Author Topic: Doug McDermott  (Read 13265 times)

Re: Doug McDermott
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bird was a great offensive facilitator both out of the post and off the bounce. He was also an elite team defender even though individually he wasn't a good one on one guy.

Those attributes combined with his size make him entirely different from McDermott. Did Larry Bird ever find it impossible to get open to get the ball late in close Missouri Valley conference games? Because Doug has had massive issues even getting shots off in many of their loses.

I mean I guess he could be a Vladmir Radmonivic type, but again he's smaller so it'll be harder for him.
No problem, just give to mcdermott and he will go to work

Have you watched them in the MVC? They can't get him the ball far too often, and he can't go get it himself either.

When they've lost games he's had a handful of shots for the entirety of crunch time (last fourth of the game). If you're going to be a great offensive player you have to be able to go get the ball!

Now when he's just a rotation guy rather than the star that'll be less important, but it still doesn't bode well for his pro prospects.

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bird was a great offensive facilitator both out of the post and off the bounce. He was also an elite team defender even though individually he wasn't a good one on one guy.

Those attributes combined with his size make him entirely different from McDermott. Did Larry Bird ever find it impossible to get open to get the ball late in close Missouri Valley conference games? Because Doug has had massive issues even getting shots off in many of their loses.

I mean I guess he could be a Vladmir Radmonivic type, but again he's smaller so it'll be harder for him.
No problem, just give to mcdermott and he will go to work

Have you watched them in the MVC? They can't get him the ball far too often, and he can't go get it himself either.

When they've lost games he's had a handful of shots for the entirety of crunch time (last fourth of the game). If you're going to be a great offensive player you have to be able to go get the ball!

Now when he's just a rotation guy rather than the star that'll be less important, but it still doesn't bode well for his pro prospects.

The team is full of mediocre players. I see enough times on the court where Mcdermott runs around like a headless chicken putting his hands out for the ball. But the entry pass is not made bc his teammates are not skilled enough in passing, scoring demanding some attention etc.

this year Mcdermott has changed the game plan by making that extra pass for easy shots making a few of his players look like stars. That way he gets more breathing space.

I agree that if he is not the top guy in his team in the nba it will be easier for him to do his job. Mcdermott at worse will be a Matt Hapring in the nba.

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Watching him against Wichita State right now at ESPN2.

He's starting HOT. And I notice the great footwork he has on the down low. He likes going to the post. I don't think he'll be able to do that in the NBA level though.

Saw him hustle on defense after committing a TO. Guess he's not a one dimensional player. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He just went Larry Bird on a good Wichita State defense.

LOL at anyone who thinks McDermott can't play in the association.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

You're LOLing at ghosts.  I think most people feel McDermott's shooting gives him a chance to carve out a role in the NBA but you peg him as a very good to star player.  I think that is highly unlikely.

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You're LOLing at ghosts.  I think most people feel McDermott's shooting gives him a chance to carve out a role in the NBA but you peg him as a very good to star player.  I think that is highly unlikely.

let me ask you something, has there been anyone who has gone haywire on Mcdermott yet?

Last year vs UNC, while Henson did have a couple of blocks on him, its not like he scored 40 points against a so called bad defender. Henson went like 5-13 , Macadoo stats not even worth while mentioning, while Mcdermott went 9-18 against these so called high calibre nba prospects.

What about paul pierce?? many don't even think he can defend, for his body type and age. But due to his iq and other intangibles he gets it done on both ends of the court. And i highly doubt a Mcdermott right now is more physically incapable of a much older pierce today.

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I love McDermott, but his ceiling is probably as a 6th/7th man.  Very talented, but just not athletic enough to hang with the all-stars.  He'll be better then say a Kyle Korver because he does have some inside game, but he prob will just end up as a scorer off the bench in the NBA.
do it

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
didn't see anything overly amazing in the clip.  kid hit a lot of close up shots off nice passes. 

anyone else thinking he's more likely to be the next Adam Morrison than the next Dirk Nowitzki?

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The celtics need someone like mcdermott badly on the team right now. His avg defense won't be a liability on a team defense first celtics team.

But could use a guy like mcdermott on the offensive end, bc he can post and also shoot the three. 

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
he's the next adam morrison

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
he's the next adam morrison

Mcdermott >>> Morrison. Mcdermott is a better shooter (morrisons bread and butter), no comparison in post play, better rebounder, better defender as he doesn't have a gimp leg. The shooting alone make Mcdermott better than Morrison

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

let me ask you something, has there been anyone who has gone haywire on Mcdermott yet?

Last year vs UNC, while Henson did have a couple of blocks on him, its not like he scored 40 points against a so called bad defender. Henson went like 5-13 , Macadoo stats not even worth while mentioning, while Mcdermott went 9-18 against these so called high calibre nba prospects.

What about paul pierce?? many don't even think he can defend, for his body type and age. But due to his iq and other intangibles he gets it done on both ends of the court. And i highly doubt a Mcdermott right now is more physically incapable of a much older pierce today.

Are you kidding?! Pierce was the twelfth best player in the NBA Eastern Conference. How much are you under rating him? What a joke!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Are you kidding?! Pierce was the twelfth best player in the NBA Eastern Conference. How much are you under rating him? What a joke!

why can't you read it the way i wanted to convey the message instead of seeing Paul Pierce and Mcdermott name together and freaking out right away.

AGAIN my point was , Paul Pierce is a 6'6 sf (a inch or two short for a sf in the nba), not that athletic nor quick, but gets the job done on both ends of the court using his smarts , hard work and skills. Mcdermott much like pierce doesn't have a great "NBA" body. Sully doesn't have the a great "NBA" body. You just got to comprehend some players just know how to ball regardless

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

why can't you read it the way i wanted to convey the message instead of seeing Paul Pierce and Mcdermott name together and freaking out right away.

AGAIN my point was , Paul Pierce is a 6'6 sf (a inch or two short for a sf in the nba), not that athletic nor quick, but gets the job done on both ends of the court using his smarts , hard work and skills. Mcdermott much like pierce doesn't have a great "NBA" body. Sully doesn't have the a great "NBA" body. You just got to comprehend some players just know how to ball

Pierce may seem unathletic and slow, but that's just in our eyes. Simply untrue. He is leaps and bounds more fit than any and all college players, even given his age. And then we can speak of his BBIQ and all the other things he does well. McDermott can not possibly be compared. I don't have a great NBA body, can I make it into the league?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

AGAIN my point was , Paul Pierce is a 6'6 sf (a inch or two short for a sf in the nba), not that athletic nor quick, but gets the job done on both ends of the court using his smarts , hard work and skills. Mcdermott much like pierce doesn't have a great "NBA" body. Sully doesn't have the a great "NBA" body. You just got to comprehend some players just know how to ball

Pierce may seem unathletic and slow, but that's just in our eyes. Simply untrue. He is leaps and bounds more fit than any and all college players, even given his age. And then we can speak of his BBIQ and all the other things he does well. McDermott can not possibly be compared. I don't have a great NBA body, can I make it into the league?

no. by the way you tend to freak out so easily.

BTW if you hear almost every commentator/announcer they say Paul Pierce is one of those  "ugly body", nonathletic , guys that is crafty on the court and has used his creativity , smarts to get the job done for so long.  And its true.