Author Topic: Doug McDermott  (Read 13168 times)

Re: Doug McDermott
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I expect a Luke Walton like career from him. I see him as a solid 8th or 9th man on a good team. His shooting, decent size, and high iq will lead him to 10+ years in the league if he stays healthy but will never be better than a 9pt 5rb guy.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
People said Bird couldn't jump and guard people, also.

I absolutely love Doug McDermott's game, and believe he's going to be a very, very good NBA starter for years - if not a star.
He can't get the ball against college Ds, that's a problem. He's also not a passer, he's a scorer.

There is literally no way this kid becomes a star. Sorry to say it, but it's true.

You are not paying attention, because every single thing you say is blatantly false.

We see him twice a week out here in the Valley. Seen him in person several times. He is a legitimate national POY candidate and his game translates nicely to the NBA.

How does his game translate nicely?  He gets a vast majority of his points by sealing his man in the post and hitting very simple shots off the glass.  He doesn't have the size to translate that part of the game into the NBA.  The only part of his game that translates nicely is his shooting but that only makes him a nice potential role player if his defense will allow him to stay on the floor, which is in doubt.

He has the size of a NBA small forward but the way he plays in college is almost exclusively as a post-up 4 who pick and pops on occasion from three.  This is what he does on almost every single possession: run really hard down the floor and try to post up.  He mixes it up sometimes by picking and popping from three.  He almost never dribbles or creates his own shot off the dribble.  There is no way he has the game of a very good to star NBA small forward.

He's undoubtedly an excellent shooter but besides that, I don't think his skill level is all that high.  He's shown no handle, no ability to create off the dribble and not post moves besides a simple bank shot.  I haven't seen him try a hook or turnaround jumper.

I'm sure you have seen Zbo and Al Jefferson play. Do these guys look like at times they have any business doing what they do on the court??

They just know how to score no matter who they face. I see Mcdermott in the same light as these guys.  Worse case he is a better Kyle Korver. So no matter what, he will be a good nba player. But i think he will be better than this. I've watched a few games now he has played. And you if watch him, he is always moving on the court. He also rarely makes the same mistake twice. So if gets blocked under the basket by doing one move, he will just try something else instead. And usually it goes in bc its hard for a defender to be able to stop so many moves in one game.

Again i'm overly impressed by this guy, i hope another team doesn't "dallas" him, when we have a shot to pick him. His motor and energy is nothing i have seen , since kobe in his earlier days. Just never stops moving and looks like he could play the whole game with the same energy he began with. Highly intelligent , tough and has the Paul Pierce, creativity ways to score and the you can depend on me, in crisis situations mentality.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I absolutely love Doug McDermott's game, and believe he's going to be a very, very good NBA starter for years - if not a star.
He can't get the ball against college Ds, that's a problem. He's also not a passer, he's a scorer.

There is literally no way this kid becomes a star. Sorry to say it, but it's true.

You are not paying attention, because every single thing you say is blatantly false.

We see him twice a week out here in the Valley. Seen him in person several times. He is a legitimate national POY candidate and his game translates nicely to the NBA.

How does his game translate nicely?  He gets a vast majority of his points by sealing his man in the post and hitting very simple shots off the glass.  He doesn't have the size to translate that part of the game into the NBA.  The only part of his game that translates nicely is his shooting but that only makes him a nice potential role player if his defense will allow him to stay on the floor, which is in doubt.

He has the size of a NBA small forward but the way he plays in college is almost exclusively as a post-up 4 who pick and pops on occasion from three.  This is what he does on almost every single possession: run really hard down the floor and try to post up.  He mixes it up sometimes by picking and popping from three.  He almost never dribbles or creates his own shot off the dribble.  There is no way he has the game of a very good to star NBA small forward.

He's undoubtedly an excellent shooter but besides that, I don't think his skill level is all that high.  He's shown no handle, no ability to create off the dribble and not post moves besides a simple bank shot.  I haven't seen him try a hook or turnaround jumper.

I'm sure you have seen Zbo and Al Jefferson play. Do these guys look like at times they have any business doing what they do on the court??

They just know how to score no matter who they face. I see Mcdermott in the same light as these guys.  Worse case he is a better Kyle Korver. So no matter what, he will be a good nba player. But i think he will be better than this. I've watched a few games now he has played. And you if watch him, he is always moving on the court. He also rarely makes the same mistake twice. So if gets blocked under the basket by doing one move, he will just try something else instead. And usually it goes in bc its hard for a defender to be able to stop so many moves in one game.

Again i'm overly impressed by this guy, i hope another team doesn't "dallas" him, when we have a shot to pick him. His motor and energy is nothing i have seen , since kobe in his earlier days. Just never stops moving and looks like he could play the whole game with the same energy he began with. Highly intelligent , tough and has the Paul Pierce, creativity ways to score and the you can depend on me, in crisis situations mentality.

Excellent take. Completely agree and I'd jump on this guy - and try to move up - to grab him. You don't find this kind of basketball intellect and creativity in every pro prospect. See Green, Gerald, for further information.

He will be special in the league. Mark it down.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
No guarantees can be made. About anyone.

And I don't see this guy as special. But prove me wrong, Doug!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

What does Jefferson and Randolph have to do with McDermott?  They are much bigger guys with the size to be bigs in the NBA.  They are extremely strong.  They can get their shots off in the paint.  As a 6'7 guy with limited hops and an average wingspan, it is very unlikely he'll be able to do the things in the post in the NBA that he does in college.

While it's impressive that he's always moving, it's usually in an effort to post up on either side of the paint.  He won't be allowed to do that as a small forward or a very undersized PF.

I don't know why you think he's a creative scorer.  About 95 percent of his points come from simple bank shots from 2 feet away or spot up jumpers.

He's a 6'7 SF with below-average athleticism and length who almost never dribbles the ball in a game.  His outside shot gives him a chance of being a role player but he profiles very weakly as a potential starting SF.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
Compare McDermott to someone like Sam Dekker of Wisconsin.  Dekker isn't in the conversation for National Player of the Year honors like McDermott but I'd say he has a much higher NBA ceiling because his skill level and body type match up and he's more athletic. He can drive to the rim with the kind of body movement that wing players typically do, he handles the ball once in a while and he can run the wing on a fastbreak.  Dekker's not a great NBA prospect either, although he may develop into a very good one in time but he does more small forwardish things than McDermott does. 

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No guarantees can be made. About anyone.

And I don't see this guy as special. But prove me wrong, Doug!

I'm on board with you, man.

I don't see anything special as well outside of his length and shooting. If utilized correctly, he'll be a perfect sniper in the NBA. But I have to see more, mostly in the Tournament, see if he's starter quality talent. See if he can hang around with guys his size and more athletic and still be productive.

Prove US wrong, Doug.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have only seen the highlights, but he looks like a tweener to me.  That is going to really hold him back.  Not quick enough to play SF and not big enough for PF. 

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I have only seen the highlights, but he looks like a tweener to me.  That is going to really hold him back.  Not quick enough to play SF and not big enough for PF.

isn't that what they said about bird? nowitzki?

Or Sabonis was too slow or injured to be a good center?

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
There are two kinds of sf's in the league.

SG/SF like a Rudy Gay, Kevin Durant

or

Pf/SF like a Metta World Peace, Andrei Kirilenko

There is no reason Mcdermott won't be an effective sf, bc he is not more like a Rudy Gay with nice handles and quickness. Instead he will make it , by getting you some extra rebounds, post points and tip ins.

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

No, Dirk is almost 7 foot and Larry was a 6'9" SF no one called them tweeners.  People did say they were slow, white and can't jump though but never a tweener.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton

McDermott doesn't have Nowitzki or Bird's size or skill level.  They also said Adam was too slow and unathletic to make and they were right.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

McDermott doesn't have Nowitzki or Bird's size or skill level.  They also said Adam was too slow and unathletic to make and they were right.

how do you know this?? Nobody knew Bird was going to be good even after college until he showed everyone in the nba , the same domination. I understand skepticism that these type of "white" players are once in a lifetime kind of players.

I never once thought this about luke babbitt nor adam morrison. Morrison runs like he has a gimp leg. And the only thing he can basically do well is shoot, and in the nba if he is wide open.  Mcdermott i agree has no business what he is doing in college, but the bottom line is he does it. Results after results and all of a sudden in the nba he is going to tank??

I personally hope he stops playing now or misses the rest of the year with a minor injury bc the more he keeps producing the more he is going to climb past where we could pick him up.

Watch this clip. How are you going to stop a guy who in matter of milliseconds just shoots jumpers over you even though your pressed up in his face?? And if you press up too hard will drive with either hand and finish around the basket with accuracy. Plus if he can develop a dribble and pull up jumper on top of his deadly 3 point shooting, it will be a nightmare for whoever defends him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhMoOHpvRg

I know defense is going to be his weakest link. He might have to cheat the drive in the nba against sf's, or figure something else out. I wouldn't worry bc he will work his butt off anyways.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:50:20 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bird was a great offensive facilitator both out of the post and off the bounce. He was also an elite team defender even though individually he wasn't a good one on one guy.

Those attributes combined with his size make him entirely different from McDermott. Did Larry Bird ever find it impossible to get open to get the ball late in close Missouri Valley conference games? Because Doug has had massive issues even getting shots off in many of their loses.

I mean I guess he could be a Vladmir Radmonivic type, but again he's smaller so it'll be harder for him.

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Bird was a great offensive facilitator both out of the post and off the bounce. He was also an elite team defender even though individually he wasn't a good one on one guy.

Those attributes combined with his size make him entirely different from McDermott. Did Larry Bird ever find it impossible to get open to get the ball late in close Missouri Valley conference games? Because Doug has had massive issues even getting shots off in many of their loses.

I mean I guess he could be a Vladmir Radmonivic type, but again he's smaller so it'll be harder for him.

And how many loses is this?? like 10 compared to 30 plus wins. In more than like 70 percent of the 30 wins, Mcdermott has been the reason the team has won. You are close or down in the 4th? No problem, just give to mcdermott and he will go to work

Radmonivic? are you kidding me? That guy had weak post capabilities and isn't half the player Mcdermott is.

Mcdermott is a player that gets drafted by the celts or not , a player i will root for.  Just really like his game and imo will translate well in the nba. And worse case if some parts of his current game don't work in the nba, he will figure out a way to produce results.