Author Topic: Anyone here ever renounce citizenship before?  (Read 2037 times)

Re: Anyone here ever renounce citizenship before?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
In order to get citizenship in another country? I'm just curious how this goes and the pros and cons. Obviously I have some research to do.

From which country to which other country?
From the US to a Euro country. I guess they all have different requirements, right?

Yes they all have different requirements, fox example Germany from what i know it's not possible to have dual citizenship, most EU countries do not allow dual citizenship or have a long list of pre-requirements before allowing dual citizenship. Italy and France are bigger eu countries that allow dual citizenship. I'm from Macedonia, small country in eu. My grandfather imigrated to USA 45 years a go and his wife, born and raised in USA just got Macedonian citizenship, but i guess you don't want macedonian citizenship hahaha. It's a poor country but pretty low taxes :)

I know quite a bunch of germans who have dual cituzenship, so that's not really true... But yes, there are some prerequirements. Most of them are country specific I believe, so it'll require some research.

The only guys I know that have renounced US citizenship are people who haven't grown up in the US and felt the negatives of keeping citizenship largely outweigh the positives.

i was wrong, you can have a dual citizenship if german passport is your second but not the other way. German citizenship is automatically lost when a German citizen voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Avery Bradley
  • Tommy Points: 26
I've been overseas for 25 years now...and counting.

Personally, would not want to renounce my US citizenship...though not sure I'll ever come back, I do want the option.  A number of countries do offer dual citizenship, and/or ways to become a long-term resident, which is the option I prefer.

Good luck with this...

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »

Online Celtics4ever

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 469
Make sure you speak the langauge.  Rosetta Stone for the win.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 382
  • Jeff Green
Make sure you speak the langauge.  Rosetta Stone for the win.

More like ftl.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Fantasy Draft Topics

Welcome to CelticsBlog