Author Topic: Why don't we post up more?  (Read 4993 times)

Why don't we post up more?
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
While watching the Miami game, it seemed like we were constantly forming an arc of players around and moving the ball to try and get a mid range jump shot.

Both KG and Sully are decent post up players and I think Pierce and Green could do some damage down there as well.

Why do we not stick Sully's big behind down there a few times a game and let him try to get something done?

Same for Pierce especially since he's struggling form outside.

I'd like to see Green down there a little more as well.

Thoughts?

Re: Why don't we post up more?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Especially Sully though, he's 6'8" and 270 and known for a decent post game - and I see him take more mid range jump shots than post ups...

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I 100% agree. Also, if Doc would play Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3, Pierce would dominate on the post.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Doc will have no option but to do this while Rondo is out.

The team simply doesn't have enough creativity offensively without Rondo around. The offense will devolve into a much larger than healthy proportion of isolations and post ups.

Just the way it is.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I 100% agree. Also, if Doc would play Pierce at the 2 and Green at the 3, Pierce would dominate on the post.

....and get dominated at the other end.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Get it to Sully!

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

....and get dominated at the other end.
Yeah Korver demonstrated that pretty plainly. Paul can't get through screens quick enough against a shooter who can catch and shoot quickly.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
While watching the Miami game, it seemed like we were constantly forming an arc of players around and moving the ball to try and get a mid range jump shot.

Both KG and Sully are decent post up players and I think Pierce and Green could do some damage down there as well.

Why do we not stick Sully's big behind down there a few times a game and let him try to get something done?

Thoughts?
I cringe every time I see Jeff Green do his slow motion post up routine. Especially since the jump hook he's so fond of never goes down. If they decide to post him up I'd love to see him rip through and face the hoop. That way he can use his quickness and length to attack the hoop rather than getting bodied while he shoots a contested hook.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I was surprised how little we post up. 

Sully: 12-for-28 (42.9%)
Green:  15-for-54 (27.8%)
KG:  81-for-180 (45.0%)

That's 262 combined shot attempts, or about 6 post-up attempts per game for those three.  I think part of the reason we post-up relatively rarely is because our spacing has been terrible this year.  Additionally, it's just not a strength of a lot of our players; KG is our best player down low, but he doesn't like playing there.

I'd like to see Doc run more post plays, as well.  Sully had some real talent there in college; I'd like to see what he can do on this level.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That's 262 combined shot attempts, or about 6 post-up attempts per game for those three.  I think part of the reason we post-up relatively rarely is because our spacing has been terrible this year.  Additionally, it's just not a strength of a lot of our players; KG is our best player down low, but he doesn't like playing there.

I'd like to see Doc run more post plays, as well.  Sully had some real talent there in college; I'd like to see what he can do on this level.
6 post ups that result in shot attempts, I wonder how often we pass out of the post with KG? I don't imagine it'd add much to the number but KG is a very willing passer.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
"Why don't we post up more?"

Because we have Doc as coach.

This team hasn't made much of an effort to use a post game since Big Al left town.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Thoughts?

Sully doesn't know how to get his shot off against taller players yet, I don't know how much success he'll have posting up at this stage. KG can do it but not too much, I keep thinking back to the last game or two of the 2011 Miami series where he was posting up a lot (and with good success) early in the game and too spent to be effective in the second half.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

FWIW we're more efficient shooting mid-range jumpers than we are on the numbers you're citing.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Thoughts?

Sully doesn't know how to get his shot off against taller players yet, I don't know how much success he'll have posting up at this stage. KG can do it but not too much, I keep thinking back to the last game or two of the 2011 Miami series where he was posting up a lot (and with good success) early in the game and too spent to be effective in the second half.
He is a pretty smart player, I see him using his high likelihood of getting blocked to his advantage, by up faking and creating fouls. If after a few up fakes he doesn't have it, I think he'll kick it out.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
"Why don't we post up more?"

Because we have Doc as coach.

This team hasn't made much of an effort to use a post game since Big Al left town.
KG was in the post all the time in 2007-2008 in the playoffs. We ran our offense through Paul at the elbow and KG in the post.

Have we had a decent post player since Al left? I know the C's had a deal with Perkins that for every offensve rebound he got he'd get a post up.....

Edit: Decent post player other than KG, and with him we've used it when he's had an advantage. (especially in the playoffs)