Author Topic: Why don't we post up more?  (Read 5003 times)

Re: Why don't we post up more?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 04:59:55 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Agreed rocknroll

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I was surprised how little we post up. 

Sully: 12-for-28 (42.9%)
Green:  15-for-54 (27.8%)
KG:  81-for-180 (45.0%)

That's 262 combined shot attempts, or about 6 post-up attempts per game for those three.  I think part of the reason we post-up relatively rarely is because our spacing has been terrible this year.  Additionally, it's just not a strength of a lot of our players; KG is our best player down low, but he doesn't like playing there.

Can someone provide context by supplying numbers for how much other teams are posting up this season and how much the Celtics have posted up in previous seasons?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Mainly because rondo can't shoot.  You need to surround rondo with jump shooting big men who can open up the middle for rondo drives

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
KG will not be able to make it through an entire season if he posts up often. His body won't be able to take the extra pounding and punishment that often times result from posting up.  KG, due to his physical limitations, has redefined his game by being a jump shooter with the occasional post up.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
1.  We have no players willing to post up, other than Sully.

2.  Doc doesn't run plays for Sully, other than the occasional PNP or PNR (even rarer).

3.  Whoops, that's all we know.

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't mind an occasional post up play, but personally I'm not in love with playing post up basketball for a large percentage of the offense. 

I find it ironic that folks complain so much about how stagnant the offense is when Rondo is "pounding the ball" at the top of the key, but seem to be overlooking the fact that going to a guy in the low post and clearing out and letting him go to work generally tends to result in fairly stagnant offense as well. 

I remember that being a fairly consistent complaint when we had Big Al in town. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Mainly because rondo can't shoot.  You need to surround rondo with jump shooting big men who can open up the middle for rondo drives

I'm guessing you missed all the games that Shaq and Perk were on the Celts. Too bad, we played some good ball at the time.

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Rondo can shoot, this season. He was one of the best mid range jump shot shooters in the NBA.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Rondo can shoot, this season. He was one of the best mid range jump shot shooters in the NBA.

Then there are ALL jump shooters on this team... Bass, Bradley, Lee, Terry Pierce, Garnett, Green.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I'm not for driving it into the post all night - but every 2nd or 3rd time down the floor I'd like to get Sully, Pierce or Garnett into the post for a quick look, run some cutters by them, then kick it out if nothings happening.

But we have Sully, that's his strength - I'd at least give it a little more look. And he's a good passer as well.

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm not for driving it into the post all night - but every 2nd or 3rd time down the floor I'd like to get Sully, Pierce or Garnett into the post for a quick look, run some cutters by them, then kick it out if nothings happening.

But we have Sully, that's his strength - I'd at least give it a little more look. And he's a good passer as well.
This team's biggest weakness is a lack of a post game and players willing to drive into the lane.

I agree. I would love to see this team do what you are suggesting and to start taking advantage of Sully's post game.

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 11:49:49 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't mind an occasional post up play, but personally I'm not in love with playing post up basketball for a large percentage of the offense. 

I find it ironic that folks complain so much about how stagnant the offense is when Rondo is "pounding the ball" at the top of the key, but seem to be overlooking the fact that going to a guy in the low post and clearing out and letting him go to work generally tends to result in fairly stagnant offense as well. 

But.... but..... someone else would be pounding the ball other then that overrated Rondo!!!!!

sarcasm by the way.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

But.... but..... someone else would be pounding the ball other then that overrated Rondo!!!!!

sarcasm by the way.

Whether you are a post up team, an isolation team, a pick and roll team, a running guys off off the ball screens (we do a little bit of all those things) team, pounding the ball happens in the NBA.  I challenge someone to show me an NBA team where the ball is consistently moving at all times and never sticking in one player's hands for the better part of a shot clock in the half court offense. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

sarcasm by the way.

Whether you are a post up team, an isolation team, a pick and roll team, a running guys off off the ball screens (we do a little bit of all those things) team, pounding the ball happens in the NBA.  I challenge someone to show me an NBA team where the ball is consistently moving at all times and never sticking in one player's hands for the better part of a shot clock in the half court offense.
Oh, I agree with you 100%. I was just making fun of all the Rondo bashers here now.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 12:03:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

sarcasm by the way.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I was just making fun of all the Rondo bashers here now.

Oh, I got that.  I wasn't arguing with you.  I was just adding to your point. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: