Author Topic: Why don't we post up more?  (Read 4994 times)

Re: Why don't we post up more?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
While watching the Miami game, it seemed like we were constantly forming an arc of players around and moving the ball to try and get a mid range jump shot.

Both KG and Sully are decent post up players and I think Pierce and Green could do some damage down there as well.

Why do we not stick Sully's big behind down there a few times a game and let him try to get something done?

Same for Pierce especially since he's struggling form outside.

I'd like to see Green down there a little more as well.

Thoughts?

I've been screaming for this all dang year now. But i am sure somebody will come in and say sully cannot post up blah blah blah. watch.  ::)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 03:33:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
While watching the Miami game, it seemed like we were constantly forming an arc of players around and moving the ball to try and get a mid range jump shot.

Both KG and Sully are decent post up players and I think Pierce and Green could do some damage down there as well.

Why do we not stick Sully's big behind down there a few times a game and let him try to get something done?

Thoughts?

Sully doesn't know how to get his shot off against taller players yet, I don't know how much success he'll have posting up at this stage. KG can do it but not too much, I keep thinking back to the last game or two of the 2011 Miami series where he was posting up a lot (and with good success) early in the game and too spent to be effective in the second half.
He is a pretty smart player, I see him using his high likelihood of getting blocked to his advantage, by up faking and creating fouls. If after a few up fakes he doesn't have it, I think he'll kick it out.

That's what I'd like to see, not what I've seen so far.

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538

Thoughts?

Sully doesn't know how to get his shot off against taller players yet, I don't know how much success he'll have posting up at this stage. KG can do it but not too much, I keep thinking back to the last game or two of the 2011 Miami series where he was posting up a lot (and with good success) early in the game and too spent to be effective in the second half.
He is a pretty smart player, I see him using his high likelihood of getting blocked to his advantage, by up faking and creating fouls. If after a few up fakes he doesn't have it, I think he'll kick it out.

BBD used to pound the boards down low like that and use up fakes.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Thoughts?

When the team is losing wishful thinking makes me feel better ;-)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Thoughts?

When the team is losing wishful thinking makes me feel better ;-)

I don't want to stand in the way of that. Carry on.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Ok so it's not just me. Good stat Roy - that seems shockingly low as a % on post ups. Means if we're not hitting jumpers, the D can just camp in the lane.

So many times I see us form this arc around the perimeter with nothing into the middle.

I would really start pounding the ball into the post, as follows:

1. Sully - and I fully expect him to get his shot blocked fairly often - at first - and I want that to happen. Why, because Sully will start figuring very quickly how to leverage his body weight against NBA bigs on the block and because he has displayed a rather surprising and effective fade away jumper in the post he will also start figuring out the value of the "up and under". I have full confidence in his ability to "figure it out" pretty quickly down there.

2. KG - actually very effective down there when he goes. Also, like Sully you have to give him attention on the block and both KG and Sully are very good passers.

3. Pierce - very crafty on the side block and elbows -no mystery there.

4. Jeff Green - agree with the rip through and face up, a quick step and to the rim. Or just start taking some simple fade away jumpers from 8-10 feet, get comfortable with it down there.

If we combine this with Bradley and Lee getting into the lane and attacking the basket our offense won't be so predictable.

And it would just be more fun to watch as well.       

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
coaching decision
if i had green in i'd have him on the box at least 1/2 the time and take him on the low post against EVERY small forward in the league except maybe lebron

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I would expect that even if KG shoots only 45% from the post, what I gather from watching is that he draws help defense and passes out frequently which makes the opposing team scrambling to recover and leads to quality shot attempts for the rest of the team.

I've long wanted us to run the offense through KG in the low post similar to how SA used to with Duncan even if KG's not taking a ton of shots there.  He will still be able to pop out to take his high % jumper once he passes out and the defense is scrambling also.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
We could have posted up Rondo.
Jeff Green needs some ISO postups.
Paul Pierce gets enough.
Kevin Garnett can have a few more, but he's fine.
Courtney Lee, maybe over smaller defenders.
Avery Bradley, should do it over Isaiah tomorrow vs. Kings.
Brandon Bass, could give it a go.
Leandro Barbosa and Jason Collins, should not.

I think Jeff Green is the main guy we need to post up more. He can post up well
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think there's a glitch in the forums, this thread is from 2008.

And 2009. And 2010. And 2011.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Hey! Join the chat on ***The Bash Rondo Thread***

Link: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62008.msg1388869;topicseen#new

Remember, no profound language or personal attacks. Make your thinking clear and not hateful. Its just an open discussion, LET IT ALL OUT  ;D
really?
isn't this considered trolling

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Link: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62008.msg1388869;topicseen#new

Remember, no profound language or personal attacks. Make your thinking clear and not hateful. Its just an open discussion, LET IT ALL OUT  ;D

Enough already, if we want to post, we will. Now please stop spamming valuable discussions.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Yeah, well, I want to see some pick and rolls!  :D  I mean, remember, how Terry and Dirk ran that play over and over a couple of years ago?

KG, Sully, Green, even Pierce ought to be rolling to the basket after setting picks for Terry. All four of them can finish at the rim and Terry is a good passer and has a good mid-range shot. Three of them, we know have good mid-range jumpshots, too, in case they want to pop.  I don't know how Bradley or Lee would do with the pick and roll, but Terry and Barbosa ought to eat it up!

I don't think we'd confuse our guys with Stockton and Malone, but it seems to be a bread and butter play everywhere but in Boston.

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Enough already, if we want to post, we will. Now please stop spamming valuable discussions.

co-sign

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 04:47:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
'Cause Doc doesn't like to mix things up. We may not have a lot of post players, or great post players, but let's face it: Doc has a specific system that he designed when the Big 3 came together, and whether good or bad he sticks with it, no matter what. This is why we have Jason Terry, a pick-and-roll player, running Ray Allen's multiscreen curl routes. Doc wants Rondo to dominate the ball, he wants whoever's in the "Ray Allen" slot to run around endless screens, and he wants everyone else standing around the perimeter 99% of the time.

Look, Rondo has great court vision and is great at getting the ball to guys where they like to receive it, but to stick to that alone is such a stilted way to approach offense that it always ends up stagnating sooner or later, especially since Rondo doesn't really like to drive a lot and take contact. There's no mixing things up under Doc's system, except that now he might not have a choice.

Bradley, Lee, and Barbosa, and probably Green, are capable cutters.

Sully, and to a lesser extent Pierce and Green, and even KG still sometimes, can post.

Barbosa and Lee can take the ball to the rim, and we've seen Green do this too.

Variation is key to keeping a defense on its heels, but variation is mighty scarce in Doc's system.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis