Author Topic: Tough Trade Bos/Atl  (Read 4475 times)

Re: Tough Trade Bos/Atl
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
seems like fans think 100% kg and pierce will retire
and danny give the max contract

Yeah, I think the chances of this are insanely slim.  Not only those guys retiring, but Danny finagling enough cap space to sign Smith if they do.

If we want Smith, we are going to have to trade for him, either now, or as a sign and trade in the offseason.

people must really think before posting

1) will pierce and kg retire next season?
2) will danny ferry just let smith walk and go to celtics without getting something?
3) is it enough to give him max contract if rondo pierce and kg was still here?
4) will danny ainge say YES if smith say's i want max contract?
5) rondo and him are teammates the past years since high school?
6) can rondo and smith both bring this team to a championship ring? with rondo's attitude?without a good bench players like we have?
7) will the duo of smith-rondo works while rondo hog the ball so long?
8 ) what if smith keeps on hitting 3's and missed all the time?
9) what if the celtics did not make it to playoffs with smith on the team? what will be the fans reactions?
10)can we sign another good player with smith max contract going to hard salary cap? or we are stuck at PF smith's contract and just signed some veteran old washed out players?

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum

Yeah, I think the chances of this are insanely slim.  Not only those guys retiring, but Danny finagling enough cap space to sign Smith if they do.

If we want Smith, we are going to have to trade for him, either now, or as a sign and trade in the offseason.

i don't think so, if he is a UFA you cant trade him anymore

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Can the Celts even do a sign and trade? I thought you had to be below a certain salary level to do that.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum

Can the Celts even do a sign and trade? I thought you had to be below a certain salary level to do that.

1 word, SMITH IS NOT GOING TO THE CELTICS

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

We'd have to be under the luxury tax and couldn't exceed the luxury tax as a result of the sign and trade.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

1 word, SMITH
Fixed that for you.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm not sure why this is "tough"

1. This is not a great draft, so the pick isn't a huge deal.

2. Bass is dead weight I would love to lose anyways.

3. Green hurts a little, but Smith is such an upgrade over him.  You have to give up something good to get something good.   

The thing that would hurt is if Smith holds out for a max deal.  But if you can get him now, for Green, Bass and a pick (I would gladly throw Melo in as well), its a no brainer.

...and I kind of hate Smith.

I feel that Bass is terribly underrated by NBA fans and especially celtic fans.  Dead weight??

On the defensive end, he's nothing less than solid at the PF position.  He hustles, knows where to be in the rotations in our system, and you never see other teams gameplan to attack him as a weak link.  When he's been forced into switches on LEBRON JAMES he has held his own.  In games 6 & 7 of last year's ECF, when James went off for 45 and 31, Brandon Bass held him to 2/12 shooting in isolation situations when forced into a switch.  Many players would basically roll over if forced into that.  Not Bass.

On the offensive end, he is what he is and he isn't a liability by any means.  His turnovers are very low (under 1 per game).  Teams cannot simply have his defender sag off of him to play help defense in the lane and allow him to take a 16-23 foot jumpshot like you can do with many PFs in the game today.  They occassionally do, but he makes them pay by knocking down the jumper.  He has hit it at a clip less this year (45%) than previously (48%), but that is also on fewer attempts and I think also due to being uncomfortable/unsure what his role has been this year and that will start to trend back up.  And 45% is still not that terrible.

And how many "dead weight" PFs can lead your team to a win in a decisive game 5 by pouring in 27 points while normally accustomed to being the 5th option on offense?

He's not an all-star, but you can't have all-stars at all 5 positions in the NBA.  Give Brandon Bass some love for what he is!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

i don't think so, if he is a UFA you cant trade him anymore

You can sign and trade him.

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
As much as I want Smith I would have a really tough time trading Green for him. I would love to see a future trio of Rondo Green and Smith after the KG Pierce era comes to a close.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Smith and Rondo only play when they want to and both are not that fundamentally sound on the defensive end. Green and Bass are much more fundamentally sound, play better D. Smith would drive DOC (any coach) mad. Dropped him from my fantasy team as soon as I could unload him. Not impressed.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We'd have to be under the luxury tax and couldn't exceed the luxury tax as a result of the sign and trade.

Actually you can't exceed the apron, which is $4m above the luxury tax threshold.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Funny, but about 3 weeks ago almost no one here would have thought we could get anything for Jeff Green.  And many would have gladly traded his contract for anyone with a shorter deal and a pulse.

Now we are not only unsure about taking back an all-star level talent, but are not wanting to let him go at all.

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Trade Rondo for Smith and sign Delonte or Fisher

You do realize that Smith and Rondo are really god freinds and that the main reason he wold probably want to come to Boston is to play with Rondo next year?

BTW FIsher and West are both terrible...

Lasr rumor are sending Smith to NETS

There are tons of rumors about Smith, not sure the Nets one is the latest.  What I was pointing out was Smith isn't coming and staying in Boston wihtout Rondo so you can't trade Rondo to get him...