Author Topic: Ray Lewis and...DEER ANTLER SPRAY???  (Read 11991 times)

Re: Ray Lewis and...DEER ANTLER SPRAY???
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 11:41:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This story is asinine.

Here's a medical analysis:

A bottle contains around 180 sprays, and a typical dose is three sprays. Thus, a single dose of deer antler velvet contains between 50 and 84 nanograms of IGF-1. In order to mimic the research study that found IGF-1 to have similar benefits to growth hormone you would need to consume between 1,500,000 to 906,000 sprays PER DAY: that’s between 8,333 to 5,033 bottles per day. Think of the cost alone.

Claiming that deer antler velvet is “… similar to HGH in that it aids in recovery. It helps build tissue, and strengthen tissue – more than you can ever do by training alone.” Is absurd. IGF-1, maybe, in high doses, but not deer antler velvet. Does anyone really think that ground-up deer antlers will result in increased performance similar to taking synthetic growth hormone? Recreational IGF-1 supplementation can range from 20,000 to 200,000 nanograms, while less then reported in the earlier study, you would still need to consume between 4 and 40 bottles per day, and the benefits would be anecdotal at best.

This could be one of those deals like the difference between ordinary harmless bath salts and get-super-wasted-and-chew-up-some-faces "bath salts".  It's very possible someone could be selling superconcentrated IGF-1 and calling it "deer antler spray" to give it a veneer of legality.

Not gonna convict the dude based on my own supposition but we're not necessarily talking about the ordinary over-the-counter stuff here.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
This story is asinine.

A bottle contains around 180 sprays, and a typical dose is three sprays. Thus, a single dose of deer antler velvet contains between 50 and 84 nanograms of IGF-1. In order to mimic the research study that found IGF-1 to have similar benefits to growth hormone you would need to consume between 1,500,000 to 906,000 sprays PER DAY: that’s between 8,333 to 5,033 bottles per day. Think of the cost alone.

Claiming that deer antler velvet is “… similar to HGH in that it aids in recovery. It helps build tissue, and strengthen tissue – more than you can ever do by training alone.” Is absurd. IGF-1, maybe, in high doses, but not deer antler velvet. Does anyone really think that ground-up deer antlers will result in increased performance similar to taking synthetic growth hormone? Recreational IGF-1 supplementation can range from 20,000 to 200,000 nanograms, while less then reported in the earlier study, you would still need to consume between 4 and 40 bottles per day, and the benefits would be anecdotal at best.

it ain't rhinoceros risk after all
Yup

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Poor Ray. He doesn't wish to discuss deer antlers or double murders at the Super Bowl. Too bad he didn't think of that before he did that

SMH^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe Read this: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-ray-lewis-denies-using-banned-substance-during-rehab-from-injury-20130129,0,7725655.story?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co
Ah yes. Ray Lewis denying something. Where is Shannon Sharp when we need him?

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This story is asinine.

Might as well just drink the stuff, why bother "squirting" in your mouth.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  All I know is, people listen to that jackass Micheal Felger WAYYYYYYY too much.  That guy is the biggest hack in TV history.  He is just a loser, plain and simple.  Totally a whiny, sore-loser type.  Which seems to fit Pats fans quite well.

You know, he beat my team in the SB once, but I don't begrudge the man.

What does felger have to do with this story? He didn't break it, SI did. and he flat out said yesterday that it didn't have any impact on the game and that he doesn't begrudge Ray or any NFL player for trying to get an edge in the game.

Lets face facts, every high level athlete in the NFL is looking for every competitive advantage, particularly on defense. Those guys take to much punishment to survive playing and training "all natural"

And I don't honestly care. If AP needs "advanced training methods" to come back from an ACL 5 months ahead of schedule and dominate the league, then great, do you.

Same with Wes Welker, who also got back from an ACL 3 months earlier than anyone expected and looks stronger and quicker than before he got hurt. I can only hope rajon uses these same "advanced rehab" methods.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This story is asinine.

Might as well just drink the stuff, why bother "squirting" in your mouth.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.  All I know is, people listen to that jackass Micheal Felger WAYYYYYYY too much.  That guy is the biggest hack in TV history.  He is just a loser, plain and simple.  Totally a whiny, sore-loser type.  Which seems to fit Pats fans quite well.

You know, he beat my team in the SB once, but I don't begrudge the man.

What does felger have to do with this story? He didn't break it, SI did. and he flat out said yesterday that it didn't have any impact on the game and that he doesn't begrudge Ray or any NFL player for trying to get an edge in the game.

Lets face facts, every high level athlete in the NFL is looking for every competitive advantage, particularly on defense. Those guys take to much punishment to survive playing and training "all natural"

And I don't honestly care. If AP needs "advanced training methods" to come back from an ACL 5 months ahead of schedule and dominate the league, then great, do you.

Same with Wes Welker, who also got back from an ACL 3 months earlier than anyone expected and looks stronger and quicker than before he got hurt. I can only hope rajon uses these same "advanced rehab" methods.
Or Jerry Rice that came back from a torn ACL in 3 months

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Rice then immediately reinjured himself, he came back too early.

Your ligament can heal in 3 months potentially, but the rest of your knee won't have recovered. Thus you reinjure yourself as Rice showed.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You mean you believe that in this day and age a murderer took illegal and banned substances to get himself a 17 year career at linebacker in the NFL? How cynical you are. This would never happen. I mean yeah Lance Armstrong, but Ray Lewis? Ray? Nooooooo. He is pure as the mountain snow

Haha.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ha, I just read the full story.

"Ross told SI he prescribed a program to help Lewis' recovery that included multiple components, including holographic stickers for the elbow, sleeping in front of a beam-ray light, drinking negatively charged water, and taking a regimen of deer-antler pills and spraying deer-antler extract under the tongue every two hours."

Holographic stickers and "negatively charged water"?  We're missing the real story here, which is that Ray Lewis apparently will believe anything from a guy with a degree from Hollywood Upstairs Medical School.