Author Topic: Rondo for Dirk trade idea  (Read 4782 times)

Rondo for Dirk trade idea
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b83k2uy

The entire trade is:  Rondo, Lee, Green, Bass, Melo, Wilcox for Dirk, Marion, Collison, Vince Carter

This would leave the celtics with a lineup of:

PG - Collison, Terry, Barbosa
SG - Bradley, Carter, Terry
SF - Pierce, Marion
PF - Dirk, Marion
C - KG, Sullinger, Collins

It would be an all in for this season of course.  I'm personally in the camp that thinks that winning a championship will be very difficult for us next season, even with Rondo back, as KG and Pierce age yet another year and Rondo may not be back at full speed.  I'm also in the camp that doesn't think Rondo can carry a championship team as its undisputed best player.

Dirk would have to OK it, but I don't see another championship coming his way any other way.  This new celtics team would actually resemble the championship Mavs a lot... the core of Dirk, Marion, and Terry still in tact, with KG replacing Chandler and oh, just Paul Pierce added into the mix along with others.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Rondo for Dirk trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dirk isnt leaving Dallas
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, tp for the idea. If the opportunity presented itself, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, you might have to get Cuban REALLY REALLY drunk to even consider this.

Anyone know his address and what kind of beer he likes? :)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Wow, tp for the idea. If the opportunity presented itself, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, you might have to get Cuban REALLY REALLY drunk to even consider this.

Not so sure this is such a great deal for us.

Boston gets three guys past their prime and a decent PG.

Dallas gets one of the best point guards in the game and three youngish athletic players just entering their prime. Plus a decent prospect.

You would have to get DANNY drunk to do this.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Note that any deal involving Nowitzki should be immediately thrown in the garbage, seeing as both Cuban and Dirk have decided he ain't going nowhere,
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

Not so sure this is such a great deal for us.

Boston gets three guys past their prime and a decent PG.

Dallas gets one of the best point guards in the game and three youngish athletic players just entering their prime. Plus a decent prospect.

You would have to get DANNY drunk to do this.

Haha, let's get EVERYONE drunk!  I'll lead the way!

For Dallas, they have a ton of salary committed to Dirk and Marion next year... I don't see how they entice any big name FA's to sign a long term contract there.  If they want to resign Mayo and Collison, well then they don't have space for a max FA anymore.

This trade would shed them some money and also get them younger.  I don't know where they stand, but I think it at least makes some sense.

For Boston, yeah the guys are past their prime, but they were in 2010 when Dallas won the title too.  Regardless if Dirk is "past his prime" or not, he's still a top player in the NBA.  Kobe, Wade, Pau, KG, Pierce are also past their primes...  Still all top level NBA players.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Note that any deal involving Nowitzki should be immediately thrown in the garbage, seeing as both Cuban and Dirk have decided he ain't going nowhere,
Publicly, sure.  That doesn't mean anything.  Once you say that a guy could possibly go somewhere, it instantly drives down the quality of the offers coming in.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
For Dallas, they have a ton of salary committed to Dirk and Marion next year... I don't see how they entice any big name FA's to sign a long term contract there. 

Please take another look at Dallas's salary commitments, then comment. Fail. They have nearly none, just because they want to entice a big name FA to sign a long-term contract there. Sigh.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Publicly, sure.  That doesn't mean anything.  Once you say that a guy could possibly go somewhere, it instantly drives down the quality of the offers coming in.

While you're doing that, trade Duncan, Pierce, Kobe away from their teams too.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
For Dallas, they have a ton of salary committed to Dirk and Marion next year... I don't see how they entice any big name FA's to sign a long term contract there. 

Please take another look at Dallas's salary commitments, then comment. Fail. They have nearly none, just because they want to entice a big name FA to sign a long-term contract there. Sigh.

So they don't have a ton of salary committed to Dirk and Marion?  They have $32M committed to those TWO players.  You need more than two 34 year old players to entice a superstar FA to sign a long term contract.

If you think resigning Mayo and Collison will help them entice a big name FA, well Mayo will demand at least $8M, Collison at least $4M, and Crowder and Cunningham are guaranteed $2M combined, so that brings Dallas payroll up to $46M not including cap holds.  Not enough for a max contract.

If you meant nearly none and were referring to players on their roster, you'd be right.  But if you're talking about money, they have $34M committed to 2 34 year olds and 2 bums.  Then cap holds.  But very nice and original use of the "fail" fad to begin your post there.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

While you're doing that, trade Duncan, Pierce, Kobe away from their teams too.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  SA is going to trade away their best player when they have the best record in the NBA?  Yeah that's exactly like the situation in Dallas.  Pierce actually HAS been involved in serious rumors last season and this season as well.  Kobe makes over $27M per year, then over $30M per year next season and basically no team in the NBA can afford him but LA.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am pretty sure action is right on with his numbers.

Dirk and Marion are contracted for $34 million.
Carter for $3.1 million.
Crowder and Cunningham for $2 million.

That's $39.1 million for 5 players.

They will have a $1.5 million to $2 million cap hold for their first round pick.

If they renounce everyone else, meaning they are giving up on resigning Mayo, Beabois, Brand, James, Collison, Kaman and Wright, they still have to have about $4.8 million in cap hols for empty slots.

That means they will have about $45 million in salary and about $12 million to offer as the first year to any contract they want to offer to Chris Paul of Dwight Howard.

I don't see that being enough.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:34:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Maybe, I really like Dirk.

Is there some way we could send "Wince" Carter somewhere else though.  Now way I ever want to see that bum wearing a Celtics jersey.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:04 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Maybe, I really like Dirk.

Is there some way we could send "Wince" Carter somewhere else though.  Now way I ever want to see that bum wearing a Celtics jersey.

Haha, I agree.  He'd be buried on our depth chart.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 05:34:48 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
Dallas would never do it.
Plus, the last thing we need is another jumpshooting big.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG