Resign Him
6 (8.5%)
No, He Don't Deserve That Money, Take It Somewhere
48 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: March 26, 2013, 08:44:21 AM

Author Topic: Source "Expectations are growing Hawks will trade Josh Smith"Get em Danny  (Read 13291 times)

Re: Josh Smith On The Trading Block, Is He Worth 94$ Million Max Contract?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
With JaVale McGee leg injury, Denver may hold on to him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He is not worth the max.  Somewhere in the 8-10 million range is probably what he should be worth.  Likely will end up in the 10-12 million range.   

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not worth the max.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
In theory I would like to trade for him now, then let the process play out in the offseason, knowing that we could make the best offer.

In reality I don't want to trade Pierce or KG for a guy that might bolt to end the year. I would trade Bass Terry and/or Green to match salaries but the Hawks would laugh Danny off the phone for that proposal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
If he really wants to play with Rondo, he could force the Hawks' GM's hand into a trade...

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The real questions are whether you could get him to stop taking so many outside shots and would he be worth a max contract if he was a significantly more efficient scorer.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

The real questions are whether you could get him to stop taking so many outside shots and would he be worth a max contract if he was a significantly more efficient scorer.

If Smith could get better shot selection, I MIGHT consider him a max player.  He's such a bonehead.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd do this trade in a heartbeat (though Atlanta would not)

Smith, Korver, Petro

for

Green, Bass, Lee, Melo, 2013 1st, 2015 1st, 2014 2nd (BOS), 2014 2nd (BRKN)

If they wanted Terry instead of Bass or Lee or if they wanted to keep Petro or Korver, I'd do that as well. 

And I would do that trade and be ok with it even if Smith bolted this summer because at least then it clears Boston out of the financial mess it is in (though I would like to keep Smith).

I would consider Bradley or Sullinger in the trade, but would definitely need to talk to Smith to do that, as I would want him to re-sign if I was giving up one of those two.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He is not worth the max.  Somewhere in the 8-10 million range is probably what he should be worth.  Likely will end up in the 10-12 million range.
You seem to have no real concept of what NBA players make.  I mean Jeff Green makes about 9 million a year and he is no where near the player Josh Smith is. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

If Smith could get better shot selection, I MIGHT consider him a max player.  He's such a bonehead.

To put it in "Courtney Lee" terms, he'd fit in better with his team if he cut way back on the long jumpers, but would he be happy with his role on the team?

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
No max contract

Get him if he wants to play for workable amount

Otherwise pass

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

To put it in "Courtney Lee" terms, he'd fit in better with his team if he cut way back on the long jumpers, but would he be happy with his role on the team?

What do you mean by "Courtney Lee" terms?  We brought Lee in to spread the floor and play D.  Right now, he can't hit anything.  We need him to take long jumpers because that's what he's supposed to be good at.

Smith's job here would be rim protector first, post option second, and rebounder third.  I think he'd be okay with it at first, but he'd undoubtedly step outside at some point.  I think it's just in his nature (taking jumpers), and that's a shame because if he learned to play inside he'd be a beast.

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

What do you mean by "Courtney Lee" terms?  We brought Lee in to spread the floor and play D.  Right now, he can't hit anything.  We need him to take long jumpers because that's what he's supposed to be good at.

Smith's job here would be rim protector first, post option second, and rebounder third.  I think he'd be okay with it at first, but he'd undoubtedly step outside at some point.  I think it's just in his nature (taking jumpers), and that's a shame because if he learned to play inside he'd be a beast.

Just a snarky reference to the "Courtney Lee is unhappy with his role on the team" thread.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney

Just a snarky reference to the "Courtney Lee is unhappy with his role on the team" thread.

Haha TP

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:09 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
How many max contract players should there be in the NBA? Ten? Twenty?

Another poster said that Smith is a top 20 player. I think I'd have him closer to 30. No question he's a great player, and he's worth close to the max.

When you give a player a max contract, though, you lock up 30% of your cap for five years. It's not so much a question of how much he's worth as it is how much cap space you can sacrifice for him. To me, that means that this question boils down to the following: could I win an NBA championship with a team of 3 Josh Smiths + scrubs? Or 2 Josh Smiths and a roster of average players?

I don't think so. He's great, but he's not that special.