Author Topic: Doug McDermott  (Read 13167 times)

Doug McDermott
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-myi2n2g1o

can someone who watches alot of college ball tell me , more about this kid.

Looks like a typical white kid who can shoot. So whats new?

Well i'm reading and seeing clips that he is like the next dirk or a better version of Wally z.

From the clip looks like he has 100 ways to score inside (like al jefferson) and is a lights out shooter all the way from the 3 point land. Again being a typical white kid, knock on him is he won't be able to play nba defense.

draftexpress has him pegged as a Kyle Korver type guy, and has incredible motor from start to finish.

On nbadraft.net he is pegged to go in the late 20's. Is this kid going to be a steal or just another Harangody?? How much better is he than Harangody??

Re: Doug McDermott
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTj-rYiNWVU

found another clip. Love these mike smitz draftexpress in depth clips.

Also his stats are exceptional, with 500 fg and 3 pt shooting percentages. Though he doesn't play against great competition.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Once teams plan for him, he's going straight to Europe.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Reminds me of John Paxon's game with better finishing around the rim.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Reminds me of John Paxon's game with better finishing around the rim.

Well Paxon was a guard. This kid is 6'8

I like his motor , scoring capabilities and confidence.

The way he runs around without the ball to get open , looks Ray Allen like.

Larry Bird played before i really got into basketball. His defense i remember wasn't the best and he played sf. Back then for drafting players,was athleticism and defense not as high priority as scoring skills? I'm not saying this kid will be like bird , but how can anyone tell who the next bird will be? 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:16:51 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Hordon Gayward?  ???

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 03:21:27 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Excellent shooter, a potential deadly pick and pop/spot up option from three but besides that, I don't think the rest of his game translates to the NBA at all.  He plays sort of like Wally Szczerbiak did in college with less ball handling but I'd rate his athleticism a couple of rungs lower than Wally's.  Yeah, he's pretty slow and unathletic.  He finishes around the rim really well in college but I can't see that happening in the NBA and there is no way he is going to create separation either on his own or running away from guys off screens.  On the defensive end, he has no chance.

All that said, it's possible he could be a deadly offensive option in the right system just like Steve Novak.  He is that kind of shooter. 

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Excellent shooter, a potential deadly pick and pop/spot up option from three but besides that, I don't think the rest of his game translates to the NBA at all.  He plays sort of like Wally Szczerbiak did in college with less ball handling but I'd rate his athleticism a couple of rungs lower than Wally's.  Yeah, he's pretty slow and unathletic.  He finishes around the rim really well in college but I can't see that happening in the NBA and there is no way he is going to create separation either on his own or running away from guys off screens.  On the defensive end, he has no chance.

All that said, it's possible he could be a deadly offensive option in the right system just like Steve Novak.  He is that kind of shooter.

no chance is far fetched. Thats like saying Sullinger has no chance against centers in the nba. His motor and iq proved this theory to be dead wrong

Mcdermott also from the scouting report has a high motor and iq. He would be better suited to be a sf in the nba due to his size but from his package , would be a more effective PF. I can see him being a very good 6th or 7th man type of player.

If the Celtics get in the position to draft him around the 20's, i would do it , in a heartbeat. He just looks like a guy other teams will hate to play against, on both sides of the court.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
People said Bird couldn't jump and guard people, also.

I absolutely love Doug McDermott's game, and believe he's going to be a very, very good NBA starter for years - if not a star.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I absolutely love Doug McDermott's game, and believe he's going to be a very, very good NBA starter for years - if not a star.
He can't get the ball against college Ds, that's a problem. He's also not a passer, he's a scorer.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

He can't get the ball against college Ds, that's a problem. He's also not a passer, he's a scorer.

There is literally no way this kid becomes a star. Sorry to say it, but it's true.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

There is literally no way this kid becomes a star. Sorry to say it, but it's true.

You are not paying attention, because every single thing you say is blatantly false.

We see him twice a week out here in the Valley. Seen him in person several times. He is a legitimate national POY candidate and his game translates nicely to the NBA.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

You are not paying attention, because every single thing you say is blatantly false.

We see him twice a week out here in the Valley. Seen him in person several times. He is a legitimate national POY candidate and his game translates nicely to the NBA.
I've watched most of their games, I live in Omaha so we get most of them on Television especially this year.

He's not a ball hog, that's not what I meant by scorer versus passer. He's not a creative passer, is what I meant, in that way comparisons to Bird don't ring true.

As for not getting the ball, he can't not when teams are physical with him and deny it. Go look at the games Creighton has lost especially. They struggle to get him the ball and they've lost games because of it.

Now certainly some of that is on his teammates, but if you want to be a special offensive player you have to be able to get yourself open to get the ball! Especially when you aren't comfortable getting it near the top or the elbow where its easier to toss it to you.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I've watched most of their games, I live in Omaha so we get most of them on Television especially this year.

He's not a ball hog, that's not what I meant by scorer versus passer. He's not a creative passer, is what I meant, in that way comparisons to Bird don't ring true.

As for not getting the ball, he can't not when teams are physical with him and deny it. Go look at the games Creighton has lost especially. They struggle to get him the ball and they've lost games because of it.

Now certainly some of that is on his teammates, but if you want to be a special offensive player you have to be able to get yourself open to get the ball! Especially when you aren't comfortable getting it near the top or the elbow where its easier to toss it to you.

Creighton has nobody to depend on , except for this guy. He is being double teamed and usually harassed

What if he plays on a pro team , where he doesn't have to be the main guy??

I salivate at that thought. Maybe its 3 three's in a row, maybe its two quick interior baskets.

People mention Matt Hapring part 2 with DM. And last time i remember Hapring was a pretty good darn sf. Gave pierce all kinds of trouble when they played against each other
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:43:29 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71

How does his game translate nicely?  He gets a vast majority of his points by sealing his man in the post and hitting very simple shots off the glass.  He doesn't have the size to translate that part of the game into the NBA.  The only part of his game that translates nicely is his shooting but that only makes him a nice potential role player if his defense will allow him to stay on the floor, which is in doubt.

He has the size of a NBA small forward but the way he plays in college is almost exclusively as a post-up 4 who pick and pops on occasion from three.  This is what he does on almost every single possession: run really hard down the floor and try to post up.  He mixes it up sometimes by picking and popping from three.  He almost never dribbles or creates his own shot off the dribble.  There is no way he has the game of a very good to star NBA small forward.

He's undoubtedly an excellent shooter but besides that, I don't think his skill level is all that high.  He's shown no handle, no ability to create off the dribble and not post moves besides a simple bank shot.  I haven't seen him try a hook or turnaround jumper.